Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2022, 08:58 AM   #1
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Camping Timeshare

Camping Timeshare. The new money maker. I'm sure you all know how difficult it is to get camp spots and I'm sure that many of you are familiar with Thousand Trails. For those of you that aren't

https://thousandtrails.com/

What a scam! We received a years membership with the purchase of our Monty. We got 14 free nights for any west coast campground in the network. We also got a free weekend at a camp spot on the delta. We booked the free weekend only to find out that we had to attend a 1 hour presentation. Well it wasn't exactly an hour because I got up and left after 20 minuets. I couldn't believe that I was sitting in a timeshare presentation for camping! I don't remember all of the details but roughly 7K buy in plus annual fees. It didn't save us any money. It was more like extortion! If you want to camp here pay us!

We have a couple really nice RV camping sites on the American river in Coloma which is about 20 minuets from us. One of them we've never been to but because of the price of fuel 20 minuets is very appealing. When I tried to get a spot of course they were full. I called Thousand Trails customer support and I was told that there was nothing they could do. They did give us 5 days in the middle of the week which we took. I commuted to work that week. We talked to the camp host who said that TT's has ruined camping for the long time regulars because they can't get in. I tried to get a spot for the 4th weekend but it was sold out. I continued to check as someone may have canceled. Yesterday I logged into my TT's account and checked again and nothing was available. Then I thought to check without logging in and low and behold there were spots available for only $103 per night! Holy crap $103....well I took it because it would cost me $300 in fuel to get to the coast and back. To my point steer clear of camping timeshares (Thousand Trails) and tell your friends. Camping shouldn't be this difficult!

Old 06-30-2022, 09:20 AM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
When we purchased (2004) our first hard-sided camper from Tom Raper RV in Richmond, Indiana (Which is NOW a Camping World).... upon leaving the office where we signed all the dotted lines, we were ushered to another area where we were confronted with a salesman offering a free week-end of camping. We took the information, made a booking, and a couple weeks later, we went.

We knew it was 1000 Trails, but had no idea what we were about to experience!

When we arrived at the campground (Batesville, Indiana) we were directed to an isolated part of the campground. We were the only ones in that entire section. No problem, we like the privacy anyway.

We started walking the campground and found there were other sections where campers (all new trailers) were staggered apart from each other. We also noticed the sections where everyone was crammed in. We were also given an appointment for the "presentation" on Sunday morning ... like 11:00 pm.

So, as we walked the campground, we bumped into some of those other "stragglers" out there and started talking. We found out they also were there to listen to the presentation. And when we stumbled into a couple of them that had already been through the presentation, we were shocked!

Back then, the initial membership was over $2000, plus the annual fees, and then limited to geographical areas, and then you still had to pay for campsites, but at a reduced cost. The same message was confirmed by 3 other couples who had been through the presentation.

It started making sense. They separated all the "visitors" from each other, as an attempt to keep us from talking and sharing about the presentations before "they" could high pressure us. And according to them all... it was VERY high pressure.

Well, .... for $2000 an initial fee, plus nearly a thousand dollars for annual fees, plus additonal fees for actually camping ... my wife and I said, "hell no!" We can do a LOT of camping at State Parks, Private Parks, National Forests, and Core of Engineer campsites, every day of the year and pay less.

So, on Sunday morning, by 10 AM, we were hitched, and pulled out. We never turned back.

Further research on 1000 Trails, there is only about 2 or 3 campgrounds in all of Indiana. We are not season campers. We like to travel. Being locked into a very, very limited number of campgrounds is just not our style of camping.

And yes ... it's a racket! But, some folks think 1000 Trails is the greatest thing since Apple pie was discovered!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 11:49 AM   #3
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Yeah they did that when we purchased our Monte in 17, we went and they put on the hard sale…part of the deal was I would get 100bucks for attending. I walked away with 100 bucks in my hand for attending and told them the place was a dump. Wife and I had a good dinner with that 100 bucks lol.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 12:00 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We have an annual lease at Voyager RV Resort in Tucson which also happens to be a Thousand Trails campground, but we don't have a Thousand Trails membership and wouldn't. With our annual lease we have our spot and don't have to worry about them being full. On the other hand we've pulled well over 200K miles and are ready to settle down. Our summer spot in Kansas is also permanent but we own that land.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 01:08 PM   #5
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
We were recently quoted $14,000 for their newest, super-dooper package. We laughed, and then laughed some more. I can tell you every time I call for a reservation we NEVER get thru to a human. They are good at returning your call after about 1-2 hours.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 02:36 PM   #6
Trevor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #29795
We’ve told them NO several times by phone, and email. They keep calling and emailing, and I’m good at saying no. One of these days I’m going to say a bunch of things that I won’t put on here.
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote