Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2022, 11:42 AM   #1
tvanoort

M.O.C. #31259
Battery removal

Can someone give me a link to a video on how to remove the battery? I have a 2021 Montana Legacy. My husband died in November and over the winter I didn't have it hooked to power. It is hooked to shore power now, but I think I ruined my battery this winter and I want to replace it. I'm not sure how to take it out? The RV upkeep was my husband's thing, so I've had a lot to learn. This is just one more thing...

tvanoort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 11:59 AM   #2
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
first off where are you located now? in a park, at your home ? if in a park i would ask at the front desk if there was someone who could help. it is not that hard but you need to be safe if you are going to do it, were gloves and safety glasses. make sure you do not hit any metal when removing the leads, go on utube it should have something there if not i found this, for a car but the same.
How to Remove a Car Battery

Safety First. Park the vehicle on a dry, flat surface and set the parking brake. ...
Disconnect Negative and Positive Cables. Start with the negative terminal and disconnect the negative battery cable. Look for a black cable and a minus (-) symbol.
Remove Battery and Restraint. Most cars feature a bar or a restraint of some sort to hold the battery in place. ...
hopefully you find a friend or neighbor to help that battery will be super heavy

wish i could help
good luck be safe
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 12:52 PM   #3
C&P RV
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30294
Sorry to hear about your loss.

A few things to consider:
-The battery weighs about 70 lbs. You should plan for that because the space is pretty tight in the front compartment to lift and remove the battery and place a new one in.
-Make sure you turn off power to the RV -or- turn off the circuit breaker for the Converter. Even though the battery may be bad, there is still power at the battery cable if the converter is on.
- The battery should be under a plastic cover with a small 2-3 in hose that vents to the front of the RV above the door to the compartment.
- Like the instructions above, disconnect the negative connection 1st. Use a flashlight to look for the NEG (-) stamped into the case of the battery. Don't trust the color of the cable!! You will need an adjustable wrench - try not to use pliers as you may mess up the fasteners.
- make sure to secure the two cables so the metal ends cannot touch each other or any metal in the RV until you get the new battery in place.
- make note of the way the old battery is oriented so you put the new battery in the same way so the cables will connect easier. take a pic with your phone.
- install in reverse order - Positive cable first, then negative cable. Put the cover back over the battery once you are sure it's working.

Good luck. And don't forget to periodically check the battery water level. The plates inside should always be covered, but most batteries you fill to the bottom of the circle. Don't overfill because it will just boil out and leak onto your parking area/site. Use distilled water.
C&P RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 02:38 PM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
As mention above, disconnect power, turn off the converter circuit breaker.
TAKE PICTURES !!!
Also mentioned above batteries are heavy. Help would make it easier.
Tools: adjustable wrench (2 if necessary). Flat head (straight slot) screw driver, to pry with.
Disconnect the black negative cable first.
Then the red positive cable.
I tuck the cables back out of the way so they don't touch anything.
Lift the battery out.

Make sure you get a DEEP CYCLE battery.
While at the store, have the guys mark the positive and negative posts with a white sharpie. Makes it easier to see when working in a dark battery compartment.

When you install the new battery be VERY careful to be sure the positive and negative cables go to the correct post. If not, even for an instant, it will blow the reverse polarity protection fuses in the converter to protect the converter.

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery first.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	12567  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 02:39 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
If you are able to tow it, or have someone who is, you can probably take it to an auto parts store and have them do it for you. I know some will replace a car battery for you. Don’t know why they wouldn’t do an RV. Call and ask.

Getting the cables off and back on is generally the easy part. Lifting that thing out of the tight compartment and a new one back in is hard due to the weight.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 04:06 PM   #6
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I got one of those 'handles' thing that attaches to the posts and make for lifting in and out much easier. You still have to get under there and get some leverage to lift it out.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote