Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2005, 03:43 PM   #1
drpuckett
Established Member

M.O.C. #1904
Travel To Nova Scotia via East Coast

I am thinking of making a trip to Nova Scotia in July via the east coast. Any feedback from someone or anyone who has experienced this trip would be appreciated as I have never been in that area. I will be leaving from Tennessee. Suggested routes, campgrounds, etc. would be helpful.

drpuckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 02:52 AM   #2
Montana_31
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #31
You didn't say how much time you have for your trip. We were still working at the time and only had 3 weeks vacation. We used the ferry out of St Johns, New Brunswick. It saved us 638 miles of driving and several hours. At the time (2001), it was $298 Canadian for the trip. There are other ferries, but I could make reservations for the one out of St Johns and another one was an 11-hour trip.

We drove from Maryland to Maine and then on to New Brunswick. We highly recommend doing the Cabot Trial in Nova Scotia, but don't tow your camper on it. Make it a day trip. If you go over to PEI don't take the ferry back, instead use the Confederation Bridge. They don't charge to go on the island, only to get off it. The ferry was 3 or 4 times more expensive then the bridge.

As far as campgrounds, we stayed at several during our trip, and they were all nice. We choose them from the Passport America catalog.
Montana_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 05:59 AM   #3
Bill DeMeulle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2740
My wife and I just returned from a cruise going from Montreal to Boston with lay-overs at Sydney & Halifax Nova Scotia. I took a few pictures of the area, if your interested I will send them to you, please sned me your web address. bill@demeulle.org
Bill DeMeulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 09:54 AM   #4
Dental Floss Tycoon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1817
Having lived in Nova Scotia for about eight years, I can honestly say that you will enjoy yourselves immensely. The people are great and will bend over backwards if you need help.

Stick to the private campgrounds as the provincial campgrounds have no hookups.

As Bob and Donna suggested, do the Cabot Trail. But not with the trailer attached because it is very hilly and the brakes will get a workout.

Buskerfest is the last week of July/first week of August in Halifax (check dates). It's just a very big party with lots of street performers.

Have fun, wish I could go with you!!
Dental Floss Tycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 04:23 PM   #5
drpuckett
Established Member

M.O.C. #1904
Thank you fellow MOCS for replying to my request. This info is very helpful. I am just retired in Jan. so the time element is not a real big factor. Also, Bob and Donna, you said you traveled from Md. to Me. and I am interested in the route you took as we will be leaving out of Atlantic City, N.J. Once again, thanks a million for the feedback. If any of you ever come to Tn. I hope that if I can be of any assistance you will let me know.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:15 AM   #6
Montana_31
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #31
We used 95 most of the way up. If I were to do it again, I would avoid 95 near New York City and near Boston. The toll on the George Washington Bridge was excessive especially with the condition of that bridge.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:51 AM   #7
drpuckett
Established Member

M.O.C. #1904
Thanks Bob & Donna for the info on 95. I think if possible I would like to go up the coast as much as possible simply for the scenery. I can imagine how bad it could be in the NY or Boston vicinity. Any suggestions for an alternate route around those two?
Old 06-16-2005, 12:48 AM   #8
Montana_31
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #31
If you are a Good Sam member, you can use their website to plan your trip. You can avoid tolls and major metro roads and choose the scenic route. I mapped it from Atlantic City to York, Maine and it was 667 miles and over 15 hours driving time taking the scenic route. I'll email the website page, but I'm not sure you will be able to use it sinceit requires a password.