Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2004, 11:41 AM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
May have to become a defector to Ford....

I have been concerned about the Intermediate Steering Shaft problem in Chevy trucks since I first read about it on this forum and over at RVnet. So, I finally got the time to take my truck into a local Chevrolet dealer to inquire about the problem.
From my description of the symptons the service writer feels I do have a problem but they need to bring it into the shop to actually diagnose the situation. Sounds good BUT...
As my 2003 truck is out of warranty GM may or may not cover it. May not cover it???? This is a situation going on since 1999 and GM may not cover it??? Since 1999 GM knowingly has been putting out defective Intermediate Steering Shafts and mine may or may not fall under any kind of warranty????
Than the service writer tells me that I have to call GM myself and speak to them about the situation. What happened to the days when the service department gave you service which included making any necessary calls to the manufacturer concerning warranties. Especially on a situation that's been going on since 1999. Maybe my particular truck isn't on record as having a problem in the first 36,000 miles but GM is sure as he&& on record as having a problem with the Intermediate Steering Shaft since 1999.
AND than she, the service writer, tells me that GM has at least a 3 month National backorder on all defective Intermediate Steering Shafts parts. A 3 month backorder on a situation that's been going on since 1999. She didn't show the least bit of concern when I informed her that this truck was my only means of transportation.
Anyway, as I didn't care for her attitude and my father-in-law has no love for that particular dealer anyway, on Friday I will be taking it into a different Chevy dealer to get their story.

Defecting to Ford????...
If I have to put out one nickle to get this "On Going Problem Since 1999 Defective Intermediate Steering Shaft" fixed I will get back in my truck and head it for the Ford dealer just 100 yards down the road.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 12:05 PM   #2
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Glenn, that's what I done with my Ford, I took it across from the ford dealer to a chevy. dealer in 1992 and been happy with chevy. since. It have 360,000's and still running great.
Glenn, Write GM and explain your concern/s and let them know how you were treated at the dealer ship. It works. I retiered from Ford...
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 01:51 PM   #3
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Dodge/Cummins?

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 02:07 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Come on in, the water's fine.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 02:14 PM   #5
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
I love the 100K warranty on the Ford. In fact, the last trip out, at 99,855.9 miles, I had a warranty claim that valued over $700 (electonic acclerator pedel replacement). Cost me $0. I have owned Chevy, Dodge, and Ford, but service speaks loudly. Of course that is why there are so many different car companies....a choice for everyone.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 03:05 PM   #6
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Having had issues outside of warranty with both Ford and Chevy, I can only go by my experience. I had $700 worth of transmission work done on a 1984 Ford Ranger in 1986 at 45,000 miles. Ford said that's normal wear after I took it all the way through the customer complaint process. I lost an automatic tranny at 60k miles on a Blazer and called Chevy. The oil cooler lines worked loose and lost the fluid. They paid for half of that repair plus half of some front end work that was also found. My father was a mailman and heard lots of stories where GM handled claims well out of warranty. "But" you have to play the game and call them. They don't just offer - hence the dealer not calling. I had an issue with my new GM diesel - bad solenoid on the turbo. The dealer had it twice to fix it and GM didn't even air ship the part. But, they did get it fixed. None of them are perfect. All three of them better hope Toyota doesn't start making heavy duty diesel trucks or they will all be in trouble.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 09:17 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Boy Glenn,
I am not sure which way you want to go on this one, I think it was Sue who was having trouble with her Ford Powerstroke. If memory is right, her Ford could not keep the turbo air intake line connected to the turbo. Take you choice I guess, no power out of the motor or steering shaft viberation. I would really give GM a call after you talk to the other dealership. I have seen GM do some pretty amazing things for loyal customers. Hey why not take a look at the 2005 Duramax cranking out 605ft/lbs of torque and 310hp. Might be the perfect time to trade in. On the serious side, I hope that Chevy can get your problem fixed and have you back on the road in no time.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 12:56 AM   #8
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Hey Glenn,

They obviously know you own a Montana and figure you're used to paying for repairs. (LOL)

We're planning to hit Tampa RV show in January ... lets try to be in the same place at the same time this time.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 02:34 AM   #9
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Glenn
Sorry that you are having problems with the GM truck. Used to have one too. Went with ford and have had no problems. Thanks for the info you wrote on the fire extinguishers. I'm guilty along with many more owners who never gave them a second thought.
Ken and Velda Taylor
Dahlgren Va
2003 3655FL Montana/Ford F350 Diesel
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 03:42 AM   #10
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
Glenn, good luck on getting your truck taken care of, My wifes 04 Tahoe has one of those back ordered shafts on order, In the past 8 years I have had a least 7 trucks, Ford/Powerstroke, Chevy/Dmax and now a Dodge, they all have issues, its just a matter of finding the right dealer just like with our Montys, My last Ford had 19K miles on it and it was falling apart, Engine surges/skips, A/C quit working, steering wander, rattles, I traded that lemon. prior to that my Fords were good trucks, my 03 D max was a ticker, could not stand it, The jury is still out on the Dodge, so far, so good, I love the way the truck drives and rides, just a matter of how she holds up. Call GM, complain, it cant hurt.
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 05:33 AM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
OK I spoke directly to Chevrolet this morning and I have an appointment for next Tuesday at the Chevy dealer in St Pete. Turns out the Chevy customer service office is located right here in Tampa.
Anyway, I take the truck in on Tuesday at which time the dealer will diagnose the problem and with Chevy's "approval" repair or replace the shaft. BUT there is still no guarantee that it will not cost me. Guess I gotta wait til Tuesday to decide whether I defect or not.

BTW-Thank you one and all for letting me Rant. I guess I just needed a place to blow off a little steam. I am feeling a whole lot better. Well at least til next Tuesday.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:27 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good luck, Glenn. Hope they get it fixed for you. I think we can come up with horror stories and good stories no matter what the brand. I used to drive GM until I got tired of the service writers knowing me by name when I drove in. So I switched to Ford and have been super happy ever since. Yet others can tell us exactly the opposite story. So I guess they're all good and they're all bad. In any case, you like yours so I hope they get it right for you.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 03:31 AM   #13
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
UPDATE...

As scheduled I took the truck into the local Chevy dealer this AM and at first I was a little apprehensive. After some initial info gathering the service writer asked if I was the original owner. "Well no", I answered, "I am the second owner and in fact the truck came out of Canada". He didn't bat an eye and asked me to wait in the waiting room. I asked "Does it make a difference that I am not the original owner?" He answered "Well it could". I could see the $$$$$ signs. Shortly afterwards I stepped outside for some air and here comes the service writer. He asks me "How long you gonna be in Florida?" "Till May" I said. He continued inside. His knowing I was a fulltime RVer I just thought the question was just casual conversation and didn't think anything of it.
Shortly there after I was paged to report to the "cashier" that the truck is ready to go. Cashier? OK here comes the bad news. As I picked up the paper work the cashier said there was "no charge" and that they had greased the shaft and ordered a new one. Now I'm feeling a bit better as I see I will be getting the new parts at no charge. I asked "how long will it be before the parts come in?" She says "Chevy has an extensive back order and it could be months" Guess it wasn't "casual conversation" afterall.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:47 AM   #14
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Glenn,
I am glad to hear that Chevy sounds like they are coming through for you. Chevy has been nothing but good to me and I am glad to hear they are still taking care of their customers. Keep us "updated" on how it all continues.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 11:03 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That's good news, Glenn! Any manufacturer who wants to keep customers these days best treat existing customers well. Sounds like you got a good dealer, too.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:37 AM   #16
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Good Luck Glenn. As a graduate of GMI (more than a few years ago) I am always glad to hear about GM doing good.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 11:50 AM   #17
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Well Dave and you'll also like this part.

Today I received a follow up call from Chevy Customer Service.
They were just checking in to see how everything went at the dealer.
Now that's Customer SERVICE!!

Kinda makes me feel good knowing the 2 biggest investments that I own have people that will be there for me.

I think I'll be dragging a Montana with a Chevy for many years to come.

Old 12-15-2004, 02:29 PM   #18
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

Boy Glenn,
I am not sure which way you want to go on this one, I think it was Sue who was having trouble with her Ford Powerstroke. If memory is right, her Ford could not keep the turbo air intake line connected to the turbo.
It was me, but, I do have to say that 80% of the folks who haul with horses drive Fords. Mine was just a lemon.
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 12:09 PM   #19
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Final update...
Quote:
quote:I asked "how long will it be before the parts come in?" She says "Chevy has an extensive back order and it could be months".
I guess it wasn't that extensive afterall. I received a call last evening that the shaft was in. Went in today at 8AM and was on the road by 9AM.

Guess I'll scratch that [s]May have to become a defector to Ford....[/s]
Old 12-21-2004, 02:02 PM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm glad to hear they got it fixed for you, and quickly, Glenn. There's nothing worse than having your TV having problems, especially when it's also your only transportation. Sounds like they took good care of you.