Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2021, 09:02 PM   #1
chadthomasson
Established Member

M.O.C. #29317
Water heater issue in delivery of used unit

Just received transport delivery (sight unseen) of my 3820FK today from a friend of a friend. During setup, I went inside to burp out the lines and noticed I wasn’t getting any pressure on the faucets. I went back out and water was running out of the water heater access door. Upon removing that, I saw that there was an open threaded hole and what looks like a heating element (not sure as I’m brand new to to RV life) laying in the bottom of that cavity. I don’t see anywhere to attach wires. There is also a lot of calcium buildup. Is this, in fact an element, or is it just a plug that was removed for winterizing? I’m wondering if I should feel “some kind of way” as in did he know this and just didn’t tell me or is it as simple as screwing that in and running it?

I attempted to attach a photo, but not sure if it is there. If not, I’ll try again in a comment below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9032599C-9121-4E7D-BAFB-381736984E2E.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	9857  

chadthomasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:04 PM   #2
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
That is your anode. It keeps your Water heater from scaling up. It’s a consumable item. Note the size and brand and order a spare on Amazon. Yes, screw it in and run.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:07 PM   #3
chadthomasson
Established Member

M.O.C. #29317
Wow you guys are fast on the replies! And an awesome source of info for newbs! I’m staying in a park that is owned by an RV dealer. The park is right behind their shop. Is this something they should have on the shelf and I could Teflon tape up and install and be good to go?
Old 08-04-2021, 09:12 PM   #4
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Yep. Teflon tape and screw it in and go! Yes this website is definitely a place to get help and info. Pretty much anything about fifth wheels you need to know, can be obtained here.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:14 PM   #5
chadthomasson
Established Member

M.O.C. #29317
You guys rock! I’m pretty mechanically minded, but I have a lot to learn about all the clockwork that makes RV’s tick. So glad I found this site and glad to be a part of it.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:26 PM   #6
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
In the files section you will find a water heater manual.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...hp?do=cat&id=3

Lost of other good info on the files section.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:40 PM   #7
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
You don’t need to buy a new one unless that one is down to just a wire. Just use the one you have until you get another one. Replace when it has disintegrated. Usually about once a year. Sounds like you should pull that new unit up to the rally in Goshen. Still openings.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:44 PM   #8
chadthomasson
Established Member

M.O.C. #29317
Haha, well I would if the pesky ol’ work life didn’t get in the way of my leisure life. I don’t know if you can tell from the picture, but it’s pretty encumbered with lime and calcium scale buildup. Is that normal? If so, I’ll reuse it and keep on keeping on.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:47 PM   #9
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Yep, that’s what they do. They are a consumable. When there isn’t much left on the wire, you replace it. That looks like a couple of months use. A new one will look like that in a few months.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:54 PM   #10
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Here’s what Suburban has to say about anodes:
“All Suburban water heaters are protected by a magnesium or aluminum anode to prolong the life of the tank. Under normal use, the anode rod will deteriorate. Because of this, we recommend it be replaced annually or when consumption or weight loss of the rod is greater than 75%. Note: Water with high levels of iron and/or sulfate will increase the rate of deterioration. To extend anode life, drain water from tank whenever the RV is not being used. Avoid any extended time of non-use with water in the tank.”
Old 08-04-2021, 10:08 PM   #11
chadthomasson
Established Member

M.O.C. #29317
Thank you guys so much. You’ve saved me a wad of folding money, I’m sure.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:14 PM   #12
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Chad-- First of all WELCOME to the Forum. You have found a great place to learn about our Montana and to ask questions about it. You'll get the answers from the experts-- actual Montana owners.
After further inspection of the photo, if it were me I would put a new anode rod into the water heater and keep the one on the ledge as a spare just incase.... Once you put the new anode rod in, make sure you fill the water heater BEFORE you turn the ELECTRIC power switch inside switch panel. If you turn it on without water the electric heating element will burn out in a matter of a few seconds. Then you will need to replace it. Also there is another switch on the Suburban water heater that is on the outside of the unit. It is the toggle switch at the left bottom of the water heater. It must be turned to the ON position before you can heat the water even if the inside switch is turned on. Just some helpful hints.
Again, Welcome Aboard the Forum and ask away on any questions you might have on your unit and you will get the correct answers here.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:16 PM   #13
chadthomasson
Established Member

M.O.C. #29317
Thanks @Rondo
Old 08-05-2021, 07:13 AM   #14
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Welcome to the forums. Maybe a picture is worth a thousand words:

In the photo below, rod # 5 and 6 (from the left) are completely used up.

3rd from the left still has some life left in it, but if it were mine, I'd replace.

All the others still have a more use in them.

4th from the right looks like a heating element, not an anode rod. Just fyi.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:33 PM   #15
Darold
Established Member

M.O.C. #26944
Water heater switches

Can I leave the outside switch on the water heater on and control the water heater from the inside switch? Does turning the inside water heater switch off prevent the element burning out when there's no water in the tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
Chad-- First of all WELCOME to the Forum. You have found a great place to learn about our Montana and to ask questions about it. You'll get the answers from the experts-- actual Montana owners.
After further inspection of the photo, if it were me I would put a new anode rod into the water heater and keep the one on the ledge as a spare just incase.... Once you put the new anode rod in, make sure you fill the water heater BEFORE you turn the ELECTRIC power switch inside switch panel. If you turn it on without water the electric heating element will burn out in a matter of a few seconds. Then you will need to replace it. Also there is another switch on the Suburban water heater that is on the outside of the unit. It is the toggle switch at the left bottom of the water heater. It must be turned to the ON position before you can heat the water even if the inside switch is turned on. Just some helpful hints.
Again, Welcome Aboard the Forum and ask away on any questions you might have on your unit and you will get the correct answers here.
Darold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:49 PM   #16
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I can't say for sure, but am pretty sure the newer models (mine is 2013 and doesn't have this) have both the electric and gas switches inside - much more convenient. Can't tell you how many times we go to take a shower and the water is cold 'cause I forgot to turn it on outside. Then I have to go outside and turn it on usually after I am already for bed!! lol

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 04:03 PM   #17
Darold
Established Member

M.O.C. #26944
Thanks. We have a 2012 Hickory and both gas and electric water heater switches are on the inside panel. I discovered on a cold morning that the inside switch only turns on the heater if the outside switch is also on. Now I want to know if the opposite is also true--that both must be off before it is really off. If so, the inside switch is really a waste since the outside switch is has to be turned both on and off.
Old 08-11-2021, 04:26 PM   #18
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
If your inside switch is off, your water heater is off. It is good practice when draining your water heater for flushing or Winterizing to turn off the outside switch as a precaution. To clarify, both switches need to be on to get power to the heater element. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 08-11-2021, 05:41 PM   #19
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
Not all anodes are correct for all water heaters. Check your water heater model to determine if the donor material on your anode should be aluminum or magnesium. Be sure to use Teflon tape on the threads when installing the new anode. The donor material on an anode is designed to erode. This erosion protects the water heater tank from erosion and ultimately leaks. Even with the worst of water, an anode should last several years. Yes, after even one year, the donor material on the anode will be pitted. This is normal. In the middle of the donor material is a steel rod to support the donor material. When you can see more steel rod than donor material, it is time to replace the anode.
Old 08-11-2021, 06:12 PM   #20
Darold
Established Member

M.O.C. #26944
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rames14 View Post
If your inside switch is off, your water heater is off. It is good practice when draining your water heater for flushing or Winterizing to turn off the outside switch as a precaution. To clarify, both switches need to be on to get power to the heater element. Good luck and enjoy.

Tags
water heater