Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2021, 01:34 PM   #1
gwsmith1
Established Member

M.O.C. #20020
LED night/accent light addition

We recently upgraded to a 2016 3710FL. We had seen several other 5th wheels that have blue led night/accent lights in places like the hallway and kitchen. I would like to add some to help in the middle of the night find the bathroom,etc without having to turn on any lights. Ideally they would be something with a photocell so they automatically come on and 12 volt instead of battery powered. I was just curious if anyone has done an addition like this or has come up with any similar solutions.

Thanks in advance !
Gary

gwsmith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 02:59 PM   #2
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
I installed a 12 volt blue led strip to illuminate the steps and act as a nightlight. Switch to the right. At night we keep the water closet door open.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200215_100018.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	9228  
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:42 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Gary, we went the cheaper and easier way and went to Harbor Freight and purchased a couple battery operated sensing lights. The lens is blue so there is not that blast of white light in your eyes when we get up in the middle of the night to use the "water closet". We have put one in the hallway and another in the bathroom so we don't have to turn on the white light there also. The blue light is just enough to see where and what you are doing without getting blinded by the bright lights when turned on.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 10:33 AM   #4
gwsmith1
Established Member

M.O.C. #20020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
I installed a 12 volt blue led strip to illuminate the steps and act as a nightlight. Switch to the right. At night we keep the water closet door open.
That is a good idea ! I assume you added the switch or was it an existing switch that you used for power ? Does that light have a photo sensor on it or is it just on off ? Ideally I would like to find something that we do not have to remember to turn on and off.

Thanks for sharing !
Old 05-23-2021, 10:46 AM   #5
gwsmith1
Established Member

M.O.C. #20020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
Gary, we went the cheaper and easier way and went to Harbor Freight and purchased a couple battery operated sensing lights. The lens is blue so there is not that blast of white light in your eyes when we get up in the middle of the night to use the "water closet". We have put one in the hallway and another in the bathroom so we don't have to turn on the white light there also. The blue light is just enough to see where and what you are doing without getting blinded by the bright lights when turned on.
We went the battery route as a temporary solution until I can figure out something more permanent. All I could find were white which is pretty harsh in the middle of the night. Looks like a trip to Harbor Freight is on the agenda today ! Thanks for the info!
Old 05-23-2021, 01:06 PM   #6
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsmith1 View Post
That is a good idea ! I assume you added the switch or was it an existing switch that you used for power ? Does that light have a photo sensor on it or is it just on off ? Ideally I would like to find something that we do not have to remember to turn on and off.

Thanks for sharing !
I installed the switch. It would be pretty easy to install a photocell to make it automatically go on and off. Only problem...if you turn on overhead lights, it would go off.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote