Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2020, 03:18 PM   #1
Sdexte
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24981
Roof repair

Hi all, I have a 2019 HC 373RD and a few months back I was cleaning the roof and noticed a small (about 1/2") tear in the roofing membrane right at the edge of the roof above the bedroom. I'm thinking I caught a tree branch at one of the state parks we had been at. I applied some flex seal tape on it and it appears that it sealed really well. Prior to finding it I know we had some periods rain and not knowing when exactly the tear happened I do not know how much moisture might have gotten under the roof membrane. Well today I was up on the roof again and noticed that the area near the tear did not look right and when I checked, pressing on the roof in that area, I noticed that it felt somewhat soft especially along the outer edge so I am assuming water had gotten in and caused some decay to the roofing material which I am guessing is plywood. It does not appear to be anything that is structurally detrimental at this point and I am considering my options for repairing it. My first thought is to cut the membrane and flip it back to expose the affected area of the roofing and replace that, then flip the membrane back and apply dicor ( I think that is what it is) tape to seal it back up. I am wondering if anyone has any knowledge or experience in this type of repair. We are full timers so I do not have the option of taking it in somewhere and leaving it to get repaired. I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks

Sdexte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 03:47 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
It sold to me like you have a good plan. Roll the roof back let it dry if it’s wet. It shouldn’t be wet though. The roof is vented. Whatever is bad replace the small area then put the roof back down. Wait for a few days of good weather get a tarp just in case and fix the roof.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 03:53 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Just a suggestion, use EternaBond rather than Flexseal to cover the edges of the repair. Then Dicor the edge of the Eternabond to ensure a good, leak proof seal.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 04:14 PM   #4
Sdexte
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Just a suggestion, use EternaBond rather than Flexseal to cover the edges of the repair. Then Dicor the edge of the Eternabond to ensure a good, leak proof seal.
Thanks I couldn’t remember what the tape was called.
Old 12-11-2020, 05:48 AM   #5
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
More than likely your decking is 7/16" OSB. Mine is. Need to replace decking from a trust to a trust to support. Be careful with depth of cut as there is a reflective membrane right under decking.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 06:51 AM   #6
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Not sure if it is true on the newer models but on my dinosaur the outer edge of the roof is sheet metal forming the radius bend so the roof membrane material can meet the exterior wall. That always feels soft but it is actually just the sheet metal flexing. You don't know when the tear happen and you describe the roof as being somewhat soft. The roof is always softer between the truss, and that sheet metal edging has a lot of give. If it were mine, before I started cutting the roofing to look for a problem I'd patch the hole as Carl suggested and continue to monitor the situation with monthly inspections. Just my thoughts!
Old 12-11-2020, 07:42 AM   #7
Sdexte
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24981
Quote:
Originally Posted by psomers View Post
More than likely your decking is 7/16" OSB. Mine is. Need to replace decking from a trust to a trust to support. Be careful with depth of cut as there is a reflective membrane right under decking.
Thanks for that info, do you by chance know what type of fasteners they use to hold the OSB to the trusses?
Old 12-11-2020, 08:06 AM   #8
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcol View Post
Not sure if it is true on the newer models but on my dinosaur the outer edge of the roof is sheet metal forming the radius bend so the roof membrane material can meet the exterior wall. That always feels soft but it is actually just the sheet metal flexing. You don't know when the tear happen and you describe the roof as being somewhat soft. The roof is always softer between the truss, and that sheet metal edging has a lot of give. If it were mine, before I started cutting the roofing to look for a problem I'd patch the hole as Carl suggested and continue to monitor the situation with monthly inspections. Just my thoughts!

Excellent advice.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 08:23 AM   #9
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
There are several factory tour videos you can find to show how the roof is constructed. I like the "Home with the Hoopers" video here...

https://www.keystonerv.com/keystone-...s-factory-tour

Go forward to about the 10:45 minute mark and start watching. The workers are using power guns to shoot the fasteners thru the OSB deck, and based on other threads I have seen about the roof construction, they are probably shooting staples. Some folks have reported staples working thier way out and pushing up on the roof membrane (not necessarily poking thru the membrane). The general advice for what to do when you find a staple poking up on the roof membrane - is to do NOTHING. It ain't broke. Trying to pound it back in will likely damage the membrane.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-12-11_9-15-12.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	8003  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 12:31 PM   #10
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
i'd wait and take it to the national rally next september and have a tech look at it and offer suggestions. also i would not us anything but EternaBond something made for rv roofs.
you may be getting into a huge project when you start talking about replacing OSB.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 01:12 PM   #11
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
Our roof has no damage in 3 years of being full time, although we have a few bubbles, we are scheduled to have our roof redone by RV Armor in January for a piece of mind as we have decided to extend our 5 year plan of living in our rig, and it has a transferable lifetime warranty.
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 08:22 PM   #12
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
Our 2011 has screws holding the osb down. I know this because I replaced the roof this summer with Crazy Seal and had to take out a bunch of super sharp square drive screws to replace a piece of osb.
bleedmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 06:38 AM   #13
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdexte View Post
Thanks for that info, do you by chance know what type of fasteners they use to hold the OSB to the trusses?
I see bleedmichigan answered your question. OSB screwed down.
Also see from reading this thread I mis-spelled truss. Guess at my age getting senile.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
Old 12-12-2020, 11:37 AM   #14
Sdexte
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24981
Update on my roof repair... I am going to just file an insurance claim and get a whole new roof. Problem solved. Also FYI I was told that there is a layer of luan on top of the OSB so that is probably what is soft and the OSB is still solid.

Thanks for the input.
Old 12-13-2020, 06:17 AM   #15
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
No luan on mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0565-800x600.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	8023   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0566.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	8024   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0570.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	8025  

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
Old 12-13-2020, 05:56 PM   #16
JBS
Established Member

M.O.C. #20108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdexte View Post
Hi all, I have a 2019 HC 373RD and a few months back I was cleaning the roof and noticed a small (about 1/2") tear in the roofing membrane right at the edge of the roof above the bedroom. I'm thinking I caught a tree branch at one of the state parks we had been at. I applied some flex seal tape on it and it appears that it sealed really well. Prior to finding it I know we had some periods rain and not knowing when exactly the tear happened I do not know how much moisture might have gotten under the roof membrane. Well today I was up on the roof again and noticed that the area near the tear did not look right and when I checked, pressing on the roof in that area, I noticed that it felt somewhat soft especially along the outer edge so I am assuming water had gotten in and caused some decay to the roofing material which I am guessing is plywood. It does not appear to be anything that is structurally detrimental at this point and I am considering my options for repairing it. My first thought is to cut the membrane and flip it back to expose the affected area of the roofing and replace that, then flip the membrane back and apply dicor ( I think that is what it is) tape to seal it back up. I am wondering if anyone has any knowledge or experience in this type of repair. We are full timers so I do not have the option of taking it in somewhere and leaving it to get repaired. I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks
To me you are better off to turn into insurance, if the roof is not fixed 100 percent correctly you will regret it down the line with all kinds of possibilities of damaging walls, flooring all from an improper or not completely dried out roof before repair.
JBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:43 AM   #17
Gonefishin

M.O.C. #26493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
I had a similar problem, The roof was starting to peel back where the membrane meets the nose cap. Caught it before moisture got in. Cut away the loose membrane and applied Eternabond tape. then Dicor lap sealant on the edges. Beats the $10K Camping World wants to stick me for a new roof membrane. Question: I plan to seal the roof this spring with Dicor roof sealant. Can this be applied over Eternabond tape?
Gonefishin is offline   Reply With Quote