Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2019, 11:12 AM   #1
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Montana back up camera on Ford display

Has anyone been successful in getting the back up camera on the RV working on the Ford display? Which cameras work with the Ford display (I have the Furrion that came with the Montana)?

The Ford manual has almost no information on the subject.

"Auxiliary Camera: Note: The auxiliary camera works with trailers up to 50 ft.
The auxiliary camera system is a variant of the rear view camera. It is designed to display a rear view image from the back of the trailer while reversing."

Not a word about which camera(s) work with the display (a camera did not come with the truck) or how to set it up.

scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:27 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Can’t help with the camera. But considering Ford has no control over the trailer camera manufacturers, how many models there are, how they work, and how they change from year to year, it is no surprise the manual would include little info. What may be valid this year may be completely wrong next year.

I would expect the camera manufacturer to provide interface information for their camera to the truck.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:19 PM   #3
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
The Ford OEM camera is hardwired from camera to the special receptacle next to the 7 way female plug on the rear of the truck. The dash display receives the picture by virtue of a fully hardwired connection from display back to the rear of the trailer. To make the truck's dash display work, a special Ford supplied harness must be installed in the trailer, that begins at the Ford OEM camera mounted on the rear of the trailer, and extends to the front of the trailer plus and additional 7' to make it the same length as the 7 way. In other words, if you want to use the dash display of your 2017-2019 truck, you must use all of the components Ford supplies. No mixing and matching. The Ford OEM harness also has a hardwired tire monitor receiver included that receives signal from up to 6 tires and then relays the info through the harness to the dash.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:11 PM   #4
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post
The Ford OEM camera is hardwired from camera to the special receptacle next to the 7 way female plug on the rear of the truck. The dash display receives the picture by virtue of a fully hardwired connection from display back to the rear of the trailer. To make the truck's dash display work, a special Ford supplied harness must be installed in the trailer, that begins at the Ford OEM camera mounted on the rear of the trailer, and extends to the front of the trailer plus and additional 7' to make it the same length as the 7 way. In other words, if you want to use the dash display of your 2017-2019 truck, you must use all of the components Ford supplies. No mixing and matching. The Ford OEM harness also has a hardwired tire monitor receiver included that receives signal from up to 6 tires and then relays the info through the harness to the dash.

Lets hope someone at RAM is reading this and goes "I think we can do better"!!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:53 PM   #5
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
Chevy and GMC have tow trailer cameras planned for high end 2020 models. We'll have to wait and see what they come up with. It would be nice if they were wireless! They've had 3 years to engineer something more user friendly to install than Ford's.
I've installed the Ford OEM hard wired system on the last 2 of my trucks. pretty much a PITA to do.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:32 PM   #6
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Chevy and GMC have tow trailer cameras planned for high end 2020 models. We'll have to wait and see what they come up with. It would be nice if they were wireless! They've had 3 years to engineer something more user friendly to install than Ford's.
I've installed the Ford OEM hard wired system on the last 2 of my trucks. pretty much a PITA to do.
I suspect like a lot of things it was more of a sales gimmick. "Look we are 5th wheeler friendly" "we have a built in rear camera" "but it only comes on our top trim model". Yeah just don't try to actually install one!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:14 PM   #7
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Thanks for the info on the Ford system. Just to make sure I understand: I have to purchase a Ford camera and Ford wiring harness, and then run the thing all the way to the back of the trailer? However, there is no “special receptacle” next to either my bumper mounted or bed mounted 7-way connector. So much for the $2000 “Tow Technology Bundle” that includes the “ultimate trailer tow camera”.

Also, do I understand correctly that the 4 tire pressure monitors that I purchased from Ford for the trailer are worthless without the wiring harness? I was led to believe they were wireless. Guess, those are going back.

As a side note, I just discovered today that the F450 itself does not have tire pressure monitors. The F350 does, but apparently something about the 19.5" wheels on the F450; no monitors.

Guess my best option is to stick with my Furrion camera/display and my TST TPMS for both the truck and RV. I was hoping to get rid of the extra displays.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:18 PM   #8
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
Guess my best option is to stick with my Furrion camera/display and my TST TPMS for both the truck and RV. I was hoping to get rid of the extra displays.
Guess those TPMS sensors won't work on the truck; I just took a look at the rear (dual) wheels and don't see any way to put the valve stem mounted sensors on.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:30 AM   #9
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
The Ford OEM camera is hardwired from camera to the special receptacle next to the 7 way female plug on the rear of the truck.
When you get a moment, would you post a photo of the "special receptacle"?
I paid $2000 for the “Tow Technology Bundle” that includes the “ultimate trailer tow camera” but cannot find this receptacle next to either my bed mounted or bumper mounted 7-way. Here is what I have:

Thank for all the info; you know more about it than the Ford dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-08-09 09.06.03 -2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	4448   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-08-09 09.07.36 -2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	831.4 KB
ID:	4449  
Old 08-09-2019, 10:54 AM   #10
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
I found this installation video; looks like a real pain and they still ended up with a cable outside the rear cap. I'm not at all interested in doing this. They need to move into the wireless age.

Ford makes it sound so easy; not a word in the video about what you have to do to make it work.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:34 AM   #11
Anthony T
Established Member

M.O.C. #22888
would u know the part No. for Ford
Anthony T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 12:06 PM   #12
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony T View Post
would u know the part No. for Ford
I found these but not sure if these are the correct parts.

Trailer TPMS $385
https://www.fordgenuineautoparts.com...8aAm3oEALw_wcB

Camera kit $375
https://accessories.ford.com/kit-tpms-sensor-11805.html
Old 08-14-2019, 01:49 PM   #13
Neal

M.O.C. #24697
I have a 2017 F350 that I ordered from the factory. I opted for the trailer camera kit. When the truck came in they gave me the keys and a big box. The box contained the trailer wiring kit and the TPMS. The kit included a camera, a long wiring harness, probably about 40'.. but I didn't measure it. It was enough to run under the length of my 3000RE and up the ladder to the camera. It has a receiver in the harness for the TPMS and it included 4 metal valve stems with TPMS. It also came with a wiring connector to replace the 4 wire connector on the bumper, which is where the camera plugs in. So now you have two wiring harnesses, one for the trailer and one for the camera. The camera works great, I've not yet installed the TPMS. Its a much better camera then the Furrion camera that came with the camper
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:45 PM   #14
TBW Ventures
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21572
Some additional info for you re: the Ford Camera. When I purchased my 2017 F350, it was off the lot from another dealer and came with a Ford auxiliary camera. This camera is intended to be plugged into the Ford camera plug in receptacle in the bumper.

While the trailer had the Furion camera already installed (but not compatible with the Ford system) and I had the Ford camera I looked at all the various combinations to get the installation done. The end result I wanted the back up to display on the Ford screen and that meant using only the Ford system. A couple of issues to then deal with;

1) Camera Receptical in the Truck Box - There is a great product available from a company that provides a ‘Y’ cable and replacement receptacle. I purchased this, relatively easy to install. It is aftermarket, well made powder coated and looks like it belongs.

https://nicholsmanufacturingandweldingservices.com/

2) Ford Aux Camera Cable Length - it is too short for our 3720 Monty. It turns out the same company above also sells extension cables.

3) TPMS - these folks also sell tire pressure monitoring cables, sensors and the box needed to gather the signal. I have not yet got this add on but am considering it.

4) Installation of the Camera and Cable - I choose not to do it myself and have the Monty dealer do it for me ‘professionally’. It is done well the only issue is that at the back of the trailer we still have the Furion camera body but it was used as the pass thru fro the new Ford camera cable.

A few pictures below for folks.

PS: Sorry the pics are sideways . . . Makes no sense I uploaded vertical pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	09F6D959-028C-4B24-968A-BF54FA1F55FC.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	372.3 KB
ID:	4476   Click image for larger version

Name:	843E353F-A335-4458-819B-5450A0F35035.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	4477   Click image for larger version

Name:	31BD59A5-7142-4FD6-9D91-7215547A82CB.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	4478  
Old 08-15-2019, 06:14 AM   #15
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I have the Ford OEM camera/TPMS set up and will be at the rally. More than happy to do a show and tell.

PS I like it
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:19 AM   #16
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
I have the Ford OEM camera/TPMS set up and will be at the rally. More than happy to do a show and tell.

PS I like it
Thanks, I'd like to look at it. Congrats to those that have made it work; wish I could. At least for now, I've decided to go with my wireless stuff; for a couple of reasons.

1. I'm not motivated to pull the wiring harness through the Montana included into the pin box and inside the rear cap.

2. Even if I did this, I still could not monitor my truck tires with the Ford display so I would still end up with an external display. Ford does not install sensors in the 19.5" tires; don't know why.

3. The Ford trailer back up camera only works in reverse. Sometimes I like to look behind the Monty when I'm going forward.

We have beat this to death over at Ford Truck Enthusiast
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-new-f450.html
Old 08-15-2019, 06:41 PM   #17
Mikebikeman

M.O.C. #24124
I have a 2019 F350 SRW without the ultimate trailer tow camera package. I purchased the Ford camera only kit for my 2016 Montana 353RL from a Ford dealer out east on eBay. I was able to wire it with an automatic A/B switch such that the trailer camera is displayed when its hooked up or it reverts to the tailgate camera when it's not.
Mikebikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:00 AM   #18
Gordon61

M.O.C. #24188
So it acts as the rear view mirror when the trailer is hooked up allowing you to see what's behind the trailer at all times? If so, can you share more on your installation ?
Gordon61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:21 AM   #19
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon61 View Post
So it acts as the rear view mirror when the trailer is hooked up allowing you to see what's behind the trailer at all times? If so, can you share more on your installation ?
The OEM camera only works to the display in reverse. I have to use a separate monitor for the rear view camera that is one all the time. All the Ford cameras shut off at around 3mph so you're not distracted when driving.

I like the back up cam and tpms kit that came with the truck but I also installed a wireless aftermarket back up cam to monitor the rear while driving. It's performance is only so-so do to the length of the trailer.

I also opted not to order the gps from Ford because it wasn't a truckers gps and did not know the height and length of the trailer. So now I have my Ford monitor, Magellan gps, the rear view monitor and my cell phone on the dash. It feels like mission control at NASA.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:04 PM   #20
russgarrett
Established Member

M.O.C. #24049
Ford wireless camera coming

I checked with my Ford dealer and the first quarter of next year a wireless version of the camera will be available !! It is compatible with the Ford Sync 3

No idea of the price as of yet.

The current version I have heard works well. The price for the camera and air pressure gauge has dropped to about 505.00 from the dealer
russgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote