Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2017, 03:31 PM   #1
csheipe757

M.O.C. #20458
New to RV's - lots of questions

I just bought my grandfathers 2006 Montana 3500RL from my grandmother after he passed recently. I'm having all sorts of electrical issues and water issues. I cannot figure out why the camper doesn't seem to want to switch from the 12 volt battery to the "shore power" (I work on tugboats and I'm lacking a better name for it now)
I'm sure there's a switch somewhere I'm missing. The A/C, refrigerator and microwave all working fine. It seems to me like half of the camper is running fine off 120v and the other half is running of 12v. I tried to run the water pump and it kicked the A/C and refrigerator off. It didn't blow and breakers or fuses. I charged to the battery back up to 12v and have had no problems since. I have to replace the 90 on the back of the city water inlet and then try the water pump again. It has a crack in it. What all do I need to do to use the water system without filling up the tank? Does anyone have any idea about the electrical issues?
Thanks
-Chandler

csheipe757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 03:51 PM   #2
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
If you are on 50 amp check the shore power plugs one leg may be disconnected. This happens to me several times.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:15 PM   #3
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Many of your lights and any powered roof vents operate off 12v even when connected to shore power. When connected to shore power your converter supplies 12v to them. Your bedroom TV is probably 12v also.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:46 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
You also can't use the water pump if you don't have water in the tank, that's where it gets it's water from. Also, if your batteries were down and you tried to run the water pump it could affect the Frig and AC since, while they run on 120v, their controls run on 12v as does the water pump.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:04 PM   #5
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
You also can't use the water pump if you don't have water in the tank, that's where it gets it's water from. Also, if your batteries were down and you tried to run the water pump it could affect the Frig and AC since, while they run on 120v, their controls run on 12v as does the water pump.
Yes, there are several weird things like these - the hot water heater control for 110v is also a 12v DC thing.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:15 PM   #6
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
As far as water goes you have two options. Fill the tank and use your 12v pump, or hook a hose to your domestic water connection. On my 2005 2955RL, both of these connections are on the left side of trailer near the rear, behind a small door.
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:58 PM   #7
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
As for lights, You can tell the 110 from 12 volt because the on off switches are different. 110's are like the ones in the house and the 12 volt are mostly small ones on the fixture. The outside lights are also smaller switches not sure the location but mine are like smaller toggle switches.
There is a outside hookup for water. Mine is behind a door that also contains the fill for the fresh tank.There is a hookup on the outside thast is for the black water tank so dont confuse the two.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote