Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2017, 09:29 PM   #1
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
Roof repair

Ok, this is going to be tricky to explain, ill try my best. I was on the roof yesterday, and noticed the rubber was raised off the roof near the edge. Seems like the outer covering of the sides of the Montana wrap around the top of the roof, and are glued down maybe? then the rubber roof goes over it. Well, it looks like that glue gave out on a small section, and I can see, and feel that covering is pushing up under the rubber roof. Pretty sure its not supposed to be doing that. Its a small section, only about 6 inches long. Unit is out of warrantee, I do have the extended, but I don't see them removing the whole rubber membrane, gluing that section back down, and then replacing the rubber membrane. So, im thinking the repair would entail slicing a small hole in the membrane, using a caulk gun with some locktite, to glue the section of gel coat?? back to the roof, let that dry, and then repair the small hole in the membrane with Eternabond tape and lap sealant.

Looking for opinions on this type of repair? sound pretty solid?

kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:03 PM   #2
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
I think it's fair to say all of us have those blisters or poofey areas at the edges. I would not worry about it.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:12 PM   #3
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I had this since the beginning. Dealer said there is a metal (tin?) strip down the side of the roof that wraps up around the curve. I had a pretty long strip or strips running lengthwise along the edge that were raised up maybe 3/4 inch. You could kind of feel it when you pushed it down. Keystone's opinion is unless a hole is poked thru the membrane, all is well. I have now had this for 3 years and it hasn't changed, so they may be right.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:38 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
It sounds like the transition material (which provides the curve) under the rubber membrane is coming loose. There is a picture in this POSTING (post #25) which shows the issue. There also have been numerous complaints about the roof staples coming loose and lifting up the rubber membrane. Do a Search using the keyword "roof staples" to get a feel for this problem.

I had both a loose staple and a bulging piece of transition material. Being out of warranty (not that it would have mattered), I fixed it myself. Cut an X over the problem, remove the staple or nail, screw the piece back down with a stainless screw, and then cover the X with a small piece of Eternabond tape.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:32 AM   #5
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
carl,
sounds good, that's exactly what is happening, with the transition material. I don't feel any screws or staples though, and mine is raised about an inch, it looks like it might poke through soon, sounds like your repair is similar to what I am going to do. Glad to hear it worked..
Old 07-14-2017, 05:52 AM   #6
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
My unit is a 2013 and the staples started to poke up the first year. I didn't agree with Montana's fix so I fixed it myself. I removed the entire drip rail, rolled the EPDM back, removed all the staples and replaced with SS pan head screws. Takes awhile to do but not difficult.
By the way I was 75 years old when I did it. I'm now 78 and would do it again if needed. Don't like any more cuts in EPDM than necessary.
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:03 PM   #7
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
I only have one small area doing it, I don't think removing the entire drip rail, etc, is needed. I already have an enterna bond patch on my roof from a tree limb last summer, that stuff works great, I should be able to make a small cut, screw the material down, and than patch it, maybe a 4" x4" enternabond repair. I also use lap seal on the enterna bond. I know its not needed, but its added protection. The repair I did last year is tight, and not going anywhere, that stuff works as advertised.
2019 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie CTD 6.7