Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2017, 05:09 PM   #1
Bochim
Established Member

M.O.C. #19041
Need help with front landing gear and stabilizers

Hello All, This summer we are work camping at a state park in Montana. We are from the south east and have been full timing since September of 2016. The experience has been great and for the most part our 2010 Montana 295 rdk has been pretty good. I need some help (advice) with problems and will address them one at a time with different threads. The big one now is the front landing gear and rear stabilizers. They have worked fine until now and I think they are both electric. Today I tried to steady up the coach and both front and rear just went "errrrrr" and then did not do anything. Pushing either button now brings no results. Thank you for any help or ideas you may have. Steve

Old 06-25-2017, 08:14 PM   #2
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Steve, are you using the remote or the buttons on the side of the camper? First thing I would do is try the other option from what you're using. Is all of your other DC voltage working ok?

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:30 PM   #3
Bochim
Established Member

M.O.C. #19041
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambam View Post
Steve, are you using the remote or the buttons on the side of the camper? First thing I would do is try the other option from what you're using. Is all of your other DC voltage working ok?
I am the second owner and the remote does not work, so I always use the outside buttons. We are on AC now, did not unplug and try DC, but I will try that tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:51 PM   #4
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
My 2013 Mountaineer has electric landing gear and no remote. When you push the button, does the motor inside the propane compartment sort of rock back and forth? If not, I would think something is wrong with the wiring or switch. Maybe put a volt meter on the connections on the motor and push the button to see if elec. is getting to the motor.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:04 AM   #5
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Try the manual crank wrench and see if there is a jam first.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:41 AM   #6
Bochim
Established Member

M.O.C. #19041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleback View Post
Try the manual crank wrench and see if there is a jam first.
I think I found the place on the port side next to propane tank where the landing gear is cranked but do not have a wrench to fit. Do you happen to know where I might find one? Thanks, STeve
Old 06-26-2017, 03:22 PM   #7
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Will the legs move in the other direction? Are batteries good. A bad cell can screw these up as they are 12v.
While you are looking in the left propane compartment, look at the front jack leg. At the top you will see the gear box for the legs. It is also what has the shaft to put the crank on to manually move the legs. Look at it closely to see if the bearing on the shaft is in position. On two others now, the bearing towards the inside of the camper has come out of it's sleeve and is causing a binding in the bevel gears on top of the left one. If those appear good, then check the motor and make sure it is working properly. It is on the inside of the front compartment on the inside of the gear box. Sometimes they go bad too. Simple to take off with either a screwdriver or a socket. Test to see if it runs. Gear boxes seldom go bad so it may be binding in the legs themselves.
Montana legs are on a different pattern for brackets than most others. You will have to order them from a dealer or an online one. I would replace both legs at the same time. Some of the dealers have kits that come with both legs, new motor, gear box and cross shaft. It is an easy job to replace them with hand tools once you put it on the truck.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:23 PM   #8
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bochim View Post
I think I found the place on the port side next to propane tank where the landing gear is cranked but do not have a wrench to fit. Do you happen to know where I might find one? Thanks, STeve
Borrow one from another camper to see if the legs will work with the crank.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:18 PM   #9
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
One other thing: The OP said his rear stabilizers aren't working, either. He is using the buttons on the trailer, not the remote. I lost power to those buttons, too. I ended up moving the ground wire from the "brain" to a new location. I secured it to a bolt on the frame. No problem since.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:31 PM   #10
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
My previous Montana was a 2010 with a remote. While on a trip, both front landing gear and rear stabilizers would not work with either the remote or the switches. Turned out the remote brain had gone out, and prevented any of the switches from working. Mobile repair wired around the "brain" and we continued on trip. Unit was still under warranty and upon return Keystone replaced the "brain" and that solved the problem.