Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2015, 09:42 AM   #1
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Order SimpliSafe Alarm System For Montana

Hi Folks,

Since the new Montana got broke into last week while at storage. I order the SimpliSafe Holiday Special security system for the Montana (they have cheaper configurations too). It should be able to cover all angles inside. Has a glass break sensor too. System has its own cell service (Verizon), so will work at any location we find are self. Monitoring is $15 a month for basic service, and can be stopped and started as needed via web site. They also offer SMS/Email alerts, smartphone control, etc. for $25 a month. I think video is coming next year, but may cost more per month for monitoring.

Components are all wireless, so install should be pretty simple.

http://simplisafe.com/home-security-shop

The broke the window on the door and tried to jimmy the door.

Then they went around back and broke in via rear windows. Took the stereo and mashed the TV with screen.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:02 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Please give us an update in about a year. Will be interested to know your thoughts over time.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:53 PM   #3
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
That is a real bummer getting broke into. And now you get to have all the damage taken care of. John
Old 12-20-2015, 01:56 AM   #4
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
We have had the SimpliSafe system in our home for over a year. I did the installation myself--a very simple and easy task. We have kept the $25 monitoring service because of the convenience of using our iPhone when we are away. We have had a few false alarms--our fault, not the system's--and the response time was immediate.

The only thing about our using it in the RV is that we would have to keep the electric plugged in.

I can highly recommend the system and the service.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:50 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
The one drawback I suppose would be most thieves will be long gone by the time the law got there. Does the system have cameras or just motion and window/door sensors?
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:19 AM   #6
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
I've had our Simplisafe for 2 years now. Our monty sits about 80 feet from our house. I have sensors on the 2 basement doors and the main entry door. We also have a 30x30 stand alone 2 car garage and a 12x12 cinder block out building, and of course our house.

I installed sensors on all doors, water detection in all buildings and smoke alarms and a couple of motion detectors.

I have the system program to chime anytime a sensor is activated. This is handy to have, you may be watching TV and will be alerted of a breach.

I also like the fact that I can go online and change any sensors settings at anytime. I have an App on my phone that allows me to turn the system on/off and for home or away setting.

If anything happens I get emails and texts alerting me which sensor was triggered and a phone call if the system was turned on to check in with me.

I'm very happy with the system and would recommend it to anyone. It works with a cell phone chip so its great if your unit is stored offsite.

I also have a separate camera system with 14 cameras around the property and inside the house, garage and Monty. I can also monitor from my phone or any laptop anywhere at any time.

Having the alarm system is a good thing to have, but adding cameras shows the police who did the crime. Criminals don't expect a homeowner to have cameras inside and that's what helps catch them.

I've had some issues in the area with myself as well as neighbors and having my system has helped solve crimes around here. Having a 1080p camera system helps a lot. So for now, the criminals know to stay away from here.

John and Cindy hope everything works out for you!

SO GLAD I COULD HELP.............................................

scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:59 AM   #7
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

The one drawback I suppose would be most thieves will be long gone by the time the law got there. Does the system have cameras or just motion and window/door sensors?
SimpiSafe will be coming out with camera's next year.

The guy broke into 10 differ RV's at the storage lot, and was captured on camera. The owner of the storage lot is going to add a laser perimeter alarm around the fence.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:05 AM   #8
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by padredw

The only thing about our using it in the RV is that we would have to keep the electric plugged in.
I can highly recommend the system and the service.
I have 840 Watts of Solar on the roof, but I plan to run the base station off of the battery with 12VDC to 7.5VDC transformer. The base station draws about 1 Amp at 12VDC.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:37 AM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I think you will be happy with it. We have a similar system from Frontpoint Security at home; cell service monitoring, wireless sensors on doors and windows, glass break sensors, fire/smoke sensors, and a camera. Don't remember the breakdown, but the monthly cost for all is sbout $40. Camera is set to record if a sensor is triggered. Can monitor status, arm it or disarm it, view recent history of all sensor actuations, and can view camera from our cell phones. When an alarm is triggered we quickly get a text message, a call to our home phone follows, and if we do not answer a call goes to my cell phone. Have to give our code word when we answer. Does require AC power to base unit. Does have backup battery to operate on loss of power.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #10
oceandansar
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17865
We have simplisafe in our house for almost a year now so far so good
oceandansar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 06:02 PM   #11
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Doesn't it require 110V to run the transformer power supply and a wifi signal? I couldn't do either in storage.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:01 PM   #12
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mark N.

Doesn't it require 110V to run the transformer power supply and a wifi signal? I couldn't do either in storage.
The base station has Cell Phone, to connect Monitoring stations ($15 per Month if you want someone to monitor alarms and call you and police).

Only Power required is for base station, which requires 7.5 V DC. I plan to wire direct to the battery with the following:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ilpage_o01_s00
Old 12-23-2015, 05:08 PM   #13
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 7.3Ford

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mark N.

The base station has Cell Phone, to connect Monitoring stations ($15 per Month if you want someone to monitor alarms and call you and police).

Only Power required is for base station, which requires 7.5 V DC. I plan to wire direct to the battery with the following:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ilpage_o01_s00

Awesome! Thanks! I just ordered one.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:36 AM   #14
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
man that sucks, my boat got broken into last month in storage, they didn't do any damage, probably cause they had plenty of time to un screw everything and take it. My amp, subs, all my speakers. Funny, they didn't take the TV out of the cabin though. I often think about my brand new camper that I haven't even taken on a trip yet, sitting at my shop Its pretty safe and secure there, but anything can happen anywhere I guess. I keep all the shades closed so no one can see in, and the place has several garages, all rented, and I know all the renters and everyone is in and out, so they are never really out of site..
2019 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie CTD 6.7
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:09 PM   #15
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I called the manufacture and was told the alarm runs on 110 VAC they do not have a portable 12VDC unit yet. I believe if you cant use the type that 7.3Ford has which I would love to have in my trailer and call me when a break in occurs, but couldn't a person use a car alarm type with sensors inside the Monty and door switches on the compartment doors. all you are looking for is something that's going to make a lot of noise burglars don't like noise.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:19 AM   #16
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

I called the manufacture and was told the alarm runs on 110 VAC they do not have a portable 12VDC unit yet. I believe if you cant use the type that 7.3Ford has which I would love to have in my trailer and call me when a break in occurs, but couldn't a person use a car alarm type with sensors inside the Monty and door switches on the compartment doors. all you are looking for is something that's going to make a lot of noise burglars don't like noise.
I don't think they know what they are talking about. The A/C Power adapter puts out 7.8 VDC. I have had my circuit board plugged into the base station which drop 12VDC to 7.5VDC, the base station works fine.

Car alarms will just make noise (which most folks ignore anyway). My Montana is stored in an area where no one is likely to hear the noise either. SimpliSafe will call the monitoring center, which will contact me and the police, car alarms will not do that.

Old 02-20-2016, 03:29 PM   #17
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Hi Folks,

I got Montana back from repair on Friday. Today Installed the SimpiSafe system, and I went with the Interactive Monitoring ($24.95 per month). The will allow me to login to the systems and make updates remotely. I can also control it with my phone.