Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2015, 02:37 PM   #1
Ozark Dave
Established Member

M.O.C. #17907
Hot Water Heater

Not sure how the dual/electric water heater works. On the internal control panel of the coach there's a switch for LP Hot Water and Electric Hot Water. Both switches can be turned "On" at the same time. When they are both "On"at the same time and the coach is connected to shore power will the default be electric? I generally leave the gas "On" while in transit so that when we land we have hot water. should I turn off the LP when connected to shore power?

Ozark Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:41 PM   #2
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
When both are turned on it will give you the quickest recovery as you will be using both heating sources: Propane and Electric.
We generally run on electric is the CG power will support it. Would rather pay for the electric than drag the empthy propane bottles to the refilling station.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:50 PM   #3
Ozark Dave
Established Member

M.O.C. #17907
Thanks. That answer makes me me think of something related. We use the fireplace heater to heat the coach in order to conserve LP. Does the interior heater have to be "on" for the external storage tanks and underbelly heater to work to prevent freezing or is there a thermostat for those components?
Ozark Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:56 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Yes, if you use electric heaters and the temps are below freezing you need to make sure the furnace runs occasionally to keep the water tubing from freezing. Also, we never use the propane for the water heater except when we're boondocking. Even when it's cold the hot water heater holds heat in the water pretty well. We only have to turn the electric heat on for about fifteen or twenty minutes before showering once we arrive.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:37 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
DQDick is right on. It only takes my 10 gallon water heater to provide hot water in about 20 minutes (and I currently only use the external rocker switch), otherwise you are wasting propane while you heat water enroute anywhere. The time it takes for the water to heat up is easily covered in the time it takes for you to complete your setup when you arrive. Assuming you connect the water supply and make sure there's water in the tank, then heating that water is pretty quick. I do that third after leveling and stabilizing the rig, then connecting electricity and before connecting the sewer and moving the slides. By the time I'm done with the rest of the setup, the hot water will be hot enough and rewarding for a shower after completion of the rest of your setup.

Please note, I am only using electicity to heat water because I've been too lazy to debug the propane heatability which is not currently working.

A little off topic, but I kinda try and use electricity and avoid using propane in most cases. Electricity is free wherever I RV camp and propane I have to buy (and at campgrounds it's pricey). Just makes fiscal sense to me. I do use propane on occasion just to make sure things work (like the fridge, furnace and water heating (which is NOT currently working), but use electricity any time I can. So far, I fill a 30# tank everything 4 or 5 months (summer or winter in southern California)! And I found a cheap propane supplier that only charges about $1.90 per gallon of propane - it's a welding supply retailer near where I live.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:26 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I have found that if the outside temps are warm/hot, then electric provides plenty of hot water. But if the temps are cold and the incoming water is cold, then running the WH on both electric and propane at the same time provides a recovery rate that we can both take showers one after the other without worrying about running out of hot water, and without taking "navy showers".

And I also turn on the water heater while we are setting up. By the time we get everything done, the water is hot.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:51 AM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Ozark Dave ... unless your unit has individual tank heaters for each tank ... you have to run the furnace to heat the underbelly. Additionally the tank heaters only keep the tank and lines near the tank from freezing ... they don't protect water lines just laying around in the underbelly.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote