Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2015, 06:48 AM   #1
boje
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8761
Tailgater hook up (resolved)

On the 3750 we traded in, there was a coax hook up for the antennae, cable, and satellite. On my 3160 I only have two behind the TV. One is for the antennae. The other I do not know. I tried it with the satellite, and am getting no reception, so I assume it is cable. Any idea where the satellite input inside the coach for the living room is?

boje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:09 AM   #2
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
On my 2015 the Dish receiver cable goes to the bottom input the top cable input goes to the TV,also make sue your TV is on the right input,hit input on your tv remote and make sure it is on HDMI1-2
Old 08-08-2015, 07:38 AM   #3
boje
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8761
I mean no signal strength. Could be the tailgater.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:55 AM   #4
boje
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8761
Hooked the tailgater directly to the receiver, and now it works. Checked for tightness on the input in the conveinence center, and behind the TV. Both where tight. Now the fun begins.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by boje

I mean no signal strength. Could be the tailgater.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:30 AM   #5
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Time to take the convenience center wall off and really look at connections. If you pull on them, bet you end up with the connector in your hand. John
Old 08-08-2015, 09:34 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Here is s previous discussion showing wiring for the TVs. May or may not help.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:43 AM   #7
Starmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16103
I had/have the same problem with our 3160 when trying to use the Tailgater connected to the receiver through the convenience center. The receiver can not see the antenna. However, if I hook up the Tailgater directly to the receiver, it works.

I took this into my dealer and they spent over a day trying to find the problem with no luck. Both ends of the coax had the connectors replaced. They wanted to replace the coax from the TV to the convenience center, but wanted to cut then patch the underbelly. I said "no thanks" and routed a coax from the TV to outside just under the slide and then connect the Tailgater there.

I may get ambitious some day and run a new cable but, I'll pull the underbelly and reinstall, not cut a hole and patch. If I do replace the cable, I'll have to get some self-tapping screws to reattach since Keystone used metal "nails" shot into the frame rather than screws. I would trust reusing the "nails" once pulled.

If I wanted to be a stickler, I could make them pull the bottom and reinstall, but its just not that big a deal to me. I chose my warranty battles and will let this one slide and use it as a marker if I need to in the future.

Since someone else is having this problem besides me, I'll see if I can get some tech time at the Fall Rally to discuss.

If you get yours fixed, please post what you found out.
Thanks!

Dave
Starmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:28 PM   #8
boje
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8761
Will do. Going to post another thread on General Discussions to see who on the MOC uses a Tailgater.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Starmaster

I had/have the same problem with our 3160 when trying to use the Tailgater connected to the receiver through the convenience center. The receiver can not see the antenna. However, if I hook up the Tailgater directly to the receiver, it works.

I took this into my dealer and they spent over a day trying to find the problem with no luck. Both ends of the coax had the connectors replaced. They wanted to replace the coax from the TV to the convenience center, but wanted to cut then patch the underbelly. I said "no thanks" and routed a coax from the TV to outside just under the slide and then connect the Tailgater there.

I may get ambitious some day and run a new cable but, I'll pull the underbelly and reinstall, not cut a hole and patch. If I do replace the cable, I'll have to get some self-tapping screws to reattach since Keystone used metal "nails" shot into the frame rather than screws. I would trust reusing the "nails" once pulled.

If I wanted to be a stickler, I could make them pull the bottom and reinstall, but its just not that big a deal to me. I chose my warranty battles and will let this one slide and use it as a marker if I need to in the future.

Since someone else is having this problem besides me, I'll see if I can get some tech time at the Fall Rally to discuss.

Thanks!

Dave
Old 08-08-2015, 02:44 PM   #9
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
Just had our fixed at Northgate RV in Ringgold, GA. It was because of a bad splitter in the rear cap. He unscrewed the back corner of the underbelly to get to it. I had previously tightened every connector on the backside of every wall plate. None of them were even hand tight.
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 02:23 AM   #10
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
We originally had DirecTV and could get no signal through the trailer. An installer told us that satellite systems will not work if there is a splitter in the line, so he removed any that he found. DirecTV worked well with a hookup via the convenience center to the receiver. We switched to dish and a Tailgater. Dish would not work via the convenience center, forcing us to run the cable through the window behind the TV for a direct connection.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:46 PM   #11
DuneBuggyBuilder
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #15774
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DonandBonnie

We originally had DirecTV and could get no signal through the trailer. An installer told us that satellite systems will not work if there is a splitter in the line, so he removed any that he found. DirecTV worked well with a hookup via the convenience center to the receiver. We switched to dish and a Tailgater. Dish would not work via the convenience center, forcing us to run the cable through the window behind the TV for a direct connection.
You do know the 3700 (and the rest of the lineup) have dedicated coax lines from the convenience center to the entertainment center exclusively for satellite. The coax runs do not have any splitters and are a continuous cable from each point. The Cable TV coax is the one with a splitter and not useable for satellite signals.

The DirecTV guy is correct in that the system will not work with a splitter. Instead of letting him remove the splitter from the Cable TV line and obviously Gerry-rigging the cable, someone needed to discover why the dedicated satellite cables weren't working. It is pretty simple to "tone" the cables to see where they go.

Just so you know, I have a 3700 with DirecTV (Genie and mini-Genie) using the dedicated satellite cables and it works wonderfully.

Maybe diagnosing and correcting the satellite cable runs would make your Dish system work too?
DuneBuggyBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:01 AM   #12
boje
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8761
I looked at the RG 6 connector on the convenience center hook up, and the copper wire was so short it was not making contact. I replaced the connector thinking I had resolved the issue, but to no avail. The connector behind the TV is ok. I thought about fishing a new wire in using the old one, but it seems the wire as it goes below the slide out is fastened to something. Not sure how, but I have two coax cables coming out behind the fireplace. One for the TV, and one for the outside entertainment center. I gave up, and took it back to the dealer.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DuneBuggyBuilder

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DonandBonnie

You do know the 3700 (and the rest of the lineup) have dedicated coax lines from the convenience center to the entertainment center exclusively for satellite. The coax runs do not have any splitters and are a continuous cable from each point. The Cable TV coax is the one with a splitter and not useable for satellite signals.

The DirecTV guy is correct in that the system will not work with a splitter. Instead of letting him remove the splitter from the Cable TV line and obviously Gerry-rigging the cable, someone needed to discover why the dedicated satellite cables weren't working. It is pretty simple to "tone" the cables to see where they go.

Just so you know, I have a 3700 with DirecTV (Genie and mini-Genie) using the dedicated satellite cables and it works wonderfully.

Maybe diagnosing and correcting the satellite cable runs would make your Dish system work too?
Old 08-10-2015, 03:23 AM   #13
Hawkpat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11612
I have a similar problem that has only recently arisen. Used our taigator for two seasons without a problem while connected to the satellite input in the convenience center. This season several channels would not come up or only come up in SD.

Hooked up through window direct to receiver and works flawlessly. So I took faceplate off convenience center and found the internal connection was a bit loose. Also checked faceplate in coach but it was tight. Thought the loose connection in CC would fix but it did not.

Hooked up again direct to receiver and works perfect again. Wife doesn't like to look at wire going through window.

What puzzles me is why did it work through convenience center for two years and now it won't? I have a 50 ft rg6 cord on tailgater. Would a shorter cable help?
Hawkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:24 AM   #14
Hawkpat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11612
Bump
Hawkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:54 AM   #15
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Hawkpat,
It might, but both Dish & Direct recommend quad shield rg-6. I found it made a difference trying to get HD. I got both 25' & 50''. I even bypassed the rigs cable to overcome the signal loss. This is the reason I went back to a regular dish & tripod.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:22 AM   #16
tomd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5075
My Tailgater will only work hooked up to the top connection in the convenience center.
tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:19 AM   #17
boje
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8761
Dealer had to run new RG6 from convenience center to the TV hook up. Other than a nick on the wood frame around the TV, I see nothing that shows the work was done. This includes the underbelly.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Starmaster

Thanks!

Dave