Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2015, 01:01 PM   #21
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
You know after reading this thread and the sticky about the tanks at the being, I just fell like screaming. I`m not sure how some of you guys keep your cool when talking to Keystone or service people at dealers. I bought a new HC last year and the front cap faded almost immediately, was told by Keystone "I`ve never heard of that happening before" I abruptly ended the conversation and took to the purchasing dealer and long story short the dealer had it painted. Looks nice now. Do the service techs at Keystone think people that can afford these campers are that stupid. I`m going to go out and turn both my A/C`s on so my staples will stay down.

F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:02 PM   #22
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Roof Staples/roof transition update:

Was able to get back up on the roof of my Montana today and found that pretty much the whole one side of the wrap over material has raised itself from the roof, some places it has pushed the roofing material up 1/4" and some places at least 1/2" or more. I could find no sign of staples anywhere along the strip, the only indication there may have been one was a dimple in the metal material that may indicate there was a staple there but it pulled through the metal and is still fastened to the roof.

There are some spots where it feels as if there is something that has stuck to the roofing material as it will not go back down properly as if there were a portion of the roof stuck to it.

The other side appears to be the same in as much as I cannot feel any staples but the metal has not lifted from the roof except in a few short area's and when you push that back down it feels as if there is something sticky under it but it pops back up right away.

I did not take my camera up with me but will do so tomorrow and then I will first talk to my selling dealer and see what they have to say, not sure I even want to have any conversation with Keystone after all of my previous experiences and the crap they have been feeding others on this forum, we shall see what the dealer has to say.

At every seam across the roof there is a bubble of roofing material sticking up and in one shot there is a gap between the two roofing sheets.

I won't describe what words I used to describe my feelings and my frustration with yet another major (to me) design/production line problem that only Keystone is responsible for, they cannot blame the roof manufacturer or anyone else on this one, nor can they do that on any other ones with this same problem.

I will keep the forum advised as to my progress.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:48 PM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
With my luck I dread looking at my roof but am going to have to do it. Helen was doing her morning stretches this AM and was laying on the floor in front of the TV. She said Richard look up at the ceiling. I looked and All the cross strips in the rear of the 3402 up to the stairs were pulling loose from the ceiling and the fantastic fan enclose has 2 screws wound out and was pulling away from the ceiling. Lucky they are only minor problems and we can fix them ourselves.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:49 AM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Have not been up on the roof yet to check staples. The fantastic fan issue was a minor problem that required a minor fix. two screws had pulled loose from the ceiling and enlarging the holes as they came out. Solution fatter screws. Pounding the staples back up on the ceiling strips was another minor fix.
We have added those visual checks to our interior "things that fall apart " checklist that we check after every trip. Staples pulling out of chair bottoms, closet wall panels kitchen wall panels .Light fixtures pulling loose. Must be our horrible system of roads that shake these things apart and it seems the Mor Ryde IS system did not help much.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:05 PM   #25
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Roof update #2

On Feb 17th I contacted my selling dealer only to be told the warranty for the roof through Keystone was 1 year only. When I asked about the roof being warranted for 10 or 12 years she said that was true and I/they would have to go after the manufacturer of the roofing material.

I explained "calmly" again what the problem was and that there was nothing wrong with the material, only it's application to the roof specifically at the curved edge. I was then informed that I would have to bring it in for them to take pictures and see if they could do anything through the manufacturer or Keystone. This young lady admitted there has been problems with the 2014 models but did not remember any problems prior to that. I took that to indicate she had not worked there prior to 2014.

I then called Keystone "owner relations" and spoke with another young lady who during our conversation said that was her first day being left on her own to deal with customers, she had worked there a full 2 weeks.
She recorded all my information to my VIN# and asked if I could send in pictures so that they could review them and advise me what to do. I followed up this conversation with 11 pictures sent to her attention by email. Our conversation was pleasant and I believe she did "all" that she is allowed to do and say to a customer, but did not have a warm cozy feeling that much was going to become of my discussion and follow up email.

It has now been a week since I sent the email and I have heard nothing "nada" from Keystone. I sent another email today asking for confirmation of receipt of the pictures and that I be advised as to which dealer to take my RV in order to proceed.

I suspect it will be like my previous emails and I will not even hear back from Keystone "period". However I will keep you all posted as to my progress or lack of.

I would like to see pictures of this issue that others have experienced, so if you have them please post one or two. Here is one showing the curb side of my roof.

Patiently awaiting a response from Keystone.....

Old 02-23-2015, 01:23 PM   #26
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Gentlemen---IF you have a problem with what I have said on this Forum and in this particular thread, I would prefer that you contact me directly via email or via PM.

I told you what happened with my unit and I was at the Fall Rally when I had it worked on. Maybe some of you should come to the Fall Rally in Goshen, IN (where the Montana's are put together) and talk to the Division Manager of Montana and his reps about the problems. I'm not going to bash anyone for what they say here because I am not that type of person. I told you what happened to my unit and that is it.

It's not MY fault that YOUR unit is not living up to what you expected or YOU think they should be 100% perfect coming out of the factory. This is just one of the many RV companies in the RV industry and there is NOT ONE of them that come out 100% perfect. IF there is a company that can do this, I would suggest going to them and having your unit built by them. I feel I got "The Best Bang for My Buck" and that is it. Of course it may cost you a whole lot more but I'll put money on it that that unit will not be perfect either.

Also I do not appreciate my name being thrown out to Keystone just because I had good luck with the problems on my unit being taken care of and you cannot get the same thing.

Thanks for your time!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:32 PM   #27
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Jimmer who originated this thread made us aware of problems he was having with staples or "nails" in his words protruding on his roof.

Subsequent to his post, JandC, Virginia Young, DebbieM, Rondo and myself have posted with respect to roof problems all similar and to differing degrees.

I was hopeful that each who posted would keep the rest of the MOC informed as to their progress in resolving their individual issue. We are aware that Rondo's problem was resolved at Keystone's facility. Unfortunately the majority of posters including myself are so far meeting with little success in getting a resolution, or even something headed in that direction.

While it is great that some are able/willing to drive to Goshen to attend the rally and meet with Keystone reps and get their problems dealt with there, it is simply not possible for a good number of folks including myself. BUT does that mean we should be treated any differently than those that do/are able to go. Absolutely not in my opinion.

I thought the MOC was all about each member helping others in any way they can and it actually does happen for the most part, most are willing to share their contacts and suggest how to best deal with Keystone and their reps to assist in resolving others problems. I was once given by a MOC member the name of a contact at Keystone who assisted me with a problem, I shared that information with anyone who wanted it, not sure he liked it but what was fair treatment for me I felt should be fair to any other owner, member or not. Unfortunately for me this person no longer works for Keystone.

I sincerely believe that the vast majority of members when attempting to deal with problems with their dealers and Keystone, are respectful in those communications. However when we are fed the kind of garbage that is being fed to many owners, including myself our patience and respect are tested to their limits, that is not our fault, we are only seeking a resolution to our problems, which by the way are very important to us individually, as well as collectively.

I hope this thread will continue and any new problems will be reported here as well as each members experience with their dealer and Keystone. In the end this will benefit all who own or plan to purchase a Keystone product.

Please post your pictures so we can compare the extent of the problem on each of our roofs.

Now back on topic....
Old 02-24-2015, 01:51 AM   #28
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Rondo stated "Also I do not appreciate my name being thrown out to Keystone just because I had good luck with the problems on my unit being taken care of and you cannot get the same thing."

Rondo, I am sorry you feel that way, and I for one apologize for using your name with Keystone Customer Service. By giving them your name, and using your immediate roof repair as an example, I was hoping to encourage them to at least start honoring some of our roof warranty issues.

As you are totally aware, we were paid and set to attend the fall rally. Maybe my priorities are all messed up, but I felt it was more important for my wife to have her surgery instead! But I can assure you of one thing, if I would have attended and had my roof repair scheduled/completed in Goshen, I would now be emailing and making telephone calls on the behalf of several MOC members that are not getting the same treatment by Keystone RV.

Again Rondo, I apologize for using your name with Keystone RV. I will not do it again. To make sure other don't make the same mistake I made, you should probably not post about repairs that your friends at Keystone RV perform for you on a PUBLIC FORUM!

Old 02-24-2015, 03:29 AM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Which is why we will now address our issues on our own and take care of them on our own. I personally do not feel those at the fall rally get special treatment by Keystone or the vendors as all the RV manufacturers do that at their rallies . We are there, the factory is there those who can make decision's are there and can see the issues and things get done.

This forum was once a place were we could share issues and our experiences in resolving those issues. I have always done that but no longer .I have even been accused of using the Montana in a improper manner and causing my own problems. I will follow through on our tank issues because I have already posted on the issue but never again. I do not mind if folks use my name and have encouraged them to do so and that they are members of the MOC..no more.

What we do at the fall rally is exactly what we are asked to do by the service center. Take pictures, explain the problem. We need not do that because the service techs are right there looking at the problem and can take instant action with no delay. I understand the frustration in dealing with the service center from afar and the difficulty with some dealers. Even though we have attended nearly all the fall rallies we experience the same frustrations.

Rv's are far, far, far from perfect and build quality is far, far below what we are accustomed to in our cars and trucks. One thing that is good about the fall rally is the factory tour in the Montana plant or any other manufacturers plant. It is a education.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:52 AM   #30
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
There seems to be numerous owners of 2014 models that are experiencing roof issues. That is not to say that Keystone has not had an issue in the past with staples raising up, but it could be that 2014 models are really going to turn out to be a problem for them if recent posts are any indication. There are thousands of 2014 owners that have their units in storage, many of which are not on this forum. In the spring when many of these owners get their Montana's out and get up on the roof will these faulty roof issues really start standing out?

For us, we are going to pursue the repair issue later in the spring. Hopefully by then it will be more obvious if this has developed into a widespread repair issue for a large number of other owners. If that is the case, and Keystone is still resistant on fixing the issue, than would it not be prudent to seek outside assistance from other sources like Trailer Life magazine? And you also have to wonder, if this does become an issue with hundred and hundreds of recently produced models, at what point does Keystone start considering some type of recall?

Or, maybe it won't be that widespread and it is just a case of fifty or so Montana models being victim to substandard roof installs at some point during production. I hope that is the case. I guess we will know in about 2 months.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:56 AM   #31
Johnwa7hr

M.O.C. #17168
I have a 2013 model 3582RL that was build in 22012 and it has several staples coming loose and pushing up the rubber roof.
How long is the roof warranty?
I will be contacting Keystone about this problem and seeing a service center soon.
Johnwa7hr is offline   Reply With Quote