Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2014, 04:29 AM   #1
hickory
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13170
Worn Tire

After setting up camp near Dripping Springs, I noticed that the DS front tire is worn down. The rest are like new yet. They are OE with less than 10K miles on them. When the rain stops, I'll crawl under for a look see, but in the meantime, does anyone have an idea what might cause this? The outside appears to be worn more than the inside. Air pressure is right on.

hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:12 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Most common causes are either a bent axle or an alignment issue. Most semi truck places can straighten a bent axle and/or realign it.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
If the tires are marathons, I would be singing praise that they haven't blown on you yet. Put the spare on and see if it wears the same way. If it does, then it wasn't a marathon tire being manufactured worse than normal and you need to take it in to have the axle checked.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:36 AM   #4
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Mine were wearing like that, and it was an alignment issue. Keystone didn't align the axles when they built the unit. I had them aligned, and no more trouble for the last six or seven years.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 03:18 PM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Alignment and balancing key to proper tire wear.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:59 AM   #6
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 1retired06

Alignment and balancing key to proper tire wear.
Agree, along with correct TP.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:55 AM   #7
SteveC
Established Member

M.O.C. #11478
I had a similar issue while returning from an Alaska trip. The centre hanger between the wheels was bent in with the frame. $2600 to have repaired, aligned and a support bracket was added between the hangers.
Cheers!
SteveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:20 AM   #8
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Did hickory ever find out what caused his problem?
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:12 AM   #9
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
sorry for the highjack but Hey SteveC you stole my boat Dudebut seriously I was wondering how to carry my Harbercraft Skif around with Us,That's COOL..O.K. sorry back to tires
Old 12-10-2014, 12:00 PM   #10
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

Did hickory ever find out what caused his problem?
He hasn't posted since he made this thread. Maybe he doesn't want us to know?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 02:18 PM   #11
golfer1john

M.O.C. #15947
We had a couple of tires that were hopelessly scalloped after a few thousand miles. We maintained the air pressure scrupulously. Talked to the tire guy at Escapade, had the alignment checked and it was fine. We replaced the POS made-in-China Goodyears with Michelin truck tires, and it's been fine now for 2 years and 20,000 miles. Should have invoked the warranty - 1 year, no miles - but didn't.
golfer1john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 04:12 PM   #12
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Our original Marathon on the right front scalloped real bad due to not being balanced. Replaced it with the same, but balanced, and it wore just fine. This was all before having other issues with the Marathons that prompted their replacement with G614's. Since replacement, have had zero issues. Between not balancing and squirming with the Marathons, that may be a big issues causing failures. No squirm with the G614's.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 03:20 AM   #13
hickory
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13170
Sorry for not posting sooner and thanks to all who replied. I haven't gotten to the bottom of this yet. We've just been too darn busy(goofin' off) and exploring the history of TX. with many visits from DD. We'll be here for a couple of months yet,so I'll have to get at it soon and will post when a solution is determined.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:28 PM   #14
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Marathons are bad about breaking belts which could cause a strange wear pattern.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:41 AM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Wheel problem of some sort maybe, since it is just one tire... pull it and have it spin balanced. We stayed in Budda, I didn't know there was a RV park in Dripping Springs, close to the dealership in Budda there is a Tire shop, small but accommodating. It is south of the dealership on that road.. outer-road?
Look up sweet Colleen there in Dripping Springs, Colleen and Bob live close by. The Salt Lick BBQ is worth a trip there, you probably have already been there to eat.
I wrote a story about it:
Salt Lick
I like to think I know BBQ, never missed the American Royal BBQ festival and contest in Kansas City, and I was the repair man for Ollie Gates, of Gates and Son BBQ for seven years, one of his stores, the original, right down the street from Arthur Bryant’s BBQ.
I know one has to factor in the different styles of preparing and Pork versus Beef, rubs, sauces, and smoking woods. It doesn’t take an expert to eat a rib to know it should fall off the bone, instead of having to chew it like a piece of rawhide.
Beans; beans should be BBQ beans, a little of the burnt end meat and some molasses, brown sugar, and possibly a secret ingredient or two.
My wife and I had been driving around the Austin-Buda-Kyle areas looking at property, and getting ‘The lay of the land’. We drove over a creek and down the road, when we smelled the heavenly odor of smoked food, my head snapped around and saw a large building covered by vegetation, some other buildings flanking it and a sign we could not read in the rear view mirror. I turned at the first opportunity, back-tracking the ¼ mile or so, pointing the nose of our Super-Duty Ford truck into the narrow drive of what turned out to be ‘The Salt Lick Bar-B-Q’ in Driftwood, Texas. We were both ‘Jonesing’ for some smoked meat and good beans to go with it. Tart Kosher pickles, some good old fat, greasy fries and we would be in the front row of heaven.
We parked back by the vineyard in an immense parking area, looked around and saw a sign, ’assembly area’, we walked over to that open building, which turned out to be just seating, off to the right was the entrance to the BBQ pit and order area.
Couples and families were walking in carrying big coolers, I thought to myself, “well, it’s way out here, they are buying in bulk“…. When I asked for a beer, I found that you must bring your beer with you. Texas, I guess??
I walked around, taking pictures, Sue got a menu and we sat to study it.
Family style (Per person) heaping helpings of beef brisket, sausage, and pork ribs served with potato salad, cole slaw and beans, ($18.95) was at the top of the menu.
We opted to order ‘to-go’, decided on a pound of ribs and shared one Brisket dinner. I decided we would take home a quart of beans as well, but alas, not a French fry in the place. I inquired if the beans had meat in it, the cashier nodded yes. I asked her what kind of wood was used to smoke the meat, she said, “Mesquite” a waiter immediately corrected her with “Live Oak” .
We bought four shirts, with “Way the heck out yonder.…but worth every mile” on them, two white, two black, for Sue and I.
We got it home, back in Buda, half in a trance from the wonderful smoky aroma emanating from the back seat, plated it and began. I asked Sue, “Where are the BBQ beans?”, all I saw were brown plain beans…a quart of them, “that’s it“, Sue said. “Bummer,” I said. No meat in them either.
The Brisket was tender and ‘to die for’ The ribs couldn’t have been tougher, smoky, but tough and disappointing.
Sorry, Salt Lick; “All Hat, and no cattle“…. Well maybe a little baby goat, but “no cattle.”
Y’all come up to Kansas City, I’ll show you how we smoke meat, fat yummy fry’s, tender fall off the bone ribs and tender smoked brisket as well. Oh, and meat in them beans………
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:34 AM   #16
hickory
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13170
Well Ozz, I pretty much aggre you agree with your assesment of The Salt Lick. We've were there twice last year as I am a firm believer in giving a second chance. Next time you're in the area, try the Old 300 Club in Blanco. If you get to Gonzales there is a market that is really a nice BBQ restaurant. If you go there, be sure to go in hungry. You'll come out full and happy!!
Old 01-15-2015, 11:23 AM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks Dick, always good to hear of a good New place to eat. part of the fun when we travel is the great food we find
Taking notes
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:53 PM   #18
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Ozz, we stopped at gates BBQ in Indepence last summer and were disappointed
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote