Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2014, 02:59 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Joined the oven spark upgrade Brigade

Hard to get this dump-truck load of blubber working in that confined space, but got the battery powered spark system on the stove and burners on my Monte.
My stove has one ignition source for the 3 burners, and none for the oven. I bought a battery powered spark generator on-line and installed it yesterday, listed in my link for $14.00, I think I paid $30 somewhere else for it.. typical..
It is cheapo.. really bad. I couldn't get it to work initially, had to work on the spring inside many times, and it works, but could quit at any time. I should send it back, but won't. Don't recommend this brand. I am posting a link for a bunch of choices.
You could also leave the twist-spark module for the top burners and just install any type of ignition source for the oven. I dislike the turn-snap original equipment, and do like the push-snap type with battery, if it was better made.

http://tinyurl.com/OzzSparMod

http://www.grill-repair.com/replacemodule.html

http://tinyurl.com/SparkThingy

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
I just need the wire from the igniter to the oven. Any suggestions where to get one and what is it called.
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Check that link of stove parts I posted it may have one. It is a high temperature ignition wire. Contact them and ask if they can sell you one. Make sure the ends are compatible with your spark generator. You can squish one end if it is round to fit it.. if your generator has a flat male spade.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:15 PM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Here you go:

http://www.appliancefactoryparts.com...-igniters.html

Old 09-20-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Keep us informed on how it goes. This mod is definately on my list.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:30 AM   #6
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Question for you Ozz. In lighting the oven we use a lighter to light. It may take as long as a full minute or maybe even two minutes to light with a lighter. How can a spark igniter light with just a spark. I hate these ovens lol

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:56 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hi Dave!
Good to 'see' you on the forum, enjoy your posts on fb.
The oven has a really small pilot light, it takes a while to get the gas to fill the aluminum feed tube to the actual pilot assembly. I push the button, wait a bit and then try and light it. On the spark adaptor, the wait is also mandatory.
The Propane and natural gas light easily in the presence of a spark.
All of the rooftop heating and cooling units I have worked on all my life have spark ignition (except for some old Carriers that had a glow coil) but even the glow coil systems lit the pilot easily.
Hope all is well on the home front.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:46 PM   #8
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
thanks for the info ozz
joe
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:14 AM   #9
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Thanks for the info Ozz, appreciate it. Things are very well on the home front thank you. Will be closing the house up here in about another month and heading for the sun and heat for the winter. Always look forward to that also. You take care young man and hopefully you get back on the road soon.
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:13 AM   #10
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Where on the stove do you mount the igniter button/switch? Thanks for the great idea.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:20 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hi Mark,
Just take the device and place it where it fits best on your stove, then mark the location and get the step-drill out.
My stove had a sloping face where the knobs are, so I bent it gently so the nut on the back of the control would snug up.
Good luck with it.
Ozz
Old 10-01-2014, 01:38 PM   #12
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I would like to add a couple of comments/suggestions to the mod that Ozz and others have done on their stoves.

Having the room to install an electric ignition system creates some problems particularly getting one that is capable of handling the three burners and the oven, you need a unit with a capability to spark a minimum of 4 burners. I was not able to find one locally that would fit in the limited space I had.

The first one I installed was for 3 burners, I thought by doubling up on one wire for 2 burners it would work, not so, there was not enough power in the coil to spark all three burners and the oven at the same time consistently. I installed this one in the original hole and was able to get a small one for the oven. I measured and "re-measured" and drilled the hole for the second one. I now have two battery powered units that do fit side by side and work perfectly. You can hear the oven sparker even with the door shut, lots of spark there, but the wait time for the propane to get to the pilot is not shortened, however you are now not down on your hands and knees with your neck crooked around to see what you are doing.

Do not buy the cheapest unit you can find, you will wind up with the same problems Ozz has and it will make the mod not worth doing, especially if you have to keep the original twist sparker as well.

I took pictures of my complete job, however I took my stove out and worked on it in my workshop where I had more room.

For those that use their ovens quite a bit this is a great mod and ours has performed flawlessly for over a year now.

This picture shows the two battery powered units side by side after installation in my stove.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote