Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
MrYesterday
Established Member

M.O.C. #13948
New stairs for my 3750FL

When my wife and son came out on the road with me, we put hook and eye latches on the screen door of our travel trailer to keep our son from getting out. Well, he managed to squeeze through the bottom and fell out the door. I built a 3'x3' "porch" with steps so he could't fall again. They were nice. They had a railing, and deep steps. They barely fit in the bed of my Ram with nothing else in it though, and they took 15 minutes to level up and screw together (not to mention the screw holes were getting stripped out more and more every time we took them down and put them back up). Since we were upgrading from our old bumper pull to our new Montana 5th wheel, I gave a friend at work the old porch and decided to build something new. I needed deep steps, a landing at the top in case our son made his way out the door, and the ability to break the steps down so that I could stow them in my 5th wheel basement (since my 5th wheel hitch tool box, and 100 gallon gas tank now occupied the bed of my truck). I found a few ideas, but nothing as large, or as sturdy (since the Earth, in it's wisdom, decides to tax me heavily with it's gravitational pull). So I did what I always do. I just bought a bunch of wood, and figured it out as I went along. What I came up with, I'm proud of. Maybe later, when I have more time, and access to a welding machine, I'll make a set that bolts together out of square tubing that will take even less space in my 5th wheel basement. They have wide steps, a decent landing at the top, they all break down and fit inside each other to save space, and they are held together by simply dropping a bar down through them. All told they cost about $80, but the peace of mind in keeping our son safe is worth a lot more.

This is the old porch I had built for our Gulf Stream.

These are the new steps I've built for our 3750FL.

The rear of the steps.

This one shows how the bars drop down through all 4 steps to lock them together.

This one shows the 4 steps pulled apart, by simply yanking the 2 bars out. The 1st step fits in the 3rd, and the 2nd fits in the bottom, and they all fit nicely under the bed of our 5er through the outside door.

MrYesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Nice job! We travel for the winter with a commercial porch much like the one you built for your TT. Easy to break down and carry, but $80 didn't cover the original shipping.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
MrYesterday
Established Member

M.O.C. #13948
Thank you. I looked in to the aluminum porches, like they use on mobile offices/conexes. I just couldn't justify the cost over the space savings right now (after buying our montana just a month ago). I'm thinking about building a 4'x4' porch eventually that I can stow on the rear bumper of the trailer while traveling. That way I can get that nice, large landing back. Nothing beats having a porch. I also get brownie points when the wife can have a railing to decorate, and put her flowers on. lol
Old 12-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Can I make a suggestion to anyone out there building steps? Brandon, the steps you had for your TT are the kind I would like to discuss. When they are turned that way instead of coming straight out, they present a problem if you ever have to have someone rescued inside the home. The rescue crew cannot get a stretcher inside because they can't make the turn. Some crews have the stair chairs now but some don't. What IF they have to do CPR. I think they look better the way you built them, BUT... I'm sorry.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
MrYesterday
Established Member

M.O.C. #13948
We had 2 doors, so they could have just used the back door with the standard TT steps.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:07 AM   #6
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I made up about the same configuration except without railing. It all broke down and went in the bottom of my toolbox for the trip south. Using the RV steps drive me nuts! I agree with some of what jsmitfl says, but if you have to have them turned or need railing, then just make sure they are not attached and can be easily pulled away from the Monte. Sometimes it is easier for emergency personnel when bringing someone out on a backboard or cot to have the steps out of the way since the openings and steps on our units are so narrow.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
MrYesterday
Established Member

M.O.C. #13948
In most of the spots that we have stayed in we really couldn't turn the steps straight out because the steps would be right around where the 6x4 was that held the gravel in. Like I said, the second door was still accessible, so emergency entries weren't really an issue. Not to mention the fact that the whole thing weighed less than 100 pounds, so it could be flung aside if need be. I can appreciate the caution, though.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:58 AM   #8
MrYesterday
Established Member

M.O.C. #13948
Just wanted to post an update. I'd measured to make these steps fit in the basement under the bed when taken apart. I just go the chance to stow them today, and they fit perfectly. I'm pleased with how they turned out.