Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
Nelsen55
Established Member

M.O.C. #13879
Wheel/Tire Problem

I have a 2011 Montana Mdl 3585SA fifth wheel towed by a GMC 2500HD Duramax with the Alison transmission.
My wife and I were traveling down I35 to TMS for the NASCAR race last weekend. We pulled off for a potty break and fuel stop. The wife took the dog out for a break and walked down the curb side of the camper and called for me to come quick. I rounded the camper and felt sick. The curb side rear tire was gone and the axel was riding on what remained of the wheel. Not sure if the tire shreaded or if the wheel failed. The tires are Goodyear Marathon ST235/80R16, Load range E. Calls to Keystone, Goodyear and Tredit Tires have all had the same results. Keystone says talk to Goodyear and Tredit. Goodyear says without a tire carcuss - no warranty, Tredit says take pictures we'd like to see your wheel. Anyone else have the same problem?

Nelsen55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:45 PM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Read all the threads about Marathon tires then get rid of them as soon as you can.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:26 AM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
And regardless of what tires you have, get a tire pressure monitor system! It won't stop a failure but it will let you know when it happens so you can avoid the results you had.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:49 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
You probably need to go to Goodyear G614's or an something similar and either a Pressure Pro or TST monitoring system. TST has a system that will allow you to add or subtract air without taking the sensors off. By the way, If your changing altitudes or large changes in temperature you will need to adjust the tires accordingly.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:11 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
James, Sorry that happened to you. It sounds as if the wheel failed, but without the rest of it, you just don't know. I would send the picture to Tredit, ask for the credit for that tire and wheel and then and offer to buy 3 more.. or 4, tires from them, they are great to deal with and will probably do the deal. They have helped many of us in the past.
Tredit has a big warehouse up here in Olathe.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:15 AM   #6
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Doubt it was a wheel failure...tire was a Marathon,,,enough said. But do not go far on the tire that was on the same side. Most people who have blowouts of one tire say that it was not far down the road that the other tire went too. Evidently all the weight on a single tire weakens it. Best bet is dump all the Marathons ASAP and get either LT tires or G614's.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:49 AM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by steelpony5555

Doubt it was a wheel failure...tire was a Marathon,,,enough said. But do not go far on the tire that was on the same side. Most people who have blowouts of one tire say that it was not far down the road that the other tire went too. Evidently all the weight on a single tire weakens it. Best bet is dump all the Marathons ASAP and get either LT tires or G614's.
I agree 100%! People forget that when a tire fails all the weight is transferred to the other tire, which puts it way over it's limit. And just because it didn't fail too doesn't mean it won't!
Old 11-07-2013, 05:51 AM   #8
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
BTW: James - welcome to the site!!! It is the best place you will ever find for all things connected to Montana, and not many of us bite.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:48 AM   #9
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Nelsen55

I have a 2011 Montana Mdl 3585SA fifth wheel towed by a GMC 2500HD Duramax with the Alison transmission.
My wife and I were traveling down I35 to TMS for the NASCAR race last weekend. We pulled off for a potty break and fuel stop. The wife took the dog out for a break and walked down the curb side of the camper and called for me to come quick. I rounded the camper and felt sick. The curb side rear tire was gone and the axel was riding on what remained of the wheel. Not sure if the tire shreaded or if the wheel failed. The tires are Goodyear Marathon ST235/80R16, Load range E. Calls to Keystone, Goodyear and Tredit Tires have all had the same results. Keystone says talk to Goodyear and Tredit. Goodyear says without a tire carcuss - no warranty, Tredit says take pictures we'd like to see your wheel. Anyone else have the same problem?
Nelsen55 you did not mention if you had damage to the RV from the tire/wheel failure, hopefully you did not suffer that indignity as well.

You have already been given good advise from the previous posters regarding the tires and purchase of a TST system, I will just repeat "do not trust the tire next to the one that failed, replace it".

It would be great if you could post a picture of the wheel here on the MOC as well. Good luck in getting help from someone.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #10
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Nelsen55, welcome to the MOC forum.

Being in the tire business, I see what happened to you way too often. I'd say 80% of the time the failure was caused by a puncture in the tire allowing the air to escape, and the other 20% of the time by tread separation, impact damage, alignment problems, under inflation, overloaded tires, manufacturer defect, poor quality, or tires that have been running after exceeding their useful life. In your case it was most likely a puncture, but given they are the Goodyear Marathons, you may be one of the many that have had similar issues with these tires. Unfortunately, without the carcass there is no way possible to know for certain what happened, unless the wheel failed allowing the air to escape, in which case you have the wheel.

As others have said, get a pressure monitoring system for the trailer. You will at least know when something is wrong.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #11
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
All good responses so far, but I just have to ask this question ... did your truck not seem to be pulling a bit harder, the fiver not tracking quite right, debris or sparks not catch your eye in either of your mirrors, a shudder for a few moments or some noise? OK ... aluminum wheel ... maybe no sparks.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by steelpony5555
I agree 100%! People forget that when a tire fails all the weight is transferred to the other tire, which puts it way over it's limit. And just because it didn't fail too doesn't mean it won't!
I agree with both. It happened to me. Not right away but it will happen. On our trip to Mich from FL last spring. Blew one tire in FL and the other on the same side in OH. Some don't make it that far... especially if your tires have many miles/years on them. What Tom said - the sudden extra weight thrown onto the surviving tire is really, really hard on it... and the clock is ticking - like a bomb...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #13
Nelsen55
Established Member

M.O.C. #13879
Thanks to all who replied. I did make it back to Kansas with the tire next to the one that blew intact. Goodyear has set up an inspection of my remaining tires for seperation. Tredit has asked for photos of the wheel, which I sent this evening. Will try to figure out how to post a picture of the wheel. Did not know that there was a tire pressure monitoring system for 5th wheels. Who makes G614's and LT tires?
Old 11-07-2013, 11:38 PM   #14
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Goodyear makes G614's. BF Goodrich Commercial TA, Firestone Duravais, Michelin LTX, Uniroyal Transforce to name a few light truck tires. I run the Michelin's and am vrey happy with them.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:45 PM   #15
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

All good responses so far, but I just have to ask this question ... did your truck not seem to be pulling a bit harder, the fiver not tracking quite right, debris or sparks not catch your eye in either of your mirrors, a shudder for a few moments or some noise? OK ... aluminum wheel ... maybe no sparks.
Hi

Believe me when using the Duramax you can have a very serious failure of a wheel / tire or spring and not notice.

I check my mirrors often but when the curb side rear spring failed and the trailer was tracking so far to the right that I couldn’t see it in the driver side mirror I didn’t know it until some one passed me and waved me down.

I was on crews control and never felt any thing and I would guess that the spring failed in less the 1 or 2 minutes before the young lady flagged me.

Phil P

Lets see if this link works.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...archTerms=wear
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:18 AM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Nelsen55

Thanks to all who replied. I did make it back to Kansas with the tire next to the one that blew intact. Goodyear has set up an inspection of my remaining tires for seperation. Tredit has asked for photos of the wheel, which I sent this evening. Will try to figure out how to post a picture of the wheel. Did not know that there was a tire pressure monitoring system for 5th wheels. Who makes G614's and LT tires?
Nelsen, email a picture to me and I will reduce it and post it for you; hvac.repairs@yahoo.com
Ozz

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:10 AM   #17
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Hopefully Goodyear will take care of you like they have done with others. Goodyear makes the G614w, mutiple manufacturers produce LT tires. We run Firestone Transforce HT LT tires.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:29 AM   #18
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Whatever you pick make sure the tire is rated for the weight.

When a tire mishaps way back of the trailer and your truck is well suited for the weight, you probably won't feel it. I've had tires blow out on me, or get ready to blow out and I won't notice a thing sitting way up in my truck's driver seat. That's why the TPMS is important to notify you when this happens - to minimize any damage or warn you before a mishap can occur. Otherwise without one (like me) glance back your side mirrors to keep an eye on things. The first ever blow out I experienced, I happened to be looking back and saw tire parts spewing in back, but I didn't feel ANY difference in the tow.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #19
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I have heard nothing but good about the Firestone Trnasforce tire and I hear they cost a little less than the Goodyear G614. I have Firestone Trnasforce on my TV for the last 60,000 miles and they have served me well. I have Goodyear G614s on the trailer and as you can see in the picture they must be good considering the distress that tire was subject to and I now have pulled the trailre more than 2,000 miles on that tire.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #20
Nelsen55
Established Member

M.O.C. #13879
Once again, thanks to all who have replied. Am learning alot about wheels and tires. Tredit has sent me a warranty claim form, so there maybe some hope yet. Did some figuring today. Camper empty weight is 11,710#s, cargo weight is 3,790#s which equals 15,000#s, Wheels are rated at 3750#s each X 4 equals 15,000#s. E load range tires are rated for 3420#s each X4 equals 13,680#s. Difference is 1320#s, Possible to overload tires by 1,320#s. Called Keystone and was refered to a member of "Team Montana". He told me that you must subtract the weight of the trailer hitch from the camper's dry and cargo weight since the hitch weight is supported by the tow vehicle. Not sure 100% of the hitch weight is support by the tow vehicle. To continue, the hitch weight is 2,060#s from 15,000#s, equals 12,940#s. Therefore I have 740#s of safety margin. Having a hard time swallowing this explination. Damn Keystone is slippery. Looks like new tires and a TPMS for me for Christmas.