Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
Jewels
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13667
Kitchen LED's

When you open the door in our 3750 four very nice LED's in the ceiling come on, however there is no way to turn them on when the door is closed -that I can find. It is a 2014 and seems very strange that there is no way of turning these lights on when your in the unit with the door closed, but I have looked everywhere for the switch!

Anyone have any ideas or experience with this? Will we have to add a switch for these, and if so, has anyone made that improvement?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
There is a switch in the door closet by the front door for the ceiling lights on mine. It is next to the awning switch
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Ditto, they are marked ceiling lights on our panel inside the coat closet.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
Jewels
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13667
I know the exact switch however that turns on a light fixture ceiling fan in mine. I have flipped every switch I can find and nothing turns those lights on except opening the door. Was hoping there was a trick I may not have figured out?

At any rate thanks for your prompt responses!
Old 10-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The light switch on the ceiling fan on ours is a big white regular electric switch. The switch for the overhead lights (DC) on our rig is in the second row down of red switches (they light up when turned on). It is the third switch from the right and is labelled ceiling light. I would not think the control panel has changed. When you turn the switch on, check your fuse panel beneath the desk drawer also and see if a fuse light is lit. If it is lit wiggle it and see if the lights come on. It may be a fuse.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I believe if the wiring is correct and the switches on the main panel are of the lighted variety then the switch associated with those lights should light up in red when the door is open. If that does not happen I would say there may be a wire off/loose on the back of that switch.

My switch is marked Ceiling lights and lights up both when I switch the lights on there, and when the door is open.

I would check that switch.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Even our older model has the switch in the same place. It looks like the same switches that turn on the scare lights.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:13 AM   #8
Jewels
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13667
I will check the fuses today and this bank of switches. The large switch does turn on the ceiling light with the fan, however no switch, at this point turns on the LED's. will investigate today further. Thanks for the responses!
Old 11-01-2013, 04:43 AM   #9
Jewels
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13667
Didn't get out to find this switch yesterday as torrential rains! Will work on that this morning.

As a side question, I have seen previously that some had put a switch in preventing the door opening from always turning these LEDs on in the kitchen, however cannot find the thread now. I am interested in adding a switch that will when needed keep these LEDs off. I can see times when it will be useful, but times when we are parked that it will only draw in insects.

Is there anyone who has done this that can direct me to a thread describing the process or tell me how this is done? Would this require just a normal switch or something unique? If I put it right by the hinge side of the door would it be easier to grab the necessary wires going to the switch in the door jamb?

Sorry for all the questions, but would appreciate some direction. I have wired plugs and switches before but am concerned as there is the main switch, the door switch and then adding another switch.

I'll stop here and look forward to any input!

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2013, 05:24 AM   #10
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jewels

Didn't get out to find this switch yesterday as torrential rains! Will work on that this morning.

As a side question, I have seen previously that some had put a switch in preventing the door opening from always turning these LEDs on in the kitchen, however cannot find the thread now. I am interested in adding a switch that will when needed keep these LEDs off. I can see times when it will be useful, but times when we are parked that it will only draw in insects.

Is there anyone who has done this that can direct me to a thread describing the process or tell me how this is done? Would this require just a normal switch or something unique? If I put it right by the hinge side of the door would it be easier to grab the necessary wires going to the switch in the door jamb?

Sorry for all the questions, but would appreciate some direction. I have wired plugs and switches before but am concerned as there is the main switch, the door switch and then adding another switch.

I'll stop here and look forward to any input!

Thanks!
The screen door hinge is what works the switch on the door, keeping it closed except when entering and exiting would not allow much time for bugs to get in.
You can certainly put a switch in series with the one in the door. You would need to access the door switch, remove one wire from it and put that wire on one side of the new switch, then add a wire to connect the two switches together, this puts them in series.
By doing this you can break the circuit when your new switch is off, but still allow the door switch to operate the lights when your new switch is on.

I would not consider doing this mod until you have found the reason you cannot turn those lights on from the main panel. I still think if you remove the panel you will find a wire unplugged or loose on your ceiling switch.

It really is too bad there is no wiring diagram for these units, it would sure make life easier.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:48 AM   #11
Jewels
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13667
Thanks to all for your feedback. There was a switch marked "ceiling", however it did nothing. Found that there was a blown fuse, or a bad fuse at least. I replaced it, and the ceiling lights work!

Thanks for the info regarding installing the switch. Think I will try it. My biggest concern is cutting a whole in the wall! Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Thanks again! I appreciate having people to ask the stupidest questions and get spot on answers!
Old 11-02-2013, 02:51 AM   #12
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Only stupid question is one not asked. We all learn from others, and this forum is a good place to learn
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #13
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jewels

....Thanks for the info regarding installing the switch. Think I will try it...
If you are not fond of cutting holes, there is an alternative. Some folks have screwed a piece of metal which covers the door switch. It doesn't interfere with the door, can be flipped up out of the way for normal operation, and is out of view. I am sure you can find more information using the "Search" facility.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #14
Jewels
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13667

If you are not fond of cutting holes, there is an alternative. Some folks have screwed a piece of metal which covers the door switch. It doesn't interfere with the door, can be flipped up out of the way for normal operation, and is out of view. I am sure you can find more information using the "Search" facility.
[/quote]

Ahhh, thanks for that! May try doing it that way!