Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2013, 12:01 AM   #1
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Tire sideware??

We are on an extended trip and tonight while setting up the dump hose , I notice some outside tire ware on the driver rear tire? The other three look great for even ware, just the one tire. Anyone have any idea?

Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:13 AM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Low pressure or alignment . Or, if its a Marathon tire, it could be a broken belt.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:31 AM   #3
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Could be one of several things.

1. Axle or spindle bent out of alignment, or axle that has lost its arch.

2. Worn shackle bushings and/or shackle bracket bolt holes are worn out of round. Maybe even a broken shackle bracket.

3. Brakes at one end of an axle are not working, either due to one of the following: being out of adjustment, a wiring issue, or grease on the shoes and drum. When brakes are applied one end of the axle will be pulled back and make it out of parallel with the other axle.

4. Substantially more weight on one side of the rig will flatten out the leaf springs more than the other side of the trailer, thereby increasing the distance between centers of the wheels on that side, which makes the axles not parallel to each other.

I am sure that there are other reasons that this can happen, but these are a few that it could be.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:33 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
A lot of things to check, but they're both right it could be any of the above. Check the suspension things you can see and then, if you don't find anything, a tire professional would be where I would go to get an idea of where to start with the other options.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Sorry all for not responding to replies earlier. While traveling, net-service has been lousy to say. I had no idea so many things could cause my issue. Looks like I will take a slide under the unit tomorrow and see if anything is noticeable. Thank you all for replies.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Another possibility. I have a 2006 2980. I think it was the 2nd year a tire was wearing on one side. I looked under the unit and there are small shock absorbers on each wheel. It just happened that one shock was not attached to anything!! I am pretty sure that was the problem.
By the way, I was greasing the shackles a couple of weeks ago, and BOTH shocks are hanging in the air - not attached!!!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote