Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Hmmm 3000 miles and not a problem, buuutttt...

Yep 3000 miles and not a single problem until we get home. Pulled the old girl into her slot and went to lower the front legs. I get the usual whirring and now a clank, clank, clank???????? Here the little motor on the the end above the bar is loose and also it appears a screw is out of the bar that goes between the sides???? Not real sure what I was looking at and was just too tired to mess with it today. So left it all hooked up and I will dig into it tomorrow. Unless someone else has seen this problem and know what it is. I know the info is limited but like I said just too tired from 3 days of traveling. I do got to adjust the main slide a little but it is not pressing. One side is about an inch to inch and a half out of whack........

steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Dave-- Sounds like the shear pin has done it's job. If you don't have a bolt in the bar it's sheared off and a new one is needed. I don't remember the size but if you use the Search Engine there are numerous posts on this same problem. I had to replace both the landing legs and the gearbox on our way back home last April from the Southwest adventure! My threaded rods on the legs had bent and caused the legs and gearbox bind thus shearing the pin and messing up the gears.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:19 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Give me your address and I will send you a complete set for all your slides in today's mail.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Ok now that I am rested and it's daylight I found my problem and fixed it. There is a bolt at each end of the square tube that runs from one jack leg to the other. One the side that has the motor the nut came off and the bolt came out and jammed between the square bar and the motor. Now, is that a shear pin that everyone is saying about???? Anyway I removed the motor and backed the bolt out the rest of the way and reinserted it in the bar and the part that turns it and put a new nut on it, then remounted the motor. It seems to work great now...... Ozz, I really appreciate the offer, but I think it is ok now. I will be sure to order them from you if I need them in the future. I have not dug into the slide yet but it is only out of whack about an inch or less. I think it just needs a normal adjustment with the bolts on top of the ram arms. At least that is what it looks like when I went on Lipperts site and check the manual. It has been that way for a while now so it is not a pressing problem. It seals good when the slide is in but when it is out is where the inch difference in each side is the problem. Thanks again
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by steelpony5555

Ok now that I am rested and it's daylight I found my problem and fixed it. There is a bolt at each end of the square tube that runs from one jack leg to the other. One the side that has the motor the nut came off and the bolt came out and jammed between the square bar and the motor. Now, is that a shear pin that everyone is saying about???? Anyway I removed the motor and backed the bolt out the rest of the way and reinserted it in the bar and the part that turns it and put a new nut on it, then remounted the motor. It seems to work great now...... Ozz, I really appreciate the offer, but I think it is ok now. I will be sure to order them from you if I need them in the future. I have not dug into the slide yet but it is only out of whack about an inch or less. I think it just needs a normal adjustment with the bolts on top of the ram arms. At least that is what it looks like when I went on Lipperts site and check the manual. It has been that way for a while now so it is not a pressing problem. It seals good when the slide is in but when it is out is where the inch difference in each side is the problem. Thanks again

I WOULD SUGGEST YOU GET A COUPLE EXTRA FOR WHEN IT HAPPENS ON THE ROAD AND NOT IN YOUR HOME......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote