Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #21
ALSAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12193
Bingo I put a RDS 60 gal combo ( 10 inch tool box ) in the bed of my truck 2011 Ram I had to disconnect the fill tube that goes to the tank and cut a length out of it to fit the gravity feed tee in I turned the tee with the check valve up 12 high so the check valve (ball) would seat okay no leaks at all. I have a tank like John but my fill neck is under the main cover just wanted a little added security from any body trying to get at my fuel (I still got the locking fuel cap )
My miles to empty stay the same untill the bed tank is empty the my fuel gage starts to drop as normal BTW my RDS 60 gallon tank only hold 52 gallons, twice I have filled it when empty (maybe 1/4 inch of fuel in the bottom )
the only trouble that I had was my own falt I had filled the tank and parked the truck at an angle drivers side slighty down and fuel seeped out the tank overflow in to the truck bed, cleaned it up with simple green and water

ALSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #22
Annem
Established Member

M.O.C. #4406
We have the Transfer flow 56 gallon replacement tank , whichever tank you choose you are going to love all those miles you can go without stopping for fuel.
Annem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:40 AM   #23
Krusher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11244
Bingo I put a RDS 60 gal combo ( 10 inch tool box ) in the bed of my truck 2011 Ram I had to disconnect the fill tube that goes to the tank and cut a length out of it to fit the gravity feed tee in I turned the tee with the check valve up 12 high so the check valve (ball) would seat okay no leaks at all. I have a tank like John but my fill neck is under the main cover just wanted a little added security from any body trying to get at my fuel (I still got the locking fuel cap )

X2 here. Got the same tank in my '11' 3500 and could not be more pleased. Easy install.
Krusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:21 AM   #24
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The biggest problem I am having with the combos is the depth of the tool box. I want to carry my Porter Cable 6 gallon pancake compressor under lock and key in a toolbox along with a few other items. I haven't found a combo that will let me do this. I do like the 60 gallon range for the auxiliary tank in addition to the on-board tank of 34 gallons. Driving to Myrtle from the hills without needing a fuel stop would be sweet! I appreciate all the info posted so far, it is helpful!
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:23 AM   #25
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
WOW, you all must have bigger bladders than I got. I like stopping every 200 miles or so to stretch and relieve my bladder. Also, I know it's physiological, but I also don't like paying over $100 for fuel every stop. I also carry enough total weight without adding another 30 gallons of fuel to the mix. To each his/her own. Sorry, this post was just me thinking out loud. Not belittling any of this.

Bingo, can you post a link to those tailgate tool boxes?
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:38 AM   #26
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Alwims,
Here are links to the couple that I posted:

Tradesman 5th Wheel Tool Box

Brute Tool Box

I really like that Brute one, since everything is accessible with the rig hooked up to the hitch.

Oh, and forgot to mention that when you travel with three women, fuel stops transform into one-half hour ordeals with Dad's stress level being elevated. I don't mind the bladder stops at rest areas, but fuel stops introduce that dreaded "shopping" into the mix. Don't even ask how a truck stop transforms into a "shopping" mecca, but they do!

Bingo
Old 02-05-2013, 04:51 AM   #27
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Wow, 3 females? You are a brave man. I now, totally understand your need for a bigger fuel tank.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:47 AM   #28
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Alwims

WOW, you all must have bigger bladders than I got. I like stopping every 200 miles or so to stretch and relieve my bladder. Also, I know it's physiological, but I also don't like paying over $100 for fuel every stop. I also carry enough total weight without adding another 30 gallons of fuel to the mix. To each his/her own. Sorry, this post was just me thinking out loud. Not belittling any of this.

Bingo, can you post a link to those tailgate tool boxes?
With me, it's not my bladder but my knees. I have to get out and stretch them or pay the price. So we just stop and top off. The only time I really would have liked a larger tank was one a planned fuel stop in north/western Canada. when we got to the town, the only fuel station had burned to the ground a month before. We had enough to make the next town, but I don't like running that close.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:53 AM   #29
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Alwims

Also, I know it's physiological, but I also don't like paying over $100 for fuel every stop.
I guess you don't wanna know what it cost when I fill up. At the end of the trip it all cost the same due to similar mileage between the Volvo and the Ford but with the Ford we did not have the Jeep. The Jeep gets better mileage than the Ford empty and it also goes places the Ford did not.

In the end it all about having a good trip and a great time! That is what is important.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:43 AM   #30
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Bingo,

Here is a 75Gal tank with bigger tool box. It is RDS and made in USA.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...0932_200350932

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:53 AM   #31
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
That one I do like, looks like the tool box dimensions would work as well. The only drawback is having to get in the truck bed (or have really long arms) to access the tool box. What would be nice would be if they made this same model with the wing doors so that access could be had from beside the truck bed. I don't guess such a combo exists?
Bingo
Old 02-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #32
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

That one I do like, looks like the tool box dimensions would work as well. The only drawback is having to get in the truck bed (or have really long arms) to access the tool box. What would be nice would be if they made this same model with the wing doors so that access could be had from beside the truck bed. I don't guess such a combo exists?
Bingo
Bingo,

You can open from either side, the latches are hooked together, so you only pull the handle on one side. When shutting from the side you have to give it a good slam to shut, maybe I need to adjust mine. I don't keep mine locked, because I figure if someone wants in they will just tear things up getting in.

But I can open from either side.
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #33
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Good to know, have added it to the consideration list.
Bingo
Old 02-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #34
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Keep in mind if the tank is taller than the bed walls make sure it will not interfere with the nose of the trailer. When I purchased the transfer tank for my Ford I originally purchased a 100gal tank from Tractor Supply. After just setting it in the bed of the truck it was obvious I had the potential for a problem. Wound up returning that tank and having a custom tank built to fit. My Ford was a short bed. May not have been a issue on a long bed but something to think about with a combo fuel/tool box since it will be bigger than just a fuel tank.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #35
bish
Site Team

M.O.C. #8644
Love the 50 gallon Transfer Flow tank we had installed. I like easy and this system is just that. It's nice to see the gallons in each tank and the automatic transfer between tanks as well as the benefit of less fuel stops.

2009 10th Anniversary 3400RL, LED bulbs throughout unit, Level up, X-Factor, Wet bolts, Disc brakes, Sailun S637 tires.
bish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #36
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Good point Rick, I will definitely do some measuring. If all else fails the wedge tank and the rear mounted toolbox are definitely on the fallback list.
Bingo
Old 02-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #37
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
When I had a 29 Gal short bed I went with a Transferflow 50 gal aux tank. When I went to a long bed truck with a 38 gal tank I went with a 37 Gal Transflow aux tank and have not regretted the additional miles I get with the aux tank. I can close my bed cover with this tank. I also have a tool box next to it in front of the hitch and 2ea Honda 2000 Generators mounted behind the hitch. I wouldn't be without one
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #38
bobcat92
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12853
Handy makes a 55 gallon combination tool box. I have a 12 polt Pump and solenoid valve. Takes a while to transfer fuel. With the main tank and aux I have 84 gallons. Dealer that installed my fifth wheel hitch told me it wouldn't fit with the combo box so had them take it out. After discussions with Pullright we were able to cut the rails enough to put it back in. Really love having the extra fuel.

http://www.handyindustries.com/produ...x-combinations

bobcat92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:41 AM   #39
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I guess the next part of this decision making process involves that ever dreaded subject of weight. Guess I will have to get some real world weights finally for the pin, calculate the weight of tank, diesel, tool box, tools, camping goodies, hitch, etc. etc. and come up with a reasonable guess on how far outside of the truck capacity I am going to be? Have to consult owners manual, then probably make the only practical decision that I can. Run overweight! SHHHHHH! At least I already have the Firestone airbags, even though they don't add to the capacity - theoretically!! Oh well, thank goodness the weight police have lightened up on the forum lately!! Hee Hee!!
Bingo
Old 02-06-2013, 02:16 AM   #40
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

I guess the next part of this decision making process involves that ever dreaded subject of weight. Guess I will have to get some real world weights finally for the pin, calculate the weight of tank, diesel, tool box, tools, camping goodies, hitch, etc. etc. and come up with a reasonable guess on how far outside of the truck capacity I am going to be? Have to consult owners manual, then probably make the only practical decision that I can. Run overweight! SHHHHHH! At least I already have the Firestone airbags, even though they don't add to the capacity - theoretically!! Oh well, thank goodness the weight police have lightened up on the forum lately!! Hee Hee!!
Bingo
That should be pretty easy to figure out. For each gallon you add, multiply it times 7.15 pounds. Note this number can change a small bit, depending on winter blend vs summer blend, but 7.15 will get you close enough.

What's not so easy to figure out is how weight it adds to each wheel and axle, unless you weigh the rig before and after installation and fill up.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote