Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Front AC Installed - Doesn't work

Hi Folks,

I had Camping World put a front AC on. They had it for 6 days and call to tell me the data cable from back to front was bad. They said it was going to be another 15 hours to pull another cable, and I told them to stop. I went and picked it up, but haven't had time to look at it yet. I did run a phone cord from one unit to the other, and the front AC started running and the thermostat was off.

Any one have any documentation on the control boxes and installing second AC?

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:03 AM   #2
Ren
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10954
Yours is alot different than mine. I just manually use the knobs on the front of the unit to control temp and fan speed.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:17 AM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Six days for a two hour job?? Either very busy or very incompetent operation. Like REN above our front AC runs separately, so hopefully someone with a dualzone thermostat controlled installation will respond.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:43 AM   #4
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 1retired06

Six days for a two hour job?? Either very busy or very incompetent operation. Like REN above our front AC runs separately, so hopefully someone with a dualzone thermostat controlled installation will respond.
Very incompetent. I checked the cable and it was fine, I even made a new one and ran it across the floor, still didn't work. So I says to my self, they must have put the wrong control box on it. I grabbed the part # for both units and sure enough the new unit had the new style (CCC-2 12 button) control box.

Called Camping World, and they had the right box in stock, so I pulled the box out and ran up there and exchanged the box. Put it in and the unit fired right up.

If anyone is thinking about adding a second AC and they have the old CCC (5-button) thermostat, you better grab one of the Control Boxes soon Part # 3109226.005 before they are all gone. Dometic does not make them any more. You can Google the part number and fine places that still have some.

It also seems the RV techs know less than I do about installing second AC.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:19 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Sorry you had that problem, but thanks for the information!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
A very good example of why we need things installed at the factory...after market installs seem to have endless stories of how not to do something.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #7
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We have a similar story...to make a long story short...after 4 hr wait at CW in NJ no communication along the way that we had a problem, with Sharon & Tom our Moc friends, we where told our air was missing parts to install and the parts where not compatible. They put some tech that knew nothing that we where paying $100.00 an hr for install. When we asked him to save the Fant. Fan his reply was I will try!! What!!! We knew then it was not going to be good!

Dometic calls x 20 they insist the parts are compatible and the only parts missing where 4 bolts cw has in stock. Most frustrating experience we have ever had. Dometic refuses to let you talk to a skilled tech about the electronic transfer needed etc.

At this time we have an air, tons of extra parts, and still no successful install. We want it ducted to the older 5 button thermostate, we have the phone cord in place with the ducts. We have the Penquin II Low Profile so our numbers are different than yours. We have a return ticket to send it back.

The way we see it, it is a 2 part problem. #1 Dometic's skilled tech should talk to you and walk you through what you have and what you need. They will talk to the install tech but as you say they know nothing and learning on your dime. When we called Dometic we waited 45 min. and was #30 in line. Do I want to pay while the tech is waiting in line on the phone what I could be doing myself???? #2. Install tech's have no training or experience but cheap to employ. End result poor customer service and lost of $$$ in their pocket when they get thier air conditioner back because no one can tell us how to get it installed correctly.

I could go on all day but good for you on your own install. We have not been that lucky!!
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cdaniels

At this time we have an air, tons of extra parts, and still no successful install. We want it ducted to the older 5 button thermostate, we have the phone cord in place with the ducts. We have the Penquin II Low Profile so our numbers are different than yours. We have a return ticket to send it back.

The way we see it, it is a 2 part problem. #1 Dometic's skilled tech should talk to you and walk you through what you have and what you need. They will talk to the install tech but as you say they know nothing and learning on your dime. When we called Dometic we waited 45 min. and was #30 in line. Do I want to pay while the tech is waiting in line on the phone what I could be doing myself???? #2. Install tech's have no training or experience but cheap to employ. End result poor customer service and lost of $$$ in their pocket when they get thier air conditioner back because no one can tell us how to get it installed correctly.

I could go on all day but good for you on your own install. We have not been that lucky!!
Bill,

You might want to check out these folks. The seem to know what is needed.

http://www.rvpartwholesaler.com/serv...uin-CCC/Detail

I almost order it, but Camping World said it won't work, and I really don't have a way to get it up on the roof, so I went with what Camping World said I needed. Big mistake.

I bet they have the control box that will work for you unit. Give them a try. I learn more from there site than any other place.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:15 PM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
If you persist in using Camping World and suffer from occasional (or frequent) problems, you should join RV.net. Now I don't advocate it for Montana related discussions (or pretty much anything else), but it does have a section you should be aware of. It turns out RV.net is joined at the hip with CW. So much so that Marcus Lemonis, Chairman and CEO FreedomRoads, Camping World and RVs.com has his own category of topics under the umbrella title of "Dear Marcus". Here you can "Ask Marcus if you have questions, concerns or praise about:" the various CW offerings including "Camping World Service and Installation". http://www.rv.net/Forum/index.cfm/fu...s/forum/97.cfm

Apparently Marcus (or a designated representative) is on the forum and whenever there is a serious problem with Camping World customers he jumps in and helps solve the problem very rapidly. It can't hurt to make a posting describing your problem and see if grabs his attention. You can also email him from that forum if you are reluctant to make a scene in public.

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:40 AM   #10
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I Just got a Penguin 2 from Campming world and got for what I thought was a good deal, $604 and $6.00 shipping.
Took me 3 hours, not having messed with one before. Hardest Part getting it up 13 ft. My trailer was pre wired for power but to cable for thermostat. So I am using the knobs on the unit.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote