Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2011, 03:26 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Can the propane supply system be upgraded

I have noticed persistent problems when using the generator in that the supply system faults the generator out when one propane bottle is depleted. Logic tells me that the problem has to be in the supply system to the generator. I can switch the tanks and the genny will run again for about half of the tank. It was all factory installed (which I am sure means top-of-the-line American-made, Quality control tested parts ). I am strongly considering completely replacing the entire system to make sure that the flow requirements for the generator are being met. First question, are the OEM products in the rig Marshall's?? If not, I think that is the way that I want to go and am considering remote tank level readers, with auto-switchover and connections that will support the feed rates required for the genny. If anyone has done this, your input will be valued, considered and most likely adapted to use. Fire away MOC!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:37 AM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I know this is not an exact comparison,but when we put a propane powered heater in our back shop, the propane people gave me a different regulator to use,they said that the standard one will not give enough volumn to run it properly. that may be the case with the generator. Maybe you will need to run a separate line with a different reg. to get to use all of the propane in the tank. Just a thought...
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:11 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I would contact Keystone and ask them, with the thousands of units they have out there, this has had to come up.
You could spend a ton of money and waste a bunch of time re-engineering the system otherwise. The Propane system is a balanced system, altering one aspect of it may screw something else up.
Good luck with it.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:05 AM   #4
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
My thought is maybe the genny is using propane faster than it can be gassed off in the small tanks especially if other propane powered items are being used and if weather is cooler. JMHO.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:15 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I would guess if I could install an in-line digital manometer, that would answer the gassing question. It seems like the faulting is concurring on the switchover from one tank to the other, which could be some differential pressures on the system. I do know the propane generators are very specific in their supply needs. I am thinking of removing the auto-switchover and using both tanks simultaneously.
Bingo
Old 11-30-2011, 06:15 AM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
BINGO,
My first reaction was the issue with the "red" regulator being so low. Based on your comment, if they problem shows when you go from the main tank (one closest to the switching regulator) to the aux tank I would look at replacing that red regulator.
Just my reaction to your issues.
Best of luck, let us know what you find.
Merry Christmas.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:55 AM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Valid point John, considering all the previous forum posts regarding troubles with the red regulator.
bingo
Old 11-30-2011, 10:09 AM   #8
GA Mountaineer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11997
We haven't had the Mountaineer long enough to use a bottle of gas. But our Jayco with split tanks would not make a clean switch from the near tank to the far tank. Once I figured that out I always ran the far tank 1st, end of problem. Then switched the bottles and bled the air from the system at home, better to do it when the wife isn't fussing about the stove going out

2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD
GA Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:37 AM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
That is definitely worth a try!! It even makes sense that there would not be (as much of) a pressure loss when switching to the closest tank to the auto-switchover!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:51 PM   #10
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Awesome!!! Interesting read today!

The thread begins with a possibility of a "huge project" & ends with some very common sense solutions first!!!

Go MOC!!!
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:19 PM   #11
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Bingo if nothing else works you can remove the red regulator and try it without it atleast that will tell you if it is the problem. I have never had one on my 06 don't want one!! JMHO
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote