Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
HELP! Winegard Carryout

I need some help with a Winegard Carryout. I have looked at every post I can find on this forum and others and still cannot get this to work.

I have a brand new Carryout with all new coax. I ran the coax from the Carryout to the convenience center input. Disconnected the jumper in convenience center and hooked up a coax from the top connection to the "satellite in" on my Dish Network VIP211K box and then a HDMI cable from the box to the TV.

I ran check switch test and nothing. It took about 20 minutes to run the 38 steps. It did clear out any satellites that were on the box. All I ever got after the check switch was "No signal" messages.

Hmmm. Maybe it's the trailer wiring....disconnected all that and ran the coax directly from the Carryout to the receiver box. Same messages.

Where am I going wrong? According the the videos on line this is supposed to be "easy".

trlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I am guessing the no signal message is on the TV. Did you change the TV source from Coax to HDMI?
Good Luck.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:57 AM   #3
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
I did do that.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
If you are sure the Sat receive is talking to the TV, then you have to check your coax between your dish and receiver. Since you are on Dish I can not help any more because I use DirecTV.
Good luck.
Happy Thanksgiving.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
When I hook the Carryout directly to my Dish receiver it works perfectly. When I try to use the trailer wiring I get a no signal message. What I'm trying to figure out is what (if anything) I'm doing wrong. I've turned off the power on my antenna. I've tried disconnecting the loop in the entertainment center to no avail.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:30 PM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I see you have a 2010 3400RL but I suspect you don't have the new dedicated wiring system with separate connections for satellite inputs. You wrote

"...hooked up a coax from the top connection to the "satellite in" on my Dish Network VIP211K box..."

Have you tried using the bottom RF connector to your receiver? There is no guarantee which of those RF connectors is attached to the outside feed vs. the cable to the TV itself.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:27 AM   #7
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Have you tried to go through the inputs on the tv? Most times there is several inputs and if not on the right one you will get the results you are getting. Can't tell you which one is the correct one but scan all them.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:32 AM   #8
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
agree with Carl, try the other plug in the entertainment center. Some are top = sat others are bottom = sat and then mark them yourself if that works.
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:22 AM   #9
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
First you need to make sure the Sat box it talking to the TV, even without the box connected to the dish I would think you should get some type of message from the box to the TV. I know at least with DirecTV you get like the DirecTV Logo (don't recall for sure) but you should get something so you know you're good there. Then you could work on the coax connections, but don't forget it is possible you just got a bad box or dish. Good luck
Old 11-23-2011, 06:00 AM   #10
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
O.K. color me confused. First, can the OP clarify the "no signal" message? Is this message originating from the receiver (I don't have Dish but on DirecTV you get a logo display if the receiver is connected to the TV) or the TV (usually a much more terse message coupled with a blank screen)??? Hopefully it is the Dish message as that confirms the TV is connected to the receiver.

Second, on 11/22 at 4:18:19 PM the OP wrote:
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by trlrboy

.....I ran check switch test and nothing. It took about 20 minutes to run the 38 steps. It did clear out any satellites that were on the box. All I ever got after the check switch was "No signal" messages.

Hmmm. Maybe it's the trailer wiring....disconnected all that and ran the coax directly from the Carryout to the receiver box. Same messages.....
The on 11/22 at 6:32:21 PM the OP wrote:
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by trlrboy

.....When I hook the Carryout directly to my Dish receiver it works perfectly. When I try to use the trailer wiring I get a no signal message......
Does this mean the OP ran the cables from the Carryout directly to the receiver in the RV (through the window or some other direct connect route) and then out via HDMI to the TV in the RV and it worked??? If so, then the problem is in the coax within the RV.

Has the outside cable/satellite coax ever been used before?
No - check the continuity of the coax from the convenience center to the entertainment center.
Yes - Try using the other RF connector in the entertainment center (as already pointed out, there is no guarantee which of the two RF connectors is the "input" one).

Here is a link to the Montana TV wiring diagrams. There are two diagrams, one for Montanas built prior to 1/18/2010 and a second for those built subsequently. Perhaps they will provide some clarity on the internal RV wiring connections.
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37324&SearchTerms=tv,wiring,diagr am

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:52 AM   #11
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
My Monty is an '08 and I only have one connection for cable or Sat. There were times that I wanted both hooked up so I could watch Dish, local channels or switch to the cable. I ran a new cable from the convienence center to an A/B box behind the sat receiver. Now I can switch between cable and Sat. with the push of a button. This also eliminates the need to connect/reconnect anything behind the TV now. When I connect to the Dish Carryout there is no guessing if I have it connected right. Good thing for an old guy like me.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:47 AM   #12
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
I tried everyone's suggestions. Still nothing. The receiver talks to the TV OK because I can run check switch but then get zero results from that.

I went to a RV parts place and bought a covered outdoor coax input. Drilled a hole right through the wall and installed it. Now it has its own dedicated input right to the receiver. Everything works fine.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:50 AM   #13
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
glad you got it worked out! I did the same thing with mine just because it is easier than having to make all the changes from cable to sat.

Enjoy the shows!

Phil
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:40 AM   #14
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I'm a little confused here. If you are having a check switch problem then thats a different problem all together. You say you are getting no results on a check switch, but its running ok if you hook directly to the reciever. Does the check switch perform correct when hooked directly to the reciever? If not on some recievers there is now a new procedure to check switch other than whats in the directions. When you go to check switch screen the new procedure is check both the Alternate and Super Dish. This is per dish network. I had this very problem and it worked for me.

If that is in fact your problem?

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:51 AM   #15
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Remove the wall plate with the coax and check the 'F' connectors. Behind the TV and at the convenience center. Many of us have had these connectors poorly crimped.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote