Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2011, 04:03 AM   #1
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
Generator ?

When running both Honda 2000IU generators I have just plugged the main power cord into one of them and left the breakers inside alone.I read a different thread and someone stated that they turn off the breaker for the convertor.I would like some advice on that.Should you or not or doesnt it matter? Thanks for any advice on this one.

sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:44 AM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
sjf, I think I read the same post but the issue was different. The 1/2 time micro wouldn't work with the generator. Consensus was it was decreased output of generator due to altitude. I think some further testing was required. The suggestion was killing the converter would cut the load on the generator by approx 6 amps. Problem is with converter killed battery won't recharge so the suggestion was just to kill it when needing the microwave. Long answer to your question but my suggestion is don't kill anything until you experience an overload on the generator. Jim
Old 07-02-2011, 06:05 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Only one thing I can add to Jim's well said post is to stage the loads, turn all breakers off, turn them on one by one with a 3 second count between 'flips'.
All loads on at once is hard on the Hondas.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:52 AM   #4
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I don’t recall any one recommending leaving the converter off for extended periods of time. The time will vary depending on the 12 V load and the number of batteries you have installed in your unit.

Our unit came with one battery. This battery will support the unit when unoccupied and all of the lights off but with the 12 V units like the AC thermostat and refrigerator on for 24 hours before becoming discharged enough to cause problems with the normal electrical load. After 24 hour you have to use jumpers or hook up the TV and let it run for an hour or so in order to retract the slide rooms.

It is not recommended to store these units without at least 15 Amp. 110 V electric hooked to it to keep the battery from going dead unless it has been prepared for extended storage. One thing Keystone does do is give you the information needed to put the unit in extended storage.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
Thanks for all the help,
Steve
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote