Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Leaking toilet, with photos

Last week, after dumping and cleaning our black tank as we normally do, the toilet bowl refused to hold water. We didn't do anything different--no extra-hard scrubbing, no extra brushing of the seal, etc. But, the water drains right out of the bowl now.

We've bought a seal repair kit and will be installing it this week. However, we noticed that the seal now seems to be lopsided when the ball is closed, so that probably is related to the problem. Before we take the toilet apart for the repair, is there anything else we should trouble-shoot in order to be sure we get the problem fixed?

You can see in the photos that more black seal is showing on one side than on the other. We can't imagine what caused that to happen with just a routine dumping of the tank, but that's now what we see (and didn't see prior to this last cleaning).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Wayne and Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Ours came with a device (looks like a tongue suppressor) with instructions to clean under the edge of the opening with ball open, don't know, might help.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
2 for Him
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7383
Wayne,
Sometimes it is just a very small piece of toilet paper or such in the groove of the seal. It's easy to make a bent peice of wire to run around the groove and clean it out. I've even heard others use a bent tine on an old fork in an emergency. Ive had to to this several times when the "slam action" trick didn't cure the problem first.
2 for Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
Sinterior
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9238
Our rubber seal is off center as well, but doesn't leak.
Sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:07 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Mine stopped holding water 3 years ago. I noticed my seal was also offset to one side. Called Sealand and lady told me how to take it apart, clean the seal, and lube it with a food grade oil such as Pam. Told me she would send a new seal if that did not work.
I took it apart, cleaned it, sprayed it with Pam, and was careful to make sure the seal was as close to perfectly centered as I could get it. Has held water fine ever since.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:39 PM   #6
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Mine did this also. I put a pair of rubber gloves on held the stopper open and reseated the rubber. Just reach under the lip and work it up into the groove . I also use o-ring lube on the seal it made for rubber seals.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:00 PM   #7
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Okay, no help here, but thanks for making sure you had a clean bowl when you took the photo. I hope you get the issue resolved.

Jack
Old 05-22-2011, 06:04 PM   #8
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
If the groove in the seal were any cleaner, I could probably store my toothbrush there if I wanted to do so (NOT!). So, tomorrow we'll try taking the seal off/apart, double-cleaning it again, and reseating it with some lubricant. If that doesn't work, we'll try the new seal. And then . . .

Why does something like this seem to happen when it's time to leave on a trip?

Thanks for all the suggestions--surely we'll have some success with this problem tomorrow!

Wayne & Carolyn

PS: Yes, Jack, I made sure the bowl was sparkling clean when I took the photos. Sharing one's toilet bowl with MOC members is just about as embarrassing as hooking up and making sure the Sewer Solution works fine in front of MOC friends at a rally (a la 7 Feathers in 2009)!
Old 05-23-2011, 04:51 AM   #9
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
So after my smart a** comment I felt a little bad and thought I would at least try to offer some useful advice. I'm sure you have probably already done this, but I looked in the troubleshooting section of the toilet owner's manual and have copied and pasted it here:

PROBLEM
Water will not stay in bowl

POSSIBLE CAUSES / SOLUTIONS

A. Loose band clamp. Tighten adjusting screw.
B. Improper seal around flush ball due to dirt or debris on underside of ball seal. Inspect flush ball and
underside of seal. Clean under seal if needed (see page 4. Cleaning tool available – part no. 600344236).
C. Worn or damaged seal. Replace seal.
D. Worn or damaged flush ball. Replace flush ball.

Also, just in case you do not have the owner's manual here is a link to it: Dometic Sealand/Traveler Lite Manual. The manual will also help you identify components for the toilet. I hope this helps and you get the toilet fixed.

r,
Jack
Old 05-24-2011, 05:01 AM   #10
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
When you install the new seal there is a small amount of shift in it and if it is not right you can move it alittle to make it fit right I had to change mine. I have replaced mine 2 times. just loosen the clamp then set the seal like you want it ck in the bowl then tighten the clamp.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:19 PM   #11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Thanks for the suggestions, Jack. When we realized we'd be doing some "hands on" work in a place where we weren't crazy about putting our hands (even when wearing gloves), I did a double-duty cleaning job on that toilet bowl. Nice to know my work was appreciated!

We're hoping the problem is with the seal rather than with the flush ball. The seal replacement seems a bit more straightforward and an easier repair. Still, I have visions of us rolling into 7 Feathers continuing to deal with a plastic bag filled with water being used as a temporary seal while we're scratching our heads and wondering what toilet repair we need to try next. It's just so weird that it worked perfectly prior to emptying the black tank and then the leak developed. It just has to be the seal . . . something got into the seal or the seal was damaged when we cleaned the bowl . . . who knows?

Carolyn
Old 05-25-2011, 12:48 AM   #12
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I've been hesitating to even look at this post after reading the title.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #13
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
The toilet is fixed! Water stays in the bowl! Wayne replaced the seal today, and the problem is solved. The old seal was curled and uneven, so obviously that was why the water leaked out rapidly.

Carolyn
Old 05-26-2011, 05:05 PM   #14
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Glad you got it fixed before you had 80 or so of your best-est MOC buddies helping you.

Jack
Old 05-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #15
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
But I can't imagine a better place to get help than at the rally! (It is nice, however, to have a functioning toilet again. )

Carolyn
Old 05-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #16
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
We have an intermittent problem with loss of water. I have an replacement seal. All I need is Wayne to do the the exchange. When is he available?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:47 AM   #17
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Maybe I can get you to put on a demonstration at the rally as to how to change out the seal, so keep it clean.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #18
zman08
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6806
This sounds like a good "show and tell" topic for 7 Feathers.
zman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:13 AM   #19
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Just some notes about the "show-and-tell"

- Make sure the bowl is clean during any "show-and-tell".
- Make sure the black tank is clean, too. Nothing like extra odors wafting around during a trailer full of people participating in a "show-and-tell".
- How are you gonna get that many interested parties in the rig's bathroom for a "show-and-tell"? Visions of college students in a phone booth come to mind. Remember those?
- No biological "show-and-tell please. Or else, the "show" is for the seal part, the "tell" is for everything else. (NCFishers post comes to mind)
- It's funny how we all feel "embarassed" about something we ALL should know about. What's the surprise? What's to be embarrassed about? As long as we don't have to "show-and-tell" the private moments, what's to fret about?
- I guess I have nothing to be concerned about since I'm not going to the rally. Whew!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:12 PM   #20
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
You have NO idea how Wayne reacted when I read to him the posts preceding this. First, it was, "Carolyn, what did you get me into? I'm NOT going to do it. What did you put that on that forum?" Then it was, "No way, I can't do that. Why did you have to say I fixed it?" He was really working up some steam. I couldn't hold back any longer and started laughing. After he calmed down (we won't talk about how long that took), he realized he was being kidded. But boy, you guys had him going for a minute.

Thanks so much. It's nice to have help getting him going.

Carolyn