Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
Mel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10238
Front jack not working

The front leveler jack on the entry side has quick working. This is the second time this has occured in six months. The last time they replace the leveler.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Any suggestions on how to keep it from happening in the future?

I am wondering if I need to get a heavier duty leveler.

Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:00 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Mel,
Which side is not working? The side with the motor or the side without?
When you say they replaced the leveler that do you mean?
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:08 AM   #3
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I have had my share of front jack failures.

You should try to adoid running them all the way up or down.

They should be lubricated and cleaned once a year. Especially the top gears.

Failure of your jack, this time, could be a number of things. It could be a poor install, a bolt falling out or breaking, or other easy to fix things, unrelated to your other failure.

You can get stronger jacks. There are a couple of kinds to consider and some have been discussed in this forum. A search here can pull up some good info.

When those jacks fail, they fail at the worst times and places. I hope yours is an easy fix. Good luck.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:49 AM   #4
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
First thing I'd check is the shear pin/bolt in the box shaft that connects the motor to the leg mechanism. If the motor turns the shaft but leg doesn't move, that may be the problem?! 1/4-20 bolt about 1 1/2" long. Good luck solving the problem.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:56 AM   #5
mobil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10437
As Capn Chris said, check the shear pin/bolt, on the shaft that runs to the pass side leveler. Mine broke about two weeks ago, probably from running the jacks all the way in, which I won't do again. On mine, it's a 1/4-20 bolt 1 1/4" long.
mobil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:23 AM   #6
Mel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10238
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

Mel,
Which side is not working? The side with the motor or the side without?
When you say they replaced the leveler that do you mean?
1) The front on the side with the door.
2) I am not sure, we wife and daughter took the trailer with grandkids. I will check when I join them in ten days.
3) They replaced both front level jacks.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:36 AM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
If the motor is running and the motor side is working then you have two possibilities. First I would look to see if the bolt on the square tube is missing. There are bolts on each side of the tube so check both. If the bolt is ok, then you have to go into the top of the leg that is not working and check for a busted pin or stripped gears.
If it is the motor side that is not working then it is either the busted pin or stripped gears.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:28 AM   #8
Mel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10238
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

If the motor is running and the motor side is working then you have two possibilities. First I would look to see if the bolt on the square tube is missing. There are bolts on each side of the tube so check both. If the bolt is ok, then you have to go into the top of the leg that is not working and check for a busted pin or stripped gears.
If it is the motor side that is not working then it is either the busted pin or stripped gears.
Thanks John. It is the non motor side, so you have helped me know what to focus on.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:40 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Agree on the shear pin. That happened to us not long ago.

Hopefully your problem is not on the motor side.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #10
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Both of mine failed in the second month I had the trailer and about 8 operations. The landing gear had been painted black when the trailer frame was painted at the factory. We never retracted the landing gear any further than where the paint mark was.

The first one that failed was the passenger side leg in the up position. I called the dealer and he advised me to purchase a pump jack. So I purchased 2 pump jacks and didn’t use the landing gear except for the mechanical part with the pin the locks them.

On the way home from Branson the driver’s side leg fell down on the road at about 60 MPH. Fortunately no damage. I had some cargo straps with me and I strapped it up and didn’t unhook from the TV until I got back to the dealer.

The dealer went thru this song and dance about I damaged them by running them up to far. They replaced them under warranty. Then when I got the Montana back from him the fuse was popped for the new landing gear because his mechanics had retracted it to far.

I disconnected the electric motor and retracted the legs by hand until they stopped at the top. I then removed the bar between the driver’s side and the passenger’s side and found they were out of synchronization with each other. I retracted both all the way up by hand. Put them together and ran them down 1 inch and marked the leg with a Sharpie. We now don’t retract them any further than the mark. No more problems with the legs but had a lot of problems with the electrics.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote