Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2011, 02:37 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
HEY KEYSTONE!

Bingo had a recall on his new 2011 Montana 5th wheel, the addition of support for hanging suspension assembly.... Free.
Mor-Ryde has made a product we feel we have to buy and install because of failures of that hanging bracket, they call it 'The X-factor', cute name, and around $150.00.
There seems to be a Hap-hazard addition of supports, buttresses, and reinforcements, some not even attached to stress points. It's like the shop foreman said to the welder, "Just tack some scrap metal somewhere around the hanging support...if you think about it."
It does not take a Rocket scientist to see that the frames are not adapted correctly for the suspension that is installed.
Someone where these things are assembled needs to implement some corrective action.
At the very least: Publish engineer drawings that show the proper way to make our frames stronger at the hanger area. Size of supports, where to weld them in, and so on.
(I know most of us can figure out how to do this, but I want them to put something out.) Something a guy can give 'Smitty's Portable welding' when you call them out.
I also know that they do not want to admit making a mistake because they might have to spend a ton of money making this situation right.
They need to do something.....
(I posted this here because I don't really figure Keystone will read it wherever I post it.)

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:48 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I completely concur (that should be agree in hillbilly)!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:55 AM   #3
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Now that we have upgraded our springs, u-bolts, wet-bolts and shocks , I will be installing cross members from side to side to hold those shackle hangers rigid and in place. Any time I back in from a 90 degree angle or make a sharp turn forward and watch those axles move from side to side, I continually anticipate the strength of those light hangers and will they tear away from the frame??
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:05 AM   #4
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Don't forget the replacement of the Pillsbury Dough Boy Mission tires!
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:18 AM   #5
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
I don't think you'll ever rip the box off the I-beam. Long before that happens it will tilt into the gap between your tires. If you're lucky this will happen in a campground as you complete your back in and you'll get automatic wheel chocks to prevent you from falling off your flimsy front jacks.

If you're not lucky this final tilting will happen on the highway at 60 m.p.h., whereupon one tire will get sliced like a fresh caught bass and the other will be holed like a fresh shot moose. As I write this, one of my boxes is sitting about an inch and a quarter from one of my tires. As you may tell from the smile on my words, this doesn't make me real comfy.

I figure my next option will be two cameras aimed at my wheels and one mounted underneath the rig focused on my U-bolts. Nahhh!
Old 04-06-2011, 05:42 AM   #6
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
When will Keystone offer the Mor Ryde IS system as an option? As stated on their website, four manufactures offer it now. It would end a lot of problems. Richfaa should attest to that.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:01 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bullroc3

When will Keystone offer the Mor Ryde IS system as an option? As stated on their website, four manufactures offer it now. It would end a lot of problems. Richfaa should attest to that.
As we have stated many times .It has been our opinion that the OEM suspension was not adequate for the kind of use some of us put these 5th wheels to. Example we have run this 06 3400 at least 45K over all kinds of roads and the OEM suspension was put under all kinds of stress.

We did go with the Mor Ryde IS system and it was not cheap but in our case worth the investment as we no longer give the suspension system a thought and we feel a lot better going down the road.

IMO Keystone should offer at least the Mor ryde as a option.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Well, another thought, How about having the proper frame and all of it's associated parts work for us, so we don't have to spend money and time upgrading these things just so we can travel relatively worry free..
I would make a wager that no dealership that any of us did business with, told the purchaser that they would have to do the things we are having to do. Not hard use, not even that many miles on some of the rigs.
Prime examples: Wet Bolts, X-factor, and flimsy hitches that they are installing now, they can't even hold two bicycles to name a very few...
They also didn't tell us we would have to shell out the money to buy the IS system so we wouldn't have to worry about problems.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I think it will change the sales pitch. We will give you xx% off of the MSRP, but if you want to actually use the rig after you pull it off the lot, we (dealer) will need to change the tires, beef up the suspension, replace the rear hitch receiver, etc. etc. I am really regretting to tell you that your total purchase price off the lot will actually equal the MSRP!!!! Do we still have a deal???? However, in the interest of fairness, we will still provide you with a 10 foot complimentary sewer hose. Oh, forgot to mention, you really need 20 or 30 feet, so we will mark up the prices so we can absorb the cost of the 10 foot one we are giving you!! Ahhhhh, American ingenuity at it's best!!!
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Well written Bingo.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:41 AM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Y'all are making me glad I just have a steel equalizer between the springs. From what I see, the Moryde system has a lot more leverage on the flange of the frame than mine does.

I'm thinking it's not a lot of wear and tear, but just one good tight angle backup or turn that can do the damage. Like someone mentioned about moving them around on the dealer lot with a tractor; probably some that leave the dealer already bent.

Wonder if the recall was mandated by the NHTSA or voluntary?
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #12
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
This forum brings this:.........my dealer (largest Montana dealer here in WI) said they never heard of the Mission Tire problem

Roy

Makes you wonder..........................
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:06 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Them: Liar, liar, pants on fire...
Old 04-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #14
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
What about the cheesey 10 or 15 foot white water hose they threw in with the deal. Keep the hose and sewer hose stuff as I already have that frtom the trailer I am trading in and upgrade my tires and suspension.
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #15
GaryM
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9975
I talked to the Sales Manager from Keystone at the Jackson Rally and I said that you need to put out a RV with a high quality frame and running gear. He said that the cost was too high. I said 90% of the Montana owners are upgrading there equipment already and that we would not mind paying the extra cost. I hope I was not wrong. I would pay the extra cost for a reliable RV. That sounds a little ironic, because it should already be reliable.

Gary
GaryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:13 AM   #16
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GaryM

I talked to the Sales Manager from Keystone at the Jackson Rally and I said that you need to put out a RV with a high quality frame and running gear. He said that the cost was too high. I said 90% of the Montana owners are upgrading there equipment already and that we would not mind paying the extra cost. I hope I was not wrong. I would pay the extra cost for a reliable RV. That sounds a little ironic, because it should already be reliable.

Gary
Think maybe the issue might be weight instead of cost? There is another brand or two that build their own frames....they are very heavy.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:36 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
we are a different lot of folks. We use our units for far more than "recreational use" and the hard use we give them shows. we have spent nearly 4K on upgrades most on the suspension system. We can purchase a heavy duty truck and pay more for it..Why not a heavy duty 5th wheel???
Old 04-07-2011, 06:43 AM   #18
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
I disagree that this twisting is due to hard use. My rig only has 5,000 miles on it. Keystone and many dealers have these nifty fork lifts, with rear steer tires and pin sockets out at the end of the forks. I'd wager that these cute little tractors do the deed before you ever get a loan.

Have you ever watched these lot jockies (even at Keystone)? They go really fast and turn rigs on a dime. I've seen it personally. They put way more stress out then you ever will with your truck.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:15 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I hear you pbahlin..however our 06 3400 had at least 40K on it and it has seen some hard use and bad roads and sharp turns and bouncing for miles. Even with the Mor Ryde pin box we have been on roads that near Jarred our filling out and had to make some turns that should never have been attempted. I will not, If I can help it, allow a dealer to pick up our unit with a fork lift. I note that at Mor Ryde we were asked to back our 3400 into the bay.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:19 AM   #20
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I am considering carrying a bucket of sand with a lid on it. When I get into a very tight turn situation I would be able to spread sand under, and around the tire, this would give some slip action. We know that 'something' has to give in that tight turn.