Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
underpar

M.O.C. #10082
Noisy furnace fan

We have an '05 Montana 2955RL The furnace fan started making lots of racket. I don't know if there is something in the fan or if it is something else. Either way, I think the furnace needs to come out to check it propperly. The furnace is a Dometic duo-therm and sits under the refrigerator. Has anyone taken their furnace out? What is involved in getting it out and back in?
Thanks
Brent

underpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Underpar,
We have had our furnace out several times. Unfortunately we have a different year and model than yours so I can't help you with your particular situation. But someone ought to come along soon and give you what you need.

The hard part for us was simply getting the furnace in and out. Of course there is the problem of dealing with disconnecting and reconnecting the gas line. As I said it is pretty difficult to simply get the thing in and out. Working in the furnace is pretty straight forward. Our last foray into the thing we discovered we needed a new control board. Swapped out the old one for a new one and put everything back together and put back in its little hole.

We checked out the fan while we had it out and it was working fine. I do not remember if it had an oil port or not. Once you go to all the trouble of getting the unit out you might as well put in a new fan unit. If that is the problem. Like you said perhaps it is simply something in the fan.

Good luck. HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:32 AM   #3
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Disconnect the wiring and gas Line no problem. two screws hold the unit to the floor.It will slide out.Sorry forgot to mention you do this inside of the rig.I found mud dobber nest on the squirrel cage fan. I cut the wires and then added quick connect terminals so if i had to do the same in the future.When sliding back in you need to be sure to slide on to the vent tubes.
I have a 2955
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:59 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
What kind of noise? Out of balance fan type noise?
Ken is probably on target, my rooftop A/C unit over the bedroom is real noisy when I turned it on to exercise it a week or so ago, Also Mud dobbers...
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:14 AM   #5
rotti
Established Member

M.O.C. #10061
I had a hickory nut end up in the furnace fan 3 years ago. Man talk about noise. Not only did traps get run but the air intake got a heavy screen. Mine was not to difficult to remove and get cleaned out.. Fan bearings drying out on the AC units are the biggest cause of failures. A little oil goes along way.
rotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:32 AM   #6
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
The fan bearing will make a high pitched whine and gets real noisy. I pulled the gas heater and ended up taking it to a rv shop as they had the tools and knowledge to do it the easy way. This was on our 99 Montana 2750. I am supposedly mechanically inclined but felt it was above my pay scale. I think it cost me about $50 in shop repair
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote