Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2010, 03:15 PM   #1
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
bathroom ceiling fan switch??

Have a 2006 Montana 3400RL whose fan switch for the bathroom ceiling fan has gone intermittent. Can only the switch be replaced? Can one get to it by removing the plastic frame from the underside?

Anyone who has been through this, I would appreciate a little guidance or some suggestions before I start tearing things apart. Thanks in advance.

Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have replaced the motor several times. It all comes down fairly easily and I would think the switch could be replaced as well. I've been wanting to relocate the switch to the wall but have not got round to it.......It would have been nice if Keystone located the light and fan switch together inside the bivvy instead of the light outside and the fan switch barely reachable for short people.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
12volt, yes? I took a glance, looks like a piece of cake. If 12v, head to the local auto parts store...if 110v, head to lowes or hd. Or, just go to radio shack, they've probably got both.

I agree....why it's not on the wall is mind boggling. I mean, really....how much trouble would it have been?
Bill
Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Bill, if they did that we wouldn't have projects to do while we have nothing better to do!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Sometimes when it's time to use that switch everyone turns into a short person if you know what I mean. Just this last outing I was thinking about repositioning the switch because I ate something that didn't agree with me and I was on the throne a lot over a 3 day period. Since I'm always seated no matter what (learned that from other RVers), I couldn't reach the stupid switch if I forgot to turn it on and I was already seated. Gee, I guess you all really needed the justification, huh? The other option is to keep a long handle in there like a broom or something similar.

The BIL just replaced his fan fin assembly because they had shattered. While he had to remove the fan parts and not the switch, getting to it was pretty much the same. He screwed off the vent flange and it drops down (but remember the position because it might be tapered to fit only one way), then unscrew the cover handle and the screen pretty much drops down. My rig is the same way and hopefully so is yours. Watch out though, removing the vent flange might result in a bunch of leftover debris still up in the ceiling to come raining down. Manufacturing workers don't always clean up after themselves. Fortunately we were wearing glasses and kept our mouths closed. All is good now with his fan and with whatever I ate.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:03 AM   #6
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Dick put a switch (now a double switch) in the bathroom so I can easily turn the fan on. I love it. One of the best mods he's done. Can't imagine why Keystone doesn't do that out of the factory.
Sharon
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:11 PM   #7
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
I relocated my light switch to the wall inside and while there I put a double and made one the fan. I still have the button up top but I leave it on and use the wall switch. And I also think keystone should have done this but I do love to do mods. I really just love the credit. LOL.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:46 PM   #8
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
Thanks for the responses. Ok, do I understand properly that I can get to the switch to replace it from the inside at the ceiling?
Old 12-13-2010, 04:08 PM   #9
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Dave it is a small push button switch that you get at a local hardware or auto parts and it is easy to change from the bottom.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:31 AM   #10
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Sometimes when it's time to use that switch everyone turns into a short person if you know what I mean. Just this last outing I was thinking about repositioning the switch because I ate something that didn't agree with me and I was on the throne a lot over a 3 day period. Since I'm always seated no matter what (learned that from other RVers), I couldn't reach the stupid switch if I forgot to turn it on and I was already seated. Gee, I guess you all really needed the justification, huh? The other option is to keep a long handle in there like a broom or something similar.

The BIL just replaced his fan fin assembly because they had shattered. While he had to remove the fan parts and not the switch, getting to it was pretty much the same. He screwed off the vent flange and it drops down (but remember the position because it might be tapered to fit only one way), then unscrew the cover handle and the screen pretty much drops down. My rig is the same way and hopefully so is yours. Watch out though, removing the vent flange might result in a bunch of leftover debris still up in the ceiling to come raining down. Manufacturing workers don't always clean up after themselves. Fortunately we were wearing glasses and kept our mouths closed. All is good now with his fan and with whatever I ate.
Art, what you need is an infrared beam that turns on the fan when the beam is broken. I don't think I need to tell where to position the beam...
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:40 AM   #11
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
Ok, this is good. For some reason I'm not getting emails when messages are posted to this thread. In fact I'm not getting notices on any of the topics I've subscribed to. I must be doing something wrong.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:18 AM   #12
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
Ok,

Switch is replaced. Not all that difficult. The replacement switch I got had a slightly larger body which made it a tight fit but it worked out. Thanks for the help.