Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2010, 12:13 PM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
shear bolt size for landing gear?

One of the shear bolts in the cross-locker shaft of the landing gear mechanism did it's job and sheared off, recently. I found a bolt in my supply that would work but have doubts it has the strength to last long.

Anyone know the specs for the proper shear bolt? Besides strength, it has to be long enough to get the nut threaded in place but short enough not to hit the motor housing as it turns. The one sheared is on the motor end. I suppose the one on the other end of the shaft could be longer.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Steve from another post.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dandt

John...We would love the info.....don't feel safe taking it off truck.
Dick...How long has it been since you replaced the bolt with 1/4 20 stainless and have you had any problems
Jay...To answer your question only one stabilizer jack on front went down. other one stayed up because rod would not spin.
Thanks EVERYONE...this forum has saved our butts many times over. Teresa
I got these from my local Hardware True Value Hardware store.

The bolt or shear pin I use is a 1/4 x 3/4 Socket Shoulder Screw with 10-24 threads. The bolt has a 1/8" Hex wrench socket on the end. I use 10-24 Nylon insert lock nuts.
This is what it looks like

FYI, the threads are not part of the 3/4 length, just the shinny part.
Sorry I was slow posting this information.
NOTE: make sure it clears the Motor on the motor side. That side has the closets clearance.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, John. Good info!

I guess there's no need to worry about the strength rating like there is for the shear bolts for the slides, huh?
Old 10-28-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I just replaced with what was in there. The one I broke looked just like this one.

My personal opinion is they are bolts, not shear bolts. But I have been wrong before. (Well at least once.)
Old 10-28-2010, 01:46 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
"Shear" bolt is just the function, isn't it? Not a specific type of bolt? I thought the bolt is intended to be strong enough to handle normal duty but also be the weak point so if there is a serious problem it is the shear bolt that breaks rather than something expensive breaking. Right?

I will get some bolts of the size specified above to keep around for spares. I have the spares for the slide. Those are the spec MIMF gave us some time ago. Those required a particular strength rating to be strong enough to hold up under normal use and weak enough to be the weak point. But those bolts are too long for the landing gear application.

Thanks again. I'll get some spares next time I am in a hardware store. Soon. I'm not real confident about the bolt I'm using as a temporary measure.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Steve,
You said it better than I did. I feel the threads on this style bolt make it a shear type bolt that will do as you said.

My farming experience point to the soft bolts on the PTO that were shear bolts.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

I just replaced with what was in there. The one I broke looked just like this one.
Mine had a hex head rather than the head on the bolt shown. But I wouldn't think the head matters so long as I have the right tools to remove and install.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
The one I purchased has a hex head hole for an Allan wrench.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:21 PM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I have it somewhere in my stuff, but it is a cap screw, allen head, it needs to be close to the original to shear when too much torque on the shaft.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:31 PM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980

http://tinyurl.com/28g4jtn

http://tinyurl.com/29cqtz5
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:39 PM   #11
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
If there is a pattern on the HEX head of the broken bolt, or if it's gone check the remaining bolt at the other end of the shaft. That indicates the grade of bolt and reflects the sheer strength.
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:47 PM   #12
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

"Shear" bolt is just the function, isn't it? Not a specific type of bolt? I thought the bolt is intended to be strong enough to handle normal duty but also be the weak point so if there is a serious problem it is the shear bolt that breaks rather than something expensive breaking. Right?

I will get some bolts of the size specified above to keep around for spares. I have the spares for the slide. Those are the spec MIMF gave us some time ago. Those required a particular strength rating to be strong enough to hold up under normal use and weak enough to be the weak point. But those bolts are too long for the landing gear application.

Thanks again. I'll get some spares next time I am in a hardware store. Soon. I'm not real confident about the bolt I'm using as a temporary measure.
Steve, this is the bolt Spec. Dale gave for the slide bolts
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:39 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, all. Mine must have had that same head. It was gone from having sheared and dropped out. The one I put in has the hex head but I'll get some of the right ones soon as I can.

Dale's specs in that thread are for the slide mechanism shear bolts but what I need are for the landing gear. They're shorter. They may still be grade 8, but that's what I need to know. I have emailed Dale. Hopefully he'll see it before I need another bolt!