Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
Freeda II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7813
Electric heater in water tank

I keep blowing the fuse on the electric element in the water tank itself. Last winter I had to replace the element because it was blown. After it was fixed it still started to blow fuses. Now it is at an RV service centre. The tech informs me that all checks out and he can not see why it would be blowing fuses. Anyone have this problem before that can shed some light on the subject. If I can pass on this info they can get it fixed under my extended warranty. The unit is '08 3400RL

Freeda II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:43 PM   #2
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Have them measure the current drawn by the heater element to see if the breaker may be bad (easily done with an ac clamp meter). The breaker can trip only so many times before it starts degrading, and then it should be replaced.

If it's drawing too much current, then either the element is bad or it is the wrong size for the heater.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Did they install another element? It sounds as if since you replaced it the problem started. I would have them try another one and make sure the wiring is connected properly.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
Freeda II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7813
Thanks. I will follow up on these items
Old 10-17-2010, 10:26 PM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
There is another thread going on right now about the same issue. As it turned out it was the switch that was bad and needed replacing. Perhaps it was not exactly the same issue but very close. To add to the problem the switch would even test as OK then the next time it would test bad! So it was confusing. But finally got fixed.

Good luck.
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:05 AM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Freeda II

I keep blowing the fuse on the electric element in the water tank itself. Last winter I had to replace the element because it was blown. After it was fixed it still started to blow fuses. Now it is at an RV service centre. The tech informs me that all checks out and he can not see why it would be blowing fuses. Anyone have this problem before that can shed some light on the subject. If I can pass on this info they can get it fixed under my extended warranty. The unit is '08 3400RL
First here is the link Ham Rad mentioned. In your post you mention blowing the fuse, I think you mean circuit breaker.
I mention this because it is hard to troubleshoot when not sure of the references. I normally use the term fuse with the 12vdc side and circuit breakers with the 120 VAC side of electrical issues.
So if you are talking about the 120VAC circuit breaker in the units main panel that issues is closed.
I believe there are only three areas that can cause the circuit breaker to trip(blow). [list_to_fix][*] The heating element being bad.[*] The black outside switch is faulty as mentioned in the above post.[*] The electrical wiring junction points are faulty. This would be the hardest to troubleshoot.[*] And after thought. There is some other electrical outlet on the supply line. (This should not be there.)

When you say keep blowing how frequent is that cycle?

Good luck and I hope this helps.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:34 PM   #7
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Regarding point # 3 in John's post above I would check connection points inside the circuit breaker panel, on the black switch on the heater itself, and the termination on the heating element. Those are the only three I remember on my 3000RK. Firetrucker makes an excellent point about a weak breaker. Pretty cheap and easy to replace. Good luck and let us know what you find. Jim
Old 10-19-2010, 09:54 PM   #8
Freeda II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7813
Again. Thanks for all the info. My unit has now been winterized and stored until January when we plan to go south. I will be in Florida for 4 months and with all the good info I have received should be able to hopefullly resolve my issue at that time