Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2010, 12:48 PM   #1
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
It's that time of the year

Well once again it is that time of the year. For the third time in three years the O ring between the slide pump and reservior is leaking. This last fix lasted 6 months longer than the last two. I am going to buy a quart of ATF and a gallon of Super Clean and just let it leak. I just hope that the genius that thought an O ring and 4 small bolts would support a two quart bottle full of ATF on bumpy roads has trouble sleeping at night. This time I didn't notice the leak and the battery that is right under the pump shorted across and now that battery is shot.

Well rant over. We are looking at new trailers and Lippert is not a contender.

clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
Lawman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7940
There must be more to it than an O ring. Maybe the pump itself. If it was an O ring the rest of us would have more problems than I've seen listed here.
Lawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:27 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Clutch,
I'm with Lawman on this. There has to be more to it than just an "O" ring. A few folks have reported the problem but not a huge amount.

Secondly Lippert, I believe, does not produce trailers. They do, however, supply the bulk of the chassis for many of the trailer producers. If you don't want Lippert involved with your next trailer you should check to make sure they are not supplying the frame for whatever trailer you are interested in.

Good luck,
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:13 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our 06 has never leaked. Has @ 40K of our great roads on it. As Mentioned Lippert does not make campers but do make about 80/85% of the frames and hydraulic systems so that should narrow down your search.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:37 PM   #5
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
This on going problem has been in several shops and every time the report is the same. The O ring was leaking and the pump and tank are ok. The first two times it lasted about 6 months. This last time it did not leak for a year. It just seems like a poor design. They could have mounted the tank on the tray and used a hose to move the ATF as this part is not under any pressure.

I know that Lippert dosen't make trailers but they do make the frame and I will watch for that when we buy our next trailer. I am thinking about electric slides. I know that they have problems also but electricity dosen't make a mess like an oil leak. Just a few ounces goes a long way when you have a leak. I now have over $200 in O ring repairs plus two batteries because I can't just replace the one. The trailer may also have a charging problem because when I noticed the oil on the leg I could also smell hot battery. I don't know if it was because of the short or if the charging system was over loaded beause of it but the batteries were both boiling and probably had been for several days. The trailer is always plugged in.

If we were on back roads a lot I could understand but our trailer is probably on the road a lot less than most. It goes to Az in the fall and stays parked in the same spot until spring. We take it to Idaho in the spring and park it on our river lot until fall.

I am aware that all things have problems. We have been through AC problems, a very expensive refrigerator issue, the furnace quit last winter, and the ever present oil leak. The Montana part is the only part that seems to work.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #6
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Clutch: Is this the old pump with a white tank and a black cap?
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Clutch,
I have an SOB with electric slides. Guess who makes the electric slides for this one. Yep! Lippert.

Narrows the search even further.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:27 PM   #8
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
Maybe there is a very small rough spot that service people are not seeing. Does not take much. Something to think about.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote