Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
danandbetty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10132
Wiring new style slide switch to old wiring?

Recently I had to upgrade my old unidirectional hydraulic slide motor (02 Montana)to the newer bidirectional motor system ($1200). The problem was that my slides would not reliably retract and old parts were non existant. Now that I have the newer system installed I'm still having occaisional problems so I bought a new slide switch thinking it may have been contributing to the problems. No breaker problems and everything else checks out so all that's left is the switch.

The new switch has 5 beyonet pin connecters in one row and my old system had 6 in two rows of 3 each. How can I know which wires connect to which pins? Anyone have experience with this upgrade or know where I may get more information?

Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts.

danandbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:06 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Chief,
I would check with Lippert or call Team Montana. Either way ask both for wiring breakouts of both switches and then tackle it.
P.S. Welcome home.
Good luck,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I dunno if this will help, but it tells alot about the slide system and on page 12 it shows a wiring diagram of sorts. Read thru it all if you have time ... troubleshoots several things.
http://www.eaa1358.com/Passport/Slid...ideout-Web.pdf
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:47 AM   #4
danandbetty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10132
Thanks guys. I studied the lip sheets and found no detail on the switch wiring and then called Rick at Lippert. He couldn't quickly find a reference that would guide me in correctly connecting the wiring harness so he's researching it and promised to call me back. Hopefully he'll come thru.

Same ol' issue: My old reliable Montana has first generation systems and parts that have been upgraded at least twice since '02 when it was manufactured. Lippert's version of 'old switch' is a switch newer than mine. Not blaming Lippert - they've provided good technnical support...it's just what happens with vintage equipment.

The service manual for hydraulic slide is helpful to a point (I downloaded it previously) but it is for a newer slide system than mine. Now that I've replaced my old system with a newer bi-directional motor and pump system that part of the owners manual if pertinent for me. Thanks..all your comments help me.
danandbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:19 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Chief,
If you are good with a ohm meter you can check continuity on the new switch and chase wires and their color on the installation. I feel the wires from the pump motor system are one continuous run to your switch. It is a pain but another way to solve the problem. One thing to check between the old and new switch is their current rating. Make sure the new one is as high or higher rating than the old one.

Please keep us informed.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote