Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Battery switch off but Rear legs have power?

So today I put on the J T Strong arms I bought at Goshen in Sept 08
Well when I left the unit i shut off the battery switch so as not to run dn the battery. So today when I get to the storage lot I just go to the rear jacks on the switch in the rear curb side and hit the button and they went down ,, I rechecked the battery switch , it was off, Why is there power to the jacks and nothing else , I tried everything ,,sailer

sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
John, I am assuming that you aren't hooked to shore power. I will check mine but I think the situation is the same with our Big Sky. Other than disconnecting the battery I haven't a clue... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Mine is the same. I'm not sure why they direct wire the landing gear and stabilizer motors.

The only thing that you can do is disconnect the battery cables, or install another battery cut off switch to the landing gear and stabilizers.
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:55 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The slides work in front of the master switch too.

Gives you a little false sense of happiness have a battery shutoff switch doesn't it?

The only thing I can figure is the heavy load items such as the gear, slides, and stabs come directly from the battery with resettable breakers rather than going through the 12V breaker panel. Given the actual location of the master switch, it was propably easier to just catch the main cable running up to the breaker panel rather than coming back back forward to the battery and catch all the direct powered equipment.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:58 AM   #5
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Just install a master cut off at the battery location, can find them at almost any parts store. We haven't had this problem as we are hooked up to 50 amps most all time except when we are on the Raod. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:43 AM   #6
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Delaine and Lindy

Just install a master cut off at the battery location, can find them at almost any parts store. .....
I'm no electrician, and certainly no expert on the subject, but if you are going to add a cut off switch, I think it would behoove one to make sure and use a quality one that has an amperage rating that is up to the task.

On my SOB TT, I have one of those cheapo knife style cut off switches, which has fairly high amp rating, but I think it is kind of cheesy looking. For my Montana 5er, I would look into a higher end type of switch, like the factory one that is in the convenience center.

Can any electricians weigh in on the subject of different types of switches?

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:43 AM   #7
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
KTManiac:
I looked at those knife switches at Camping world Saturday. I agree that they look cheesy and not very durable at all. Especially with the weight of the cable hanging from it as it bounces down the road.
I personally disconnect the battery's (-) cable from the battery. My old SOB had wing nuts on the battery that made it easy to disconnect it. I think I'll get wing nuts for this camper too.
mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote