Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2008, 12:20 PM   #1
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
Lock not turning

Strange, I cannot for the life of me lock my outside control panel to the slide rooms, landing gear, etc. Basically the most important thing I feel needs to be locked, I can't lock, so anyone can walk right up and press the buttons and possibly kill me or the dogs inside. I know this isn't likely to happen but it really bugs me that I can't lock it! I don't know what to do. It was working fine before, and then someone came by today to do something and accidentally unlocked the wrong panel but didn't lock it back. My cargo key still works fine on all the cargo locks, just not that lock anymore, I can't tell if it goes in all the way or not but it will NOT turn no matter what I do. I spent half an hour jimmying it all different ways. What happened? How do I fix it?

blamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:46 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Blamb:
Open that door up and then put the key in the lock and try to turn it. If it won't turn, then it's jammed. You can get a new lock from Camping World or any RV accessory store. They are a very common item and are inexpensive. It's called a 751 lock and is common to RVs.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:12 PM   #3
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Try spraying some graphite onto the key and then see if you can then turn the key. The graphite can help lubricate the tumblers. Also, make sure the door latch is able to turn, the edge of the door frame may be stopping.

Just a couple of thoughts
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:24 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I am assuming you 751 key opens/closes that lock. I had a lock that the key would not open on my fresh water fill. I had not used it in a long time and it seemed to be frozen. I was able to pop the lock open with a large screw driver without breaking anything.

I then removed the lock and started cleaning it and getting some WD-40 down into the mechanism. The lock finally loosened up and is working fine now.

If you can take the nut on the back of the door off, you can slip the lock mechanism out of the door to work on it. Graphite or WD-40 should help loosen it up. If not, any RV supply store will have one.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Since you posted earlier that the temps were getting below freezing, you might try to use a hair dryer on the lock also. It may have some moisture in it and is froze. If that works, then spray the liquid graphite in the lock and open the key slot slightly with the point of the key and spray the graphite in there also! If that doesn't work then the new lock is the answer!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 03:28 PM   #6
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
I have had a similar problem with the locks on my basement doors. My dealer told me they have several small ball bearings in the lock that it turns on. These bearings will stick and bind up from time to time if they get dry. My dealer told me to get a can of spray silicon with a straw on it and spray it into the lock. After spraying the lock a couple of times and then trying to get it to move with the key it finally started turning. It was still a little rough operating; but, after a couple more sprays of the silicon it started working just fine. I now keep all my locks sprayed with silicone and have not had any more problems. I hope this helps.
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 03:42 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Blamb,
If the lock turns when the door is open then it is the frame of the compartment that is holding it back. If that is the case, try different amounts of pressure on the door panel next to the lock. Press in hard on the door and try to turn the lock, but only if when you checked it with the door open and it turned.

Also, with the door open, put the key in and violently jerk it up, down, and sideways, while trying to turn it. That may get the tumbler(s) that may be stuck to loosen up.

All the other advice given is good advice also.

Good luck.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:37 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
It may be a defective key, also. Last year my cousin bought a brand new Montana. His key would open every lock except the one at the back covering the older style water fill area. My key worked fine in that lock and all his others. Since we had two fully functional keys I just swapped a key with him. So you might try someone else's key before assuming something is wrong with the lock.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:42 PM   #9
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
I've had to work on all my storage doors. I removed the screw on the back of the lock, then pulled the lock and put grease around the inside and slid it back together. CAUTION: BE VERY VERY CAREFUL AND NOT DROP THE LITTLE BALL WHEN REMOVING THE LOCK. Those little buggers are hard to find in the grass.

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:53 AM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Old Fogies,
And how would you know that?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:57 AM   #11
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908