Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2008, 03:19 AM   #1
corncob
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8226
Monty Keyes

News to me but yesterday I was told the key to the various external storage areas, etc are standard and used on many models, including SOBs. This could present an issue for less than honest people.
Has anyone changes the locks to non-standard?
Happy Trails

corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:52 AM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Most all external storage keys seem to be the same. I guess it is just a matter of how comfortable you are where you camp. There are aftermarket key and lock sets out there if you feel you need to change out. Probably if I am moving from place to place I would change my locks, but that is just my opinion.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:48 AM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Corncob, this is one of the first questions I asked after joining MOC. Most of the replies ran towards "don't bother changing them as the doors are so flimsy they can be pried open with a screwdriver". I changed them anyway. The new locks are available at CW but those replacement locks are all keyed alike also. For mine the locks were 1 1/4 inch cabinet locks and can be purchased at any lock shop for a couple bucks each. I went with a standard type key but you can also get the "Acme" style barrel locks like on a coke machine. It is very easy to change them, just unscrew the lock tab from the end of the lock and then loosen the large nut on the backside of the lock. Pay attention to the washer positions as those washers can and probably should be used again. After the nut is removed the lock pops right out. Just reverse procedure with new locks. My total cost was under 16.00... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:03 AM   #4
corncob
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8226
Dave, thanks and I will put it on my To Do List. Saving the list for Jan/Feb to keep me out of trouble.
Regards
corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:14 AM   #5
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
corncob, don't feel bad about not knowing about the keys. A friend of mine has been camping for about 30 years and just found out that I could get into his compartments with my keys.
If you change the locks, look for the longer catch that turns down on the inside, it may take a little longer to get in then!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:01 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Locks are to keep honest people honest PERIOD
If a thief wants in no lock will stop him.
Even different locks that have a key slot can be opened with a screwdriver. Force the screwdriver into the slot and give it a twist. The entire lock assembly will turn.
With the "Acme" barrel type just force the screwdriver between the door and the door frame a pry it open.
Either form of entry would take less than 15 seconds.
Save your money and put it towards more meaningful uses such as fuel.
With nearly 5 years of Full Timing I have never had anything stolen out of a compartment AND I have never met anyone personally who has had anything stolen from his/her compartment. OH Sure, You will always have the one that says "A friend of my brother-in-law's, cousin's, brother's, Uncle had his compartments broken into." I truly hate hear-say stories and that's usually all you ever get.

One more time...
LOCKS ARE TO KEEP HONEST PEOPLE HONEST!!!!
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:38 PM   #7
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
What Glenn says is true. They only keep the honest people out. Your keyed car door locks can be opened with a screw driver too.
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:00 PM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ditto Glenn's comments.

Only time we had something stolen was when we left a few brewskies under the 5er overhang for a couple of nights in a state campground. DUHHHHH, Full of teenagers, we gave them an open invitation. more DUHHHHHHHHHH

Now, if you have to leave your unit in a storage area between trips, then, sighhhhhhhh, we feel for ya, but, that does not change the fact that in seconds the locks can be sprung and then you have a messed up door. You don't want to know what you might have to go through to get a new door. GROANNNNN
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:10 PM   #9
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
Here is my reasoning, warped as it may be. If you leave it open they take 50 maybe a 100 dollars of stuff. If you lock it they open it with a screw driver and you pay a 500.00 deductible, time in the shop, wrong parts ordered, wrong color shipped etc etc. The only reason I lock mine is for the added safety of keeping the compartment closed when turning. You don't say what trailer you have but if you have the 3400 with the laundry chute now were talking. You bust the lock crawl in thru the laundry chute then help your self to whats inside!!! These things were not meant to be secure.
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:48 AM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Just think, if you lock your keys inside, you can have your neighbor open your door for you. A Montana door key will open the door handle lock. It will not open the deadbolt, you need a screw driver for that.

Also, your CH751 key will fit almost all other MH's and travel trailers, so think of the possibilities. It would be like a live in Wally-world. (Just kidding, you know)
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 05:01 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Changing locks is useless. You can get through the compartment door with a fingernail clipper. The 751 key is prety much universal.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:04 AM   #12
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
One thing to think about when in storage is to leave the bathroom door open over the laundry shoot. Even if they get into the basement, this may put a damper on going thru the shoot into the rest of the unit.
It was just recently that rames14 had his unit broke into and several others at the same storage place. If the thieves want in and they have a little time, they will get in, one way or another.
My brothers mh was broke into, first they pryed at the deadbolt with no success, then breaking a window out and gaining entry there. If the crooks have time, and location, it will happen, no matter what you do except maybe an alarm system of some kind. The best thing is to not give the thieves an opportunity.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:00 AM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Just think, if you lock your keys inside, you can have your neighbor open your door for you.
I did this. Just wanted to see the look on a neighbor's face. Wife left for work and accidentally took both sets of 751 keys. Walked over to him and asked if I could borrow his key as my wife had mine. Walked over, unlocked my compartment, came back and handed him the keys. Then watched as the years of false sense of security drained out of his face...

I know, I'm mean sometimes...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:33 PM   #14
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I did the same with my Brother-in-law. We were working on his rig. He said, "Let me get the keys." I said, "Never mind, I will use mine." Jaw drop.....
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:50 PM   #15
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
They have all been using that same key for at least 35 years that I'm aware of, probably more
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:55 PM   #16
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
For that type of lock I used to keep a two pronged echo fastener in my desk drawer at work. All desk drawers, and some simple wooden file cabinets, and computer hutches have that type of a lock, just a little bar on the back. Whenever anyone left there keys at home, or lost one, I would use the echo fastener and open their lock for them. It also works on the trailer compartment doors.

The problem is if you cannot show forced entry you may not be able to claim insurance. That's something to think about.

As for opening the bathroom door you need to be a little more creative than that. The laundry door will still open a little bit, and a stick from the ground will push the door open, or closed, and they are in.

I think if you did a poll on how many have had things taken over the years you would be surprised to find that the list is very small. Yes, there have been cases, but when you consider the vast numbers of campers, the list is small.

An opportune time for the not so bold is when there is an event going on in the area and all the campers are attending the event. There is no watchguard security and that leaves the pickings to the crooks. Something to think about on a rally that is out in nowhere and lots of stuff going on.

As previously posted many times, locks are for honest people.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 06:23 PM   #17
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
I make keys at work and the CH751 is a very common key that will fit locks for many different uses. Dave bought new locks at CW but the shafts were too short to fit. Will return them and get new ones. I agree about the keeping honest people honest, but I will feel better when we have new locks. We went to Lazy Days a month ago to look at the 3400RL. The salesman didn't have a key to open the hatch...but I did!! He was a little surprised by it. I wondered about the hatch also. I have thought about putting some kind of latch and padlock on the stairs. I guess I am just paranoid, but I don't ever want to be surprised by what dishonest people can do. It's nice to read Glen's comments on never hearing about any thefts in 5 years of fulltiming. I look to all you RV veterans for comfort and wisdom....Joanie
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:18 AM   #18
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
A good friend of mine bought a brand new SOB and not only did I show him that I could unlock his storage doors, I said would`nt it be funny if I could unlock your entrance door!! I tried it and it opened, He and I laughed and wondered how could that happen?? But it did and He had his lock changed asap.
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:24 PM   #19
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
We were grateful to have the bathroom door closed as we couldn't get the main door to open. We sent the grandson up through the laundry chute to open it on the inside. We ended up having to replace the whole unit which you can buy at any RV supply place... about $41.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:37 PM   #20
johnp4191
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6664
We put household deadbolt locks on the door and storage doors. It took a bit of cutting on the aluminum frames, but not too bad. The storage doors are foam filled and covered with the thin plastic covering, so not much to break through if someone really wants in and has a bit of time. Those had to have a backing piece put on, as the doors are too thin for the locks. We've never had a problem, but I do like having a lock that is not the same as all others! Judi
johnp4191 is offline   Reply With Quote