Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2008, 05:23 PM   #1
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Toilet riser

Has anyone installed the Thetford toilet riser that is available from CW etc? Description implies that it should work with our Sealand toilets. Just wondering if it is a successful addition, No leaks or other hidden pitfalls?

Any insights much appreciated.

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:27 AM   #2
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
I don't know about CW but we had the riser installed in our 3400RL prior to taking delivery. It seems to wobble somewhat and there is some seepage. It may be because the riser overlaps the heat register which does not allow it to tighten down flush to the floor.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:59 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I installed the riser under our Thetford toilet and there is no rocking. It's completely stable. It sure makes it easier to sit when you've just gone through a knee revision and back surgery that included two laminectomies and three fusions.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:18 AM   #4
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Ours is a Sealand and as I mentioned the riser seems to cover part of the outside portion of the register. Does yours miss the register? Our Cedar Creek had a Thetford which we liked better than the Sealand. I'm trying to find out if I can replace it without a lot of extra work.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:45 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
John,
I have a riser for a Sealand sitting on the floor in the garage. I believe it is 3". I don't know the MFG, but it was on the Sealand 510.

I'm sure we can come to some arrangement.

When I was having problems with the old Sealand, I asked for a replacement and paid the difference for an upgrade to the 510 model with sprayer hose (good choice). I needed it for my knees. There are different heights to toilets and I opted for the 17" and the riser. When DW sat down, her feet didn't reach the floor. (Bad choice) So I (had it)removed the riser.

Edited: The riser I have may be the 2 1/2 Inch riser and it fits the Sealand 510 model.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:26 AM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Wayne,
Thanks for the offer. I guess this is a case where timing is everything, just before I saw your message, I called the RV shop where our trailer is having its fridge fixed, and it turned out that they had a riser in stock, so I just asked them to install it for me while they had the trailer there. We are hoping to go on a camping trip after we pick up the trailer, having the riser already in place will make things much easier. (Donna is waiting for a knee replacement and finds the present toilet too low).

Again, thank you for the offer, maybe someone else will this thread and take you up on it.

(on edit: there is no heat vent in the toilet room of our '05, so that should not be a problem).
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:14 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'm glad you found one close by and having it installed. One item I found when they installed the new riser and toilet on mine is that the technician (Not my usual one) use wood screws that protruded down into the basement by about an inch. I did not like that at all, and as we know, the type of action that contraption gets, like rolling, rocking and pogo, those wood screws are really not the way to go.

When we removed the riser we went down with bolts with supporin flat washers. It's as solid as a rock now.

By the way, if the new riser doesn't work out for Donna, point her to a taller tree to lean against!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:44 PM   #8
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
We used a riser for 4 yrs in the old TT with absolutely no problems. It was a Thetford but worked beautifully. The new fiver had the tall toilet so no riser was needed. Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:20 PM   #9
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I installed the riser 4 years ago on the Thetford easy install no problems after 4 years we love it!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote