Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2008, 06:39 PM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
water leak thru slide floor

We spent alot of today driving thru rain and wet roads. When we climbed inside the rig after getting to the campground, we found a wet carpet in the forward edge of the living room floor, just aft of the entry door and between the slide and the door. I assume that the water got thrown up by the tires and got around the slide seals somehow. I recall others reporting problems like this, but I don't remember what they did to fix the problem, and I can't find the old threads thru the search engine.

Anyone with advice on what we can do to fix the water leak problem?

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:26 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
When we had that problem there was a missing seal. I don't know if it fell off or was never there. That was on our 3295. Another possibility is the slide is misaligned. I'd bet on a missing or damaged seal, though. Or a seal somehow getting bent under when the slide travels in.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:50 AM   #3
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
We had the same thing...our rear kitchen area in front of the refer was soaked. Dealer found the living area slide was not in far enough. Of course, we haven't tried it yet.

Lambchop
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:34 AM   #4
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
David, We had the same leak. That front corner does not fit the seal. Had to build it up with up with a stickey sided tape that is used on pickup bed rails when installing a canopy.
good luck. I sent you an email.

Dick
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:12 AM   #5
kegger5769
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4412
We have a 3400 and have had water thrown up by the tires on the kitchen floor and found the cause to be the seals around the slidout where not sitting properly, caused by me only opening the slide part way.
I have found if you move any slide open, open it all the way, then back in and the seals seem to do there job.
kegger5769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:19 AM   #6
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
My preliminary check of the seals at the bottom of the slide don't show any problem--I'll check it more closely when we get into Dawson Creek this afternoon.

But Keggers' experience may be relevant to what happened to us. There was so much water on top of the big living room slide topper yesterday morning that we paused several times while retracting the slide to let the water run off the slide topper. Maybe pausing like that--which is not something we normally do--caused the seal at the bottom to not seat properly.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:35 AM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
David

We frequently do what you did to get all that water off the top of the slide toppers, and so far, KNOCK ON WOOD, we have not had the leaking problem on the slide.

Not sure if you do like we do, but we only stop for maybe 10 seconds, and let the water roll off, then continue. Stop again, let more water off.

Note, we are only going OUT, not IN, then OUT.

My take on it, is, that if you went part way out, say at a rest stop, then back in, those seals might get all twisted up and not function as intended.

I don't think (my opinion, take it for what cha want ! )

that just stopping to let the water roll off a slide topper is not going to affect the seals.

Good luck finding the answer, let us know, ok??

And, enjoy that Alaska trip, you are living one of our dreams.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 01:24 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Hmmm, never thought about stopping the slide. We normally just retract and let the water run down the side of the slide. We did learn that Vicki should knock on the wall before retracting slides so I can step back out of the way. Water is one thing but when it's sheet ice coming off the slide, that hurts!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote