Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2007, 03:05 PM   #1
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Check Valve Stuck

For those of you who don't know me, I'm 6-02 and 265 pounds - not a weakling.

I cannot get the check valve unscrewed from the hot water heater. Any suggestions? And, yes, I'm turning it in the right direction...

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:11 PM   #2
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
If you can take the pipe off first.
Try a Socket on an impact gun ? light bursts to loosen it.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:25 PM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Al has retired for the night, but the way I remember it, there was a bit of mumbling and growling involved in the removal of this valve last winter in Mission. May have been the use of a "breaker bar"??? Accompanied by a few scrapes on the ole knuckles. I don't remember if he used any kind of lubricant to "loosen" it. I know it was not easy. And, I know that is not what you wanted to hear...
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:38 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good suggestions, all. I can just add that heat, then cold applied works well. If you can get dry ice, pack the nut as good as you can with it, then immediately loosen the nut. As my wise friend John stated, the impact wrench is great, I don't leave home without mine. This cold application Worked for me in the Machine shop getting parts off the old Diesel Subs. When you put it back on, or the new one, use a small amount of pipe dope, or teflon tape on the threads, after using a wire brush on the female threads.
Good luck buddy.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:25 PM   #5
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Like Ozz said heat/cold works well. If you can get to it with plumbers torch heat it up good then poor cold water over it she will loosen up. Impact might work but don't see how you will get it in there enough unless you have long enough extension to get to it.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:33 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
He did get it off, and Michael installed a filter in there as well, good pictures of the work, real slick job. It must be on another post.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:49 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'd like to see those pictures.

I need to replace that valve in ours as it is still buzzing. We got a new valve the other day. When I changed the one on our 3295rk, it was no problem removing the old one. I hope I don't experience the problems Michael had. I don't know where the w/h is in his 2006 3400 but ours is in the kitchen island where it attaches to the wall. There is just one small access panel on each side. And I mean small. I may have to enlarge it and get a new covering panel if I can't get this thing apart. I'll give it a try next week or this weekend.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:09 PM   #8
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Steve,

Our HWH is in the same place - I removed the cabinet bottom to get access to the HWH. I had previously reinforced the bottom and made sure to reinstall in such a way that I could get to the HWH if needed. See this link:

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=25288
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:19 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snfexpress

Steve,

Our HWH is in the same place - I removed the cabinet bottom to get access to the HWH. I had previously reinforced the bottom and made sure to reinstall in such a way that I could get to the HWH if needed. See this link:

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=25288
Thanks, Michael. That will be VERY helpful. I had not noticed the screws in the cabinet floor but that will make access much easier.

I see your water connections (from outside) are right in the same area. Mine are in the basement so I'll need to install my filter behind the connection center in the basement.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote