Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2007, 09:27 AM   #1
renkat

M.O.C. #7728
Holding tank leaks

I discovered water dripping from the 3 inch pipe elbow under our 2003 Model 3575 Montana. I removed the bottom panel and found a leak on the bottom of the holding tank. It appeared to have been damaged prior to installation as indicated by the flattening of the creses made for rigidity. I sealed the leak with JB Weld. One week later, it has again began leaking water, which smells like black water, from the 3 inch drain elbow. Has anyone had problems with leaking holding tanks and know how to fix same? Any information on how to install new tanks yourself? REN

renkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:44 PM   #2
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I have the exact same model and year that you do. Highly unusual, I have only run across 6 in the last four years. I, fortunately, have never had your problem. Stay tuned, somebody will probably be along that can help.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:13 PM   #3
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
You can use the black PVC cement, used for putting two PVC pipes together.
Clean the area good then lightly sand then apply the black cement and put a couple of coats on it.
You can get the cement at Lowes or Home Depot.
Good luck
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:25 PM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I have had the black tank leak and fixed it with the JB Weld as you did. Did you rough up the pipe before applying the JB Weld? I did not the first time I tried to fix it and it failed. The second time I roughed up the pipe with a wire wheel on my dremel tool and to this day (knock on wood) it is holding.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 11:51 AM   #5
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Plumbers Goop!
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 12:06 PM   #6
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Eternabond makes a tape for this
http://www.eternabond.com/detail.asp?id=ebas
make sure you drill a small hole at each end of the crack to keep it from getting longer. Do a search on the internet for Aseal and you will find several places selling short lengths of it for a reasonable price
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:54 PM   #7
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
We had a 2005 Montana 3475 and last winter we had the same problem but from the grey water tank. I was beating my head on the wall blaming myself for maybe doing a bad winterization job but I knew what I did was ok. Anyway we had the tank replaced.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:20 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
renkat,

We had/have a gray water tank leak. The leak is located where the drain pipe connects to the tank. We used the radiator repair kit and it worked for about 6 months. It is leaking again so we've got to take another look at it.

Chester,

Would you mind sharing the general $$$ range we should look for if we have to change out a tank? Also about how long did it take the dealer to get the tank? Or did they have it on hand?

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote