Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2007, 12:38 AM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Frig too cold

Our 2007 Big Sky has the side by side Norcold frig. It has worked great in many respects, but we're now having a problem with it running too cold. During the summer months, we would typically set the temp control at 4 or 5 (1 being for the warmest setting, 9 the coldest). After we got out West and things got a bit colder outside, we found that the frig was getting too cold at that setting and turned it to a lower/warmer number. We finally turned it to the warmest setting ("1"), but are still finding it too cold inside--we've had some tomatoes freeze when they were too close to the fins in the back of the frig, and have had ice form on lettuce leaves in the frig. We're also getting lots more frost inside on the fins in the frig and on the walls in the freezer, even though the humidity is very low out here in Utah. In fact, the temp sensor on the fins is in the area that is frosted over, so it should be recording the frig as being too cold.

I suspect I've got a bad temp control, but I'm not anywhere near a dealer and won't be for at least another month or two--one of the few drawbacks to being out here visiting all these lovely national parks in southern Utah.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to alleviate the situation for the next month or so before I can get it checked out at a dealer?

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 02:21 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
David, either it is bad, or the control that it controls is bad, if you could send me a wiring diagram, I will look at it and see if I can give you more infomation. (It sounds like it's the thermostat.)
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 04:16 AM   #3
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
We had a similar problem three different times on the refrig in two different campers. The fridges have a "Thermister", and if it fails, the unit doesn't cycle as is should. In our Dometic Fridge I have done the replacement myself by just using the old wire to pull the new wire through. The new thermister cost about $13 and can be purchased at most any RV shop. The dealer I use always has several on hand. My guess is that the problem is more likely the thermister than the thermostat/control system.

Good luck! Its a real pain to have to cycle the unit on/off manually.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:30 AM   #4
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160

We had a similar problem to yours on our previous rig and the problem was the thermocoupler was not hooked up to the control Board in the backside of the frig. We drove 150 miles to find out it was unhooked, I felt really dumb.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:42 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
This unit may very well use a thermister instead of a bi-metal thermostat, if it is hooked up, it's probably a defective control board, or maybe it adjusts on the board..don't know, haven't seen the wiring.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 10:09 AM   #6
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Ours has a sensor that clips to the cooling fins. If memory serves right move the sensor up makes the frige run cooler and down warmer. Just an idea.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote