Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2007, 02:28 PM   #1
fla hobo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #166
340RLQ or 3400

I know I have not been on here forever...........sorry.... busy life.We have bought a 340RLQ Big Sky a few months ago.

We love it, mostly. Got a few issues.

We are hosting in a camper ground in Iowa & have free laundry. Ernie got the washer/dryer installed & had me check it out to see if every thing worked ok. Well it works but there is a big problem with the closet door being in the way of turning the knob. We thought about just flipping the door around to the otherside but then wouldn't beable to get the drawer out to put the det. or softener in.
Was wondering if anyone else has had this problem & if so what was your fix?

fla hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:02 PM   #2
eztraveler2000
Established Member

M.O.C. #1441
Some have taken the bi-fold door and converted it to a regular door by using that lock at the top of the door or possibly putting a couple of small plates on the back side of the doors to keep them from folding and then putting hinges on the side and a latch on the other side and operate the door like a conventional door. This may give you the necessary clearance you need.
eztraveler2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:14 PM   #3
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
We have the 340 and I have the same problem and have not found an answer yet. I just have to guess what setting to put it on. I got up on a chair to read what it says. I like the Whirlpools. They hold really large loads, but the controls are hard to reach in the space allowed. There is also a pull out filter on the bottom of the washing machine that I cannot clean because it is inaccessible.
kwolff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:23 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I tried a couple of methods recommended by others and finally found one that works for us. Reversing the doors would work except then it wouldn't let the drawer pull all the way out. I then took a tip from a couple of others and moved the hinges so that each door was hinged separately. The left door hinged on the left and opened from the middle. The right door hinged on the right and opened from the middle. The lock at the top is used to keep them closed.

When I first did this it didn't work very well because the hinges were too thick and the doors would bind when you closed them. I finally got some thinner piano hinges and used those. The other methods have worked for others but just wouldn't work on ours.

We added a knob to the second door, identical to the other one. They're available at Home Depot / Lowe's. At least ours were.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:39 PM   #5
fla hobo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #166
[b][u]Thank you for the ideas.

We have thought of both og these fixes but hated to try it with out knowing for sure. I like each one opening up. I think that would work best in our case also.

I'll let you know if that is what we do & if it works for us.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:58 PM   #6
dscott
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6661
I done mine like eztraveler 2000 and it works great.
dscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:59 PM   #7
judyuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5363
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

I tried a couple of methods recommended by others and finally found one that works for us. Reversing the doors would work except then it wouldn't let the drawer pull all the way out. I then took a tip from a couple of others and moved the hinges so that each door was hinged separately. The left door hinged on the left and opened from the middle. The right door hinged on the right and opened from the middle. The lock at the top is used to keep them closed.

When I first did this it didn't work very well because the hinges were too thick and the doors would bind when you closed them. I finally got some thinner piano hinges and used those. The other methods have worked for others but just wouldn't work on ours.

We added a knob to the second door, identical to the other one. They're available at Home Depot / Lowe's. At least ours were.
Thanks Steve. We were also wondering how to do it. Now we just have to decide whether to buy a stacking unit or all in one.
Judy
judyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:39 AM   #8
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
Thanks for the ideas. I think we will try Steve's idea.........if I can get John to do it. You must have a drawer to clean out at the bottom like we do.
kwolff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:57 AM   #9
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
This works fairly easy. Take the pin out at the top left hand side. Leave the door lock in the lock position. The door will then open like a full door. Mount a couple of cabinet door latches on the door and door frame to keep the door shut. Works well. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:35 AM   #10
Verle and Sue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3960
We have the 340RLQ and the Splendide Ariston Stackable. When the dealer installed them we discussed what to do about the door and settled on just switching the side it hinges on. True you can't get the detergent door ALL the way open, but it opens far enough to reach all the little compartments (with the detergent, softener, etc.) so we just use it that way. Sue and Verle C
Verle and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:24 PM   #11
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
I just took the hinges and rotated them 90 deg and put them back on so now the door is one piece. I removed the pin at the top left of the door so it would now hinge out on the right side then purchased 2 magnetic catches so the door would stay closed and finally removed the slide catch in the middle and moved it to the left side of the door to hold the door closed during travel. Works great.

Dick
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:40 PM   #12
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
I did this mod to my sisters 3400 in February, or was it March (?) when we were in Florida for my nieces horse show. We did as Steve did. We didn't use the factory hinge, nor did we use piano hinges. We did use those hinges that fold into one another like they use in mobile homes. It worked fine and she was able to access as her laundry drawers and pull outs. It actually was nice to open them all the way and not have them sticking out into the room.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:55 AM   #13
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Another advantage to the single door fix mentioned by Kerry and others(ours opens to the right) is it gives more room to load and unload the washer and dryer. On our 3400 DW sets clothes basket at bottom of riser steps, and uses end of kitchen counter for folding table. All of this can be done without a door or half-door in the way. Of course there is still the problem of the top entry step!!!! Anybody who has fell there doing laundry, or just walking by, knows what I mean!! Don't ask how I know this, but I must confess to a fit of laughing excessively and receiving dagger-like stares as a result.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:30 PM   #14
fla hobo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #166
Thanks for all the in put. I like the one door idea the best. Have to see what our dealer will do for us.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:10 PM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We also have the one door setup with our 3400 and Ariston stackables. Only we did not change hinge location. We just bought a simple latch - one is all we need to latch the door on the left side door jam. We only locked the latch in the top middle and it swings as a single door into the doorstep well and keeps Cheryl from stepping there. She has no problem having plenty of clearance to do everything. We absolutely LOVE these Ariston stackable machines. Huge step up from the combo units...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:45 PM   #16
fla hobo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #166
When we need to replace our washer/dryer I will go to a stackable. I hate to loose some of my storage space tho, thats where all the cleaning stuff is.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:14 PM   #17
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We have been looking at the Big Sky 340RLQ. Cheryl is drooling over the 12 cu ft fridge option. Kitchen area and an outlet in the basement seems to be the only differences between this and what we already have.

Cheryl wants to know when we can trade up to the Big Sky. I told her, as soon as I upgrade to a bigger tv...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote