Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2007, 11:20 AM   #1
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
A crack maybe ???

This is our third Montana and what we are seeing along the bedroom front side never happened with the other two.
When we were loading up, I notice a "hairline scratch". Thought maybe we rubbed against a tree branch the week before and it would rub out.
Today I glanced at it again and the paint is bubbling and the scratch is getting longer running up. Took a real good look at it and the paint is all cracked around this line going up. There is another one forming by the section toward the front underneath part of the unit. Inside, about where these cracks/lines is the closet under the TV. We've been camping where there are very few trees, so Chuck hasn't touched anything since we left home.
Are we starting to see something serious?
Of course, we can't call the dealer. Moving to Virginia on Wed. so maybe we can call our dealer then.

Any ideas what this might be?

Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 04:23 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Yes, it is serious and indicates some unwanted frame flex. You can stop the crack from going any further by drilling a small hole at the end of the crack. However, if your unit is under warranty, get it to the dealer!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:23 PM   #3
dmorgan817
Established Member

M.O.C. #6216
check my ealier post (exterior crack) and see if you have anything like our crack. We are taking ours in Saturday to be repaired. Our thoughts are with you too.

Debbie
dmorgan817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:23 AM   #4
littlespud
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1696
This is something that appears to be showing up more frequently, than not. I have a 2005 3400RL; I noticed a crack looking at the bedroom extension, upper right side, and the crack is heading to the roof. At one of the Northwest rallies, I showed people what was happening, and one of my friends showed me the same crack, same place on their rig. He contacted Keystone, "short story" they had him take it to one of their manufacture plants, and they fix it by putting a expansion plate behind the crack, and a piece of molding on top. But that's not all, they pulled the underbelly, and found the all the wields had broken facing the pin, they were all broke on the left side, front to back. Well guess what, I just took mine in to the dealer after three months of contact with keystone, and the dealer, I had to finally put my foot down, and insist that they look at the problem, they had taken pictures of the crack, and sent them to Keystone. They pulled the underbelly off, and the same thing as happened to mine, wields on the left side facing the pin were all broke. The pictures of the broken wields have been sent to Keystone, and now we are waiting to hear back. The dealer tried to tell me the crack was caused by a stress point at that corner, "has nothing to do with the wields being broke", "not so sure, but can prove otherwise", and that on the new rigs, keystone has now put in a stress joint, there will be a piece of molding at the upper right corner of the bedroom slide. I can't prove that is has been done. I don't believe this is going to be a recall situation, "yet" it is going to be handled individually, so you have to do what you think is right for you. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:25 PM   #5
Dogman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #182
We noticed a problem with ours a few weeks ago. We didn't have any visible cracks outside but what we did see was that the bedroom dresser appeared to have dropped about 1/2" where it contacted the front wall. On the outside the only thing we could see was a slight movement of the moulding on the bottom roadside bedroom area. The defect could only be seen when the trailer was on the pin. As soon as we dropped it onto the landing gear, everything went back to normal. Keystone told the dealer to take some pictures and sent them to them so they could determine if they would pay for repairs or not. Dealer was busy with the Hershey show the past week so we still haven't heard anything. Hopefully, it will get fixed without a big hassle.
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 03:13 PM   #6
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
We'll be home next week so we will take it to our dealers to see what they have to say.
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:06 AM   #7
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
What has been explained above is exactly what has happened to my 2004 3670RL. Keystone had me take it to a factory in Oregon for repairs, which I thought they did. I had broken welds on passenger side by the king pin. Well I have noticed that I still have the molding dropping a little and the bedroom slide is off kilter when closed. I took down the fiberglass panel by the king pin and found that more welds have broken and that the factory did not fix the broken welds that I first reported. I now have an additional 2 fatigue fractures in the plate that the siding is bolted to. My suggestion to you is to contact Team Montana and report the problem, and if they authorize repair, you should inspect the repaired area before the close it up again. I wanted to inspect the area of repair while we were in Oregon but they said I could not go into the repair area. In hind site I should have had them pull it out to an area where I could inspect it then take it back in and put the panel back up. I am now waiting to hear from Team Montana regarding another repair authorization.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:56 PM   #8
littlespud
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1696
Here are the pictures of my 3400RL after it was repaired because of a line crack along the side of the upper BR pull out. right side corner of the main body on the coach:

http://www.picturetrail.com/littlespud

I would have made it an actual link, but don't know how. Take a good look how they cross-braced the front hitch, and used angle iron for the corners. They are also adding additional wood braces to the sides of the coach up where the stress crack is. I am trying to get them to replace the damaged crack, which would require replacing the whole side of the coach, still working that issue. To put the wood braces in, the service manager told me he would have to take the whole roof off, and replace it also. He was waiting to hear back fro Keystone. Will keep you all up todate.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:07 PM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Gary,
Sure hope it works.

Orv
Old 10-16-2007, 02:17 PM   #10
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Gary, was it the dealer or was it Keystone that designed the angle iron and gussets that were welded in on your frame?
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:58 AM   #11
littlespud
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1696
Doug,
Actually Keystone gave the dealer permission to hire a local wielder, but the dealer said Keystone provided them the kit and instructions to fix the flexing problem. Now keep in mind I'm just telling what I've been told. I will go down tomorrow to see the progress on the replacement wood supports.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:00 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I thought this"FRAME FLEX" problem was corrected some time ago. Is this something new and unrelated to the original problem??My Built in April of 06 3400 has taken a lot of road miles and therefore a lot of bouncing around. I will be taking a very close look .
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:39 PM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I'm going to be very blunt and honest here. The frame flex repairs that I paid for back in June here in Marion, IA were extremely good and there was no guessing. The owner of Truck Builders (they build and rebuild truck bodies, cabs, and frames) personally inspected every inch of the front end of our frame and verified that there was NO frame flexing when they finished. They didn't use any guess work when it came to making the repairs nor did they spare any metal when making the gussets and welding a 4" X 8' X 1/4" steel plate across the front of the frame to prevent any bowing in the cross-wise (horizontal) part of the frame when the king pin was raised. I can't say enough about them and they do all the rebuild of Keystone frames sent to them by my dealer--who I've said over and over is the best dealer around.

Orv