Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2007, 01:14 PM   #1
otto0813
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5620
tripping breaker

we have a 2006 3000RK - the 20 amp circuit breaker for the converter keeps tripping - 3X. It all seems to be connected with the refrig. changing from butane to electric and vice versa. Does anyone have experience with this problem? We've had it in the shop and service doesn't find a problem. HELP!

otto0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 02:00 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
First, hope it is propane, not butane,

Next, check your unit for recall. OK, guys, anyone got that URL for the recall data, is it on our Home page??

ok, try these links:

http://www.montanaowners.com/

http://www.montanaowners.com/RVRelatedLinks.html

http://www.dometic.com/default.aspx?id=3

I did not look around at the dometic site, but believe there is recall info on that. Sorry do not recall the dates of manufacture that are involved, that is why I suggest looking at it as a possible.

Good luck in finding the problem and getting it resolved.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:23 PM   #3
otto0813
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5620
Thanks, Carol! First of all, yes you are right, propane, not butane. We are checking on thatrecall at Dometic now. We'll see what develops!
Old 08-26-2007, 04:49 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Since you said it's a 20 amp breaker tripping, can I assume it is the one labeled as the kitchen (or other) circuit and not the main 30 or 50 amp breaker?

If so, the kitchen circuit has more things on it than I think it should and that may be causing your problem. Besides the refrigerator there are several outlets on that circuit. They are spread through the kitchen and other areas near the kitchen. What else do you have plugged in and running?

You can check what all is on that circuit by turning that circuit off with the breaker and then plugging something into each outlet throughout the downstairs part of the coach. Also check which lights are on that circuit.

Most of us have a separate circuit for the water heater. If you do not have a separate circuit, then it may be on the kitchen circuit. In that case, try turning off the electric side of the water heater and using only the propane side. I've never heard of one that didn't have the water heater on its own circuit, though. Look at the breaker panel to see if any is labeled 'water heater' or something similar.

If you find no heavy draw items or not a lot of light draw items on that circuit but still have problems, then there may be something wrong with the refrigerator.

Another possibility is a shorted connection. If you go outside and pull off the cover over the refrigerator you'll find the refrigerator plugs into a standard outlet using a standard cord and plug. You could remove the cover from that outlet and check for loose or shorted wires.

If none of the above, and the refrigerator is ok, then I'd say you probably have a wiring problem in the circuit somewhere. If running a fan or appliance from a kitchen plugin doesn't pop the breaker then my bet would be in the wiring near the refrigerator if not the refrigerator itself. You could try plugging a fan into that outside outlet the refrigerator is plugged into, turn it on and see if it pops the breaker.

If you don't find it yourself I'd keep on the dealer to find this problem.

Good luck.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 05:34 PM   #5
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Otto, I had a similar problem in my 3650rk. Turned out to be a weak gfci outlet feeding the kitchen circuit. I changed that out with a new gfci outlet and all is well now.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:25 AM   #6
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
Otto, Circuit breakers are a wear item. For about 5-10 dollars you can replace the breaker. One thing to try if you've exhausted having an overloaded circuit.
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:57 PM   #7
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Otto, Mr Reigle has this one covered. Please go through his recommendations and report your results. We can then further offer suggestions.
1) He is trying to determine if its a dedicated feed to Fridge, which should not be GFCI.
2) Results may indicate what other loads are potentially being added if you discover non-functioning outlets. Let us know what you typically plug into those outlets.
3) How are you running your fridge when the circuit trips? If in Auto and connected to shore power it will use the electrical element...AC Load...and if defective could go above 20amps.
Please provide input to your findings....
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:21 PM   #8
otto0813
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5620
thanks to all who've sent recommendations. We've been out of pocket this week, but will certainly check out the suggestions and keep this forum posted what we find out. This input also gives us info we can give to the dealer who has yet to find a solution to the problem. It is so heartwarnming to be able to turn to MOC'ers for their input and know that you are so willing to share your experiences and knowledge to us first-time RV owners!

Old 10-12-2007, 03:53 PM   #9
Dont
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6371
Send a message via MSN to Dont Send a message via Yahoo to Dont
Hi Just to let you no I just had to replace my GFI outlet in the kitchen on my 2005 3400RL also I keep having problem with my converter breaker,it keep triping can't fine out why.
Dont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:54 PM   #10
Dont
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6371
Send a message via MSN to Dont Send a message via Yahoo to Dont
Hi Just to let you no I just had to replace my GFI outlet in the kitchen on my 2005 3400RL also I keep having problem with my converter breaker,it keep triping can't fine out why. We are on our way to Az,
Dont is offline   Reply With Quote