Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2007, 05:01 AM   #1
Mattie

M.O.C. #5416
Help

We were recently fishing at Eagle Lake, CA and one afternoon I walked into the Monty and saw millions of ants running along the ceiling, floor, everywhere. In my efforts to rid the Monty of the ants I noticed some spots on the ceiling but at the time I wasn't concerned about spots (stationary ones anyway). Today I decided I needed to look into cleaning the spots. At first I thought they might be caused by condensation but I am not sure now. The spots are yellow in color and they don't wash off. While trying to clean them off I noticed the spots ran in a line across the ceiling and were spaced approximately 15-16 inches apart. Has any one had this problem and if so what did you do? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:41 AM   #2
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Are the spots where the ceiling is attached to the frame members and then the factory put putty in the holes created by the fasteners and wiped them off with a dirty wet rag? I have spots on my ceiling that you can only see when the light is right so I took a warm damp sponge and wiped them down. Still there but they look better.

You can also try some liquid white out in a small area and see if that will do the trick. Worked on a 1" hole that I had to plug in the ceiling.

Dick
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:42 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Believe you are talking about nails, staples, whatever they use to hold the ceiling up.

The yellow stuff is the white putty they use to cover the nails, turned off white, now, yellowish.

Several suggestions have been made as to fix, white out, bleach stick, new putty, cannot remember em all, one couple, if I do remember, even painted the entire ceiling, kilz for primer?? then a good paint.

You could try a search on the subject, but there are times the search engine just is not up to snuff, so, hold on there while some others wander in and give you their solution.

Suggest you do NOT burn candles in the unit, that really makes a messy ceiling. We use a candle warmer.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:27 AM   #4
jmd80ta
Established Member

M.O.C. #6537
On my unit we had those yellow spots and we used "Goofoff" or "Goo be gone" to remove them. This takes out the yellow stains but cleaned off the white paint from the nail heads. I then used white out to cover the nail heads and no more stains. Someone told me these stains were glue marks from installers fingers when they put the ceiling on. Before I tried this, I tried one spot to make sure it didn't take off the finish from the ceiling and it didn't. Did the whole ceiling and now no more yellow stains.

jmd80ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:45 PM   #5
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
In our case it was the putty used by the employees at Keystone. We had been smokers (we're now smoke-free for over 6 months) and the stains got worse. We cleaned the putty off (basically removing most of it) and now have no yellow marks.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:25 PM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Michael,
Congrats on the kicking the habit. Keep it up, I have been smoke free for 1 1/2 years now. The difference is remarkable.....anybody else want to join us????????
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 03:39 AM   #7
Mattie

M.O.C. #5416
Thanks for the imput everyone. Now I just need to get busy and start cleaning spot by spot. I love this website. I've learned so much from all of you. Thank you!
Mattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 03:56 AM   #8
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Michael,
Congrats on the kicking the habit. Keep it up, I have been smoke free for 1 1/2 years now. The difference is remarkable.....anybody else want to join us????????
Bingo
2 1/2 years!!! At least now we don't have to sit on the curb like a couple of transients and smoke. Just bought 2 honda 2000i's with the savings.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 05:46 AM   #9
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
I joined you as a non-smoker in January 1980. Welcome to the club. Maybe now you will awaken in the morning without an awful taste in your mouth. It should also help your sinuses as well as your wallet. So many benefits and no downside.
Dave Nowlin
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 06:54 AM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Don't want to deviate too far off topic, but -

Just quit a month and a half ago - cold turkey after 30 years. It was easy after doc handed me the oxygen cylinder and nasal canula!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote