Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2007, 09:45 AM   #1
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
ceiling fan in an 07 3075

Our ceiling fan in the livingroom turns just fine but doesn't move any aie. We've tried the fan with the switch in both positions but if you are sitting on the sofa or in either of the recliners you can't feel any air movement even though the fan is running on high.

Hven't taken it back to the dealer yet cause it is a 3 hour round trip.

Any suggestions?

Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:52 PM   #2
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Don that is pretty much an impossibility unless of course it doesnt have any blades on it. I think you need to explain that a little more.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:30 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Capt Kidd

Our ceiling fan in the livingroom turns just fine but doesn't move any aie. We've tried the fan with the switch in both positions but if you are sitting on the sofa or in either of the recliners you can't feel any air movement even though the fan is running on high.

Hven't taken it back to the dealer yet cause it is a 3 hour round trip.

Any suggestions?
We've had several ceiling hugger design fans in the stick house. Some move air; some ain't worth a flip. I would think it is the blade angle.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 08:18 AM   #4
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Which way does the fan rotate? looking straight up at the fan it should rotate in a counter clock wise direction to "push" air down on you. Most fans have a "winter mode" switch (little black 2 postition slide control) on the hub. In winter mode the fan rotates clockwise and forces hot air down from the ceiling along the walls. you normally will not "feel" the air movement in that case.

Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:45 AM   #5
rv_nut
Established Member

M.O.C. #6485
If your ceiling fan is near the AC return air vent (mine is), you will not feel any air circulation while the AC is running. The fan is trying to "steal air" from the AC return and is losing the fight. In this case, you should set the fan direction switch to suck air up toward the ceiling, thus aiding the AC return air. With the AC off, you should feel some air movement, although most of it seems to be out from the fan, not directly below it. It's certainly not the flow you get with ceiling fans in your house.

Ken
rv_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:13 AM   #6
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
I have not used my fan for the same reason, little if any air movement from it. I just tried it again, blowing down and I agree it has to be doing something but what. It is so close to the ceiling, I guess it can't get air. I would think slower speeds would be best.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:24 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
It does move air, just not much. The very light duty motor will not stand much of a load, the angle of the blades dictate the load on the motor. If the angle was very aggressive you would have to have a large motor, leading to amperage problems with the light duty wiring and circuits that are already maxed out.
Get an incense stick, (Or three tied together for more smoke,)light it, turn on the fan and you will see the air movement.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:00 PM   #8
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Finally got around to taking to the dealer. The first thing the dealer told me was that it was just the way it was. I told him that I had been in other Montanas and their fans moved air. I challened him to show me any other Montana on his lot that didn't move air.

Well after going around and around I notice that one on the fan blades was at a different pitch than the others. The dealer is supposed to get me all new blades with the same pitch. I told him I wanted the ones with the more aggressive pitch. We will see if this solves the problem.

Spent the 4th installing a stail rail so my 93 year old mom can get up and down the stairs more easily.

Needles to say I was not very impressed with the dealers service. Just got off the phone with them and they told me they had ordered a new set of blades should? arrive in 2 - 3 weeks. Oh well at least we are planning on going thru the dealer town the 26th so we can just stop off and pick them up.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:59 PM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Seems like the whole process would be easier just to replace that $23 fan with another $23 fan that you like, rather than waste time messin with the dealer.

JMHO
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 04:53 PM   #10
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
It's not the blades!! It's the brackets that the blades mount to.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote