Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2007, 11:19 AM   #1
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
Gray water tank leaking

My gray water tank sprung a leak. My wife was taking a shower and filled it up and water started leaking from underneath around the drain pipe where it exits the floor pan under the trailer. I pulled the drain and it quit. I knew I had a problem. I pulled the floor pan and found the leak in the gray water tank outlet. Another extended warranty claim.

kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:18 AM   #2
jimc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #380
I had dripping gray water from the elbow under the belly this past weekend. We filled the tank to about 2" of water in the shower. I drained the tank, and after the water drained from the belly, the leakage stopped. Hmmmmmmm. So today, I filled the gray tank to almost full, and there was no leakage. As I suspected, the tanks have a vacuum breaker - probably just a hose connected to the top of the tanks, so the gray water was overflowing through that. I have probably overflowed the gray tank before, but just haven't noticed it.
jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:59 AM   #3
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
Update: Independent repair shop found a crack as well in gray water tank and has ordered a new one. 6.7 hours labor @ $94/hr. plus the tank and fittings Another time I'm glad I have extended warranty.

Jim (jimc) There would be no need for a vacuum breaker in the gray tank as I see it. The waste tanks are vented through the roof so no sewer gas in your coach. Any vacuum will be broken through the drains or the sewer vent. Did you see a vacuum breaker? Did you pull the underpinning? I know there is one on the black water tank but that is for the flush line. Your leak sounds just like mine.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:10 AM   #4
jimc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #380
Well, I kind of figured they were vented that way too, so why a vacuum breaker? But the Montana dealer I spoke to (actually the parts guy) said the gray tank had one. So I filled up the gray tank after I got back to almost full - and no leak.
jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:47 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Leaks and cracks in the tanks seem to be a issue that crops up quite a bit and my guess is in the units that are used more than the average.It is noted that the repair cost for That ONE tank failure would equal about 3/4 of the premimum we paid for our 7 year extended warranty. We have about 12K + bouncing down the road miles and..a extended warranty on our 13 month old 3400.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:47 AM   #6
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
kmh3212: Going through the same as you right now. I am going to the dealer tomorrow to see about getting a new gray tank under extended warranty. Hopefully they will replace all the old insulation also as the gray has been sitting in the belly for quite a while until it all drains out. While I am there I will see about replacing the stereo (the original Quest.)
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 04:22 PM   #7
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
Extended warranty came through and my gray water tank is now brand new with new valves. Tank was split vertically near outlet valve. Big job. It was about $1000 total! I paid a $50 deductable.